The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

Here’s the biggest concern I have. I like Harris as the new owner, I like Peters as the new GM, I’ve even warmed up to Quinn as the new HC. 

But even as I say I like the people in place, I have pretty significant concerns about the specific art of finding QBs. Here’s the collective draft history of the folks who will likely be involved in the decision. This includes all the drafts where I deemed them “part of the draft room” — specifically, it includes any year where Quinn was DC or HC and it excludes Hurney’s time in San Diego when he was head of football administration or something like that. It doesn’t sound like that was a personnel role.

First rounders have two asterisks. Day 2 picks have one asterisk.

Adam Peters

Kliff Kingsbury

Matt Cassel

Kevin O’Connell*

Tom Brandstater

Tim Tebow**

Brock Osweiler*

Zac Dysert

Trevor Siemian

Paxton Lynch**

CJ Beathard*

Trey Lance**

Brock Purdy

Dan Quinn

Zero QBs ever selected

Martin Mayhew

Mike McMahon

Joey Harrington**

Dan Orlovsky

Drew Stanton*

Matthew Stafford**

CJ Beathard*

Sam Howell

Marty Hurney

Chris Weinke

Randy Fasani

Stefan Lefors

Jimmy Clausen*

Tony Pike

Cam Newton**

Will Grier*

Sam Howell

Kliff Kingsbury

Kyler Murray**

The problem is that outside of consensus 1:1 picks (Stafford, Newton, Murray), their teams have landed exactly 1 starting-caliber QB between them (Purdy). We’re talking about approximately 70 drafts.

Obviously, the hope is that the prospects we’re choosing from at 1:2 are comparable to those 1:1 successes. But damn…it doesn’t provide a ton of hope that, aside from picking the guy everyone agrees is the blue-chipper, these gentlemen are bringing to the table any real idea of what they’re looking for when drafting a QB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Here’s something I just learned…and find wild.

Since becoming a DC in 2013 — the first time he reasonably could have had any input at all on team personnel type decisions — Dan Quinn’s teams have never selected a QB in the draft.

Not one. Not in any round. 11 drafts, 86 selections…zero QBs.

While it's still weird... having Russell, Matt Ryan, and Dak certainly helps :) 

23 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Here’s the biggest concern I have. I like Harris as the new owner, I like Peters as the new GM, I’ve even warmed up to Quinn as the new HC. 

But even as I say I like the people in place, I have pretty significant concerns about the specific art of finding QBs. Here’s the collective draft history of the folks who will likely be involved in the decision. This includes all the drafts where I deemed them “part of the draft room” — specifically, it includes any year where Quinn was DC or HC and it excludes Hurney’s time in San Diego when he was head of football administration or something like that. It doesn’t sound like that was a personnel role.

Adam Peters

Kliff Kingsbury

Matt Cassel

Kevin O’Connell*

Tom Brandstater

Tim Tebow**

Brock Osweiler*

Zac Dysert

Trevor Siemian

Paxton Lynch**

CJ Beathard*

Trey Lance**

Brock Purdy

Dan Quinn

Zero QBs ever selected

Martin Mayhew

Mike McMahon

Joey Harrington**

Dan Orlovsky

Drew Stanton*

Matthew Stafford**

CJ Beathard*

Sam Howell

Marty Hurney

Chris Weinke

Randy Fasani

Stefan Lefors

Jimmy Clausen*

Tony Pike

Cam Newton**

Will Grier*

Sam Howell

Kliff Kingsbury

Kyler Murray**

The problem is that outside of consensus 1:1 picks (Stafford, Newton, Murray), their teams have landed exactly 1 starting-caliber QB between them (Purdy). We’re talking about approximately 70 drafts.

Obviously, the hope is that the prospects we’re choosing from at 1:2 are comparable to those 1:1 successes. But damn…it doesn’t provide a ton of hope that, aside from picking the guy everyone agrees is the blue-chipper, these gentlemen are bringing to the table any real idea of what they’re looking for when drafting a QB.

Good post. If you whittle down to 1st rounders and then even further to Top 3, it's a little bit less of a horrible, no good, very bad thing, but yes, always a concern. Still, this should not stop them or us from rooting them on, to shoot their shot at the most important position. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Adam Peters

Kliff Kingsbury

Matt Cassel

Kevin O’Connell*

Tom Brandstater

Tim Tebow**

Brock Osweiler*

Zac Dysert

Trevor Siemian

Paxton Lynch**

CJ Beathard*

Trey Lance**

Brock Purdy

Dan Quinn

Zero QBs ever selected

Martin Mayhew

Mike McMahon

Joey Harrington**

Dan Orlovsky

Drew Stanton*

Matthew Stafford**

CJ Beathard*

Sam Howell

Marty Hurney

Chris Weinke

Randy Fasani

Stefan Lefors

Jimmy Clausen*

Tony Pike

Cam Newton**

Will Grier*

Sam Howell

Kliff Kingsbury

Kyler Murray**

Too be fair though outside of a Baltimore and Green Bay FO exec who can you really look at and say has had success in the last 20 years with more then on QB they have selected on a fair scale? Because Baltimore is say has done well with Flacco and Jackson. GB with Rodgers and Love. But outside of them who can we say has had multiple hits at the position? Def not the Patriots or chiefs or Bills. Seahawks struck gold but have missed a bunch. And the teams I’m naming have had sustained success as well for naming them. You could say the Colts with Manning, Luck and It seems Richardson if healthy has a shot because his HC is a QB whisperer. But I think even for all those hits the only consistent theme is they take them throughout. Philly has hit and maybe not sustained success with any one but all have had a moment. 

26 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Good post. If you whittle down to 1st rounders and then even further to Top 3, it's a little bit less of a horrible, no good, very bad thing, but yes, always a concern. Still, this should not stop them or us from rooting them on, to shoot their shot at the most important position. 

I’m basically with this. One every class is different and situations matter along with what’s avalible and the state of your franchise. While I’m always a trade down and stockpile guy I see the value of this class to the level saying you know what throw the damn dart. Hit or not it’s the actual right decision because I do believe 5 guys have real franchise level ability and 6 if you put Nix on 2 rosters in the league. So really all that really matters is they have been quiet and diligent. They have def done the work and I have a feeling next week they will be able to put their guy in pen. Biggest thing is F us fans. Stay true to their vision. Idc about highlights or flash come that Thursday. Pick the guy you believe your putting in the best spot who gives you the things you value not just on but off the field as well to nurture a real change

2	1	Commanders	Drake Maye	QB	North Carolina	
21	1	Commanders	Amarius Mims	OT	Georgia	Traded 36 and 67 for 21
40	2	Commanders	Xavier Legette	WR	South Carolina	
78	3	Commanders	Adisa Isaac	EDGE	Penn State	
100	3	Commanders	Renardo Green	CB	Florida State	
139	5	Commanders	Marshawn Lloyd	RB	USC	
152	5	Commanders	Dallin Holker	TE 	Colorado State	
222	7	Commanders	Tyrice Knight	LB	UTEP	

Like @MKnight82, I was also able to participate in a FF Mock Draft. I just wrapped up Washington. 

Maye is still my pick for #2. No brainer there. I offered Miami pick #36 and #67 to move up to 21 and selected Amarius Mims. This is a high risk, high reward pick. If he stays healthy... this guy could be a top tackle in the league. I don't like my pick at 40, but WRs were flying off the board and I wanted to get a guy to contribute Day 1. The rest speaks for itself as depth and develop guys. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Like @MKnight82, I was also able to participate in a FF Mock Draft. I just wrapped up Washington. 

Maye is still my pick for #2. No brainer there. I offered Miami pick #36 and #67 to move up to 21 and selected Amarius Mims. This is a high risk, high reward pick. If he stays healthy... this guy could be a top tackle in the league. I don't like my pick at 40, but WRs were flying off the board and I wanted to get a guy to contribute Day 1. The rest speaks for itself as depth and develop guys. 

I love leggette and this draft!

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

That would be a great outcome!

Big bet on Mims, but we’re very early in the recalibration process. He has the potential to be the best OL in this draft, hands down. I think it’s a very defensible move to swing for high upside in this one. 

I think similarly about Legette. He’s very tight and his route running is pretty rudimentary — but he is a hell of a size/speed combo and he has ball skills in tight quarters. It’s not impossible to envision him falling somewhere on the spectrum between Deebo and DK.

Well, I did 1 mock draft. Lol

Here you go!

• Trade Recap

• commanders.svg
    Washington Receives:
    • 2024: Round 3, Pick 72
    • 2024: Round 4, Pick 111
    • 2024: Round 4, Pick 134
    • 2024: Round 7, Pick 256
    • 2025: Round 6
    jets.svg
    New York Receives:
    • 2024: Round 3, Pick 67
  • commanders.svg
    Washington Receives:
    • 2024: Round 4, Pick 132
    • 2024: Round 6, Pick 176
    • 2024: Round 7, Pick 251
    • 2025: Round 2
    • 2025: Round 3
    • 2025: Round 4
    niners.svg
    San Francisco Receives:
    • 2024: Round 3, Pick 72
  • commanders.svg
    Washington Receives:
    • 2024: Round 4, Pick 133
    • 2024: Round 5, Pick 160
    • 2025: Round 3
    bills.svg
    Buffalo Receives:
    • 2024: Round 4, Pick 100

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Adam Schefter said it’s safe for Washington fans to order their Jayden Daniels jerseys. Sigh. It’s happening. 

Well let’s just hope he stays healthy and becomes special if that’s the case. Personally I don’t think they are meeting all 3 next week because it’s decided

Like honestly I think I get to this point around this time of year every year but knowing we’re going QB1 this is where I’m at. Come in work hard and get Terry to All pro and get Jahan to Pro bowl level. I’m not saying year one I’m saying going forward get the weapons to click. These guys can play and just get them the ball and hopefully this staff enforces the run game and deploys Eckler as a weapon. I’m okay with Jayden running. What I’m not okay with is them just running the crap out of him. Like he has guys outside use them and work your tails off to get in sync with them. Idc about win total I care about development and getting the most out of this roster moving forward and growing together

Edited by ripsean21

9 hours ago, e16bball said:

Adam Peters

Kliff Kingsbury

Matt Cassel

Kevin O’Connell*

Tom Brandstater

Tim Tebow**

Brock Osweiler*

Zac Dysert

Trevor Siemian

Paxton Lynch**

CJ Beathard*

Trey Lance**

Brock Purdy

Dan Quinn

Zero QBs ever selected

Martin Mayhew

Mike McMahon

Joey Harrington**

Dan Orlovsky

Drew Stanton*

Matthew Stafford**

CJ Beathard*

Sam Howell

Marty Hurney

Chris Weinke

Randy Fasani

Stefan Lefors

Jimmy Clausen*

Tony Pike

Cam Newton**

Will Grier*

Sam Howell

Kliff Kingsbury

Kyler Murray**

I don’t think this is fair to any of those guys for selections frankly. Look, hitting a home run on a QB is probably the hardest thing to do in sports in this realm.

7 minutes ago, TOUCAN said:

I don’t think this is fair to any of those guys for selections frankly. Look, hitting a home run on a QB is probably the hardest thing to do in sports in this realm.

It is but there are historical indicators that are often overlooked when a lot of these players were picked. Its getting ready to happen with Daniels and his P2S. I mean, we have all of the local media excusing it as though his situation is some outlier even though it has almost 100% of the time accurately indicated failure at the next level. Teams excuse red flags chasing unicorns all the time. Even we do it as fans. I loved Trey Lance even though the alarms were going off like crazy. 

55 minutes ago, TOUCAN said:

I mean, it’s kind of unfair for Peters because he’s never actually been in charge until now — so for all we know, he may have been totally against the Pats taking late-round scrubs and the Broncos blowing three valuable picks on absolute bums and the Niners trading a huge ransom for a total bust. But he’s also getting credit for the one good find (Purdy), which also wasn’t “his” pick.

Otherwise, it’s literally just listing out the QBs their teams have chosen, so I don’t think there’s anything really “unfair” about it. It’s just raw data.

And the raw data says that outside of consensus 1:1 picks (because we’re not getting that guy in this draft), their teams are collectively 1 for 25 in finding even solid starting QBs. That’s a pretty low success rate, even for a task that I agree is extremely difficult.

What I’m getting at, mostly, is that I would really like to be able to just let go and trust Peters and this group to make the right choice. But…I would have loved to have seen a little more positive track record from the braintrust.