The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

4 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

That’s all you heard about ‘analytics’ when JH bought the team. Eugene Chen is under that moniker but when they hired AP, that’s not a big part of his MO. There were other GM candidates that follow analytics much more, not really sure how much of that mindset will affect player evaluations. 
It will be interesting on how this draft will set the precedent of future drafts. 

I think the Peters hire was to pair with Chen to give the two sides a balance. Old school and new school. It’s just another discussion and view and as much as I’m a old school scout the truth is I’ve always used tallies during breakdowns to list bad throws pressure to sack to bad decision from pressure so truth is it’s just something to help tally things you see and really keep track of if it’s really a concern or just moments. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Chris Simms has DM ranked 6th. 

I actually don’t think it’s crazy because Penix is that dude!!! If there weren’t injury he’d be my one. Sadly he won’t be there round 3 because I’d take 2 QB’s if he was

I so hope we trade down.

There's some really good talent, that will be available on day 2.

Personally, I'm not married to the idea of taking a QB at #2. (Although we probably will)

I would be ecstatic, if we traded down & took our QB in the late 1st or 2nd rd.

Why do I say this?

Cause we almost never draft the right one.

I hope this year is different.

Saw that we’re having a top 30 with Roger Rosengarten as well.

Combining this with using one of those meetings on Caedan Wallace, it seems they’re either interested in day 2/3 RT prospects — or they’re digging hard into Fashanu and Fautanu.

I don’t know why I feel this is particularly compelling evidence, but I’m going to go out on a limb and say they’re going to trade up into the mid-teens for a LT.

It would cost them both 2nds, but they still have the three 3rds to take some stabs in the middle of the draft. I do respect the concept — although I traditionally think it’s better not to trade up — because the goal would be to get high-end talent in the sort of premium tentpole positions. Grab a QB and a long-term OT this year, then come back and look for a pass-rusher and/or an elite WR next year.

32 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Does anyone have a compiled list of our top 30 visits? I'm pretty sure I've seen more than 10, but I'm curious how many more we still need to schedule? 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2024-nfl-draft-top-30-visits-tracker-full-list-of-every-prospect-all-32-teams-have-brought-in-for-meetings/ 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Does anyone have a compiled list of our top 30 visits? I'm pretty sure I've seen more than 10, but I'm curious how many more we still need to schedule? 

This site purports to have them all compiled. I’m not seeing any that stand out off the top of my head that aren’t on there. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2024-nfl-draft-top-30-visits-tracker-full-list-of-every-prospect-all-32-teams-have-brought-in-for-meetings/amp/

I still find it extremely interesting that there isn’t a single top 8 OL on that list — but two of the three OL we did meet with happen to be the bookend partners of two of the top 5 OTs.

• Like 1

Here’s something I just learned…and find wild.

Since becoming a DC in 2013 — the first time he reasonably could have had any input at all on team personnel type decisions — Dan Quinn’s teams have never selected a QB in the draft.

Not one. Not in any round. 11 drafts, 86 selections…zero QBs.

*Trigger Warning* More draft trade talk

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2024/4/11/24127421/kyler-murray-commanders-trade-nfl-draft-cardinals

Saw this article while scrolling and I gotta say, the proposed trade as-is I hate. (Kyler and #27 for #2. Values Kyler at a top 5 pick... eww) However, it got me thinking. What kind of deal would I be okay with in a scenario like this. 

So here is what I put together, and I know it will get me crucified here, but oh well: 

Washington gets: Kyler Murray (his highest contract value is this year) and #4 overall

Arizona gets: #2 overall, #40 overall

This would value Kyler in the early teens range of the first round and it would keep Washington in range for MHJr, Joe Alt, or even a trade down for a bounty. That also would give Arizona (and Gannon) the ability to choose a QB they want and move on from a expensive contract. They also gain an early 2nd in a heavy top 50 draft class. 

Now, I don't expect Kyler to be traded, but this would be a much more acceptable outcome for me in the world of random thoughts that won't happen land.