The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

Basically, the sum of this is that ESPN has us taking Joe Alt, LT, Notre Dame & Harris wants the OL rebuilt to be one of the best OLs in the league like the Hogs were. 

Now, every HC/front office person has said this since Norv Turner so, it remains to be seen if it can be done but it seems Harris wants that to be the focus. So, we're probably going LT in R1 & with one of our R2 picks taking a 2nd OT, a C or a G I would guess.

From the week 11 gameday thread bc I thought the discussion fit in here better:

Harris needs to spend most of his resources in a top-notch GM, Assistant GM, Director of Player Personnel, Director of College Scouting, on scouts, etc., etc., etc.

If Harris wants to have one of the top teams in the NFL he needs to build one of the best front offices in the NFL.

That’s where it all starts. Dan Snyder has gone rather cheap on front office staff for 20 plus years. He hasn't had a GM but McCloughan for 2 years bc he was either letting an older coach - Marty, Gibbs, Shanahan or Rivera - do what they wanted with player personnel & having final say & the front office hasn't been stacked below the HC in those years. In the years which the HC didn't have final say, Snyder through his team president Vinny or Bruce Allen controlled what we did in FA, the draft and final say on the roster.

If Harris wants to build one of the best teams in the NFL he has to scrap the Snyder model & build one of the best front offices in the NFL with a GM who has final say on the draft, FA and works with the coaches to build the final roster in late August/early September.

On 11/21/2023 at 1:28 AM, Slappy Mc said:

Washington Receives: 2024: Round 1, Pick 9 2024: Round 2, Pick 40
Green Bay Receives: 2024: Round 1, Pick 7 2025: Round 3

#9 Brock Bowers TE | Georgia
#37 Kingsley Suamataia OT | BYU
#39 Barrett Carter LB | Clemson
#40 Kamren Kinchens S | Miami (FL)
#71 Sedrick Van Pran IOL | Georgia
#100 Donovan Jackson IOL | Ohio State
#107 Mar'Keise Irving RB | Oregon
#143 Jordan Travis QB | Florida State
#184 Gabriel Murphy EDGE | UCLA
#226 Ja'Quan Sheppard CB | Maryland

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7h6o13nmfxuyanjgluy

34 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Basically, the sum of this is that ESPN has us taking Joe Alt, LT, Notre Dame & Harris wants the OL rebuilt to be one of the best OLs in the league like the Hogs were. 

Now, every HC/front office person has said this since Norv Turner so, it remains to be seen if it can be done but it seems Harris wants that to be the focus. So, we're probably going LT in R1 & with one of our R2 picks taking a 2nd OT, a C or a G I would guess.

Obviously, I’d be good with us taking Alt to play LT for us. 

I will say, he is not on the same level of guys like Fashanu or Mims (or probably even Fuaga) athletically. He’s much more of a high floor guy than an elite ceiling guy — he’s probably not ever going to be Orlando Pace or Trent Williams, but I really think he’s an excellent bet to be a 10-year NFL starter.

It’ll be interesting to see if they try to go safe early on in the new regime — it would take some serious stones to draft a guy like Mims (with maybe 10 college starts under his belt) as the first selection of your tenure.

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I will say, he is not on the same level of guys like Fashanu or Mims (or probably even Fuaga) athletically. He’s much more of a high floor guy than an elite ceiling guy — he’s probably not ever going to be Orlando Pace or Trent Williams, but I really think he’s an excellent bet to be a 10-year NFL starter.

It’ll be interesting to see if they try to go safe early on in the new regime — it would take some serious stones to draft a guy like Mims (with maybe 10 college starts under his belt) as the first selection of your tenure.

Not being rude here E but wouldn’t it just be more of what we’ve been doing with Rivera if we took Mims in the top 10? 

38 minutes ago, e16bball said:

So you have Mims over Alt & Latham based up upside?

My worry with Mims is his body composition & weight. It's not like he's super sloppy but you'd like to see him lose the baby fat so to say.

He’s very athletic for a guy his size (6’7, 340) but I'd like to see him drop down to 330 or 325 while tightening up that body fat and be in better shape.

Right now everyone has him as the 4th OT behind Fashanu, Alt & Latham but I could see him rising if gets in better shape, has a good combine, pro day and personal workouts in February and March.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Not being rude here E but wouldn’t it just be more of what we’ve been doing with Rivera if we took Mims in the top 10? 

I’d say that's fair. Rivera reached by a half a round on Jamin & a half around on Forbes and by most scouts rankings 5 to 10 spots on Dotson as well as reaching a round on Mathis & Quan Martin.

I think @e16bball is banking on Mims rising with a great combine, pro day and personal workouts. 

It’s possible he does but it's not something to count on. I mean he could pull a Trent and just blow it out of the water at the combine and if he does at 6’7, 340 pounds, he'll rise up the boards but we can't be for sure about that.

Edited by turtle28

39 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So you have Mims over Alt & Latham based up upside?

My worry with Mims is his body composition & weight. It's not like he's super sloppy but you'd like to see him lose the baby fat so to say.

He’s very athletic for a guy his size (6’7, 340) but I'd like to see him drop down to 330 or 325 while tightening up that body fat and be in better shape.

Right now everyone has him as the 4th OT behind Fashanu, Alt & Latham but I could see him rising if gets in better shape, has a good combine, pro day and personal workouts in February and March.

I’m not saying I have Mims over Alt at this point. I think it’s plausible that I could get there based on his play through the rest of the season, maybe his showings in postseason pre-draft showcases, definitely the combine. 

But right now I have Alt ahead of Mims still. I think there’s something to be said about security and a high floor, especially for a franchise in transition. I think I’ve said before, the primary comp that keeps coming to me for Alt is Taylor Decker — who isn’t a superstar by any means, but he was a LT starter from Day 1 and has pretty consistently played at a fringy Pro Bowl level ever since. 

Can’t lie though, on some level, I am going to be thinking all draft season about rolling the dice on higher upside.

• Like 1

7: R1 P7 OT Olumuyiwa Fashanu - Penn State
36: R2 P4 OT Taliese Fuaga - Oregon State
39: R2 P7 G Zak Zinter - Michigan
71: R3 P7 LB Junior Colson - Michigan
99: R3 P35 LB Smael Mondon - Georgia
107: R4 P7 G Donovan Jackson - Ohio State
143: R5 P7 WR Jermaine Burton - Alabama
182: R6 P7 TE Gavin Bartholomew - Pittsburgh
226: R7 P7 WR Dominic Lovett - Georgia

Did this simulated draft just now. For me this would be a dream draft.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Out of kindness, I would ask no one to wake me up if I was able to dream those first 3 picks…it would just be cruel to snap me back to reality 😂

• Like 4

14 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

The top 4 picks are starters day 1 I think. At least 3 the 4, Fashanu, Zinter & Colson depending on who we sign at MLB in FA.

Edited by turtle28

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

Out of kindness, I would ask no one to wake me up if I was able to dream those first 3 picks…it would just be cruel to snap me back to reality 😂

Yeah id cry tears of real joy. That said i think we spend some in FA onnthe OL to not have to focus souly on OL this heavily. That said those are some great picks. Id love to find a trotter JR with that Chicago pick but id be complwtely okay having real OT depth thats young and athletic

• Like 2

It looks like the class is loaded with top talent at OT and QB. That would be my preference with our first 2 picks. There's a ton of QBs at the end of the first and one of them will probably drop to our Chicago Bears' pick. The third pick is where we could get a little creative, but we should just draft another O-lineman to play IOL. 

I'd probably hold off on drafting an EDGE player until our natural third rounder. I'm noticing a trend where EDGE players can really emerge in that 3rd-4th draft range. I'm excited about KJ Henry

7. LT Joe Alt - Notre Dame

36. QB Jayden Daniels - LSU

39. LG Jordan Morgan - Arizona

71. EDGE Zion Tupuola-Fetui - Washington

I haven't watched an OUNCE of tape and am just using rankings to see who most likely would be there. 

56 minutes ago, taylor made said:

It looks like the class is loaded with top talent at OT and QB. That would be my preference with our first 2 picks. There's a ton of QBs at the end of the first and one of them will probably drop to our Chicago Bears' pick. The third pick is where we could get a little creative, but we should just draft another O-lineman to play IOL. 

I'd probably hold off on drafting an EDGE player until our natural third rounder. I'm noticing a trend where EDGE players can really emerge in that 3rd-4th draft range. I'm excited about KJ Henry

7. LT Joe Alt - Notre Dame

36. QB Jayden Daniels - LSU

39. LG Jordan Morgan - Arizona

71. EDGE Zion Tupuola-Fetui - Washington

I haven't watched an OUNCE of tape and am just using rankings to see who most likely would be there. 

I'd be good with that. I still think Howell is better but I’d have no problem with taking a QB to compete with him in R2 or 3.

• Like 1