The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

The conversation of "the art of finding QBs" is an impractical one to me. I firmly believe that circumstance has just as much, if not more, to do with a QB being successful as the potential/abilities of the QB. So much goes into a QB being successful or even getting a chance at being successful. To generate a list of who drafted what QBs is unfair to the process in its entirety, IMO. 

For example, if Drew Bledsoe doesn't get injured in the 2nd game of the 2001 season, Tom Brady is likely never the G.O.A.T. Drew Bledsoe signed a 10 year contract extension during the offseason. Tom Brady was already one year into his 3-year rookie contract. Drew Bledsoe was a 3x Pro Bowl QB and firmly entrenched as the starter. If Drew Bledsoe doesn't get hurt and Tom Brady gets no PT, what happens when his contract runs out? How many sixth round QBs with no PT get signed to new teams? In reality, Tom got a chance that he wouldn't naturally have gotten and he never looked back. 

Just my opinion. 

Edited by Slappy Mc

9 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

The conversation of "the art of finding QBs" is an impractical one to me. I firmly believe that circumstance has just as much, if not more, to do with a QB being successful as the potential/abilities of the QB. So much goes into a QB being successful or even getting a chance at being successful. To generate a list of who drafted what QBs is unfair to the process in its entirety, IMO. 

For example, if Drew Bledsoe doesn't get injured in the 2nd game of the 2001 season, Tom Brady is likely never the G.O.A.T. Drew Bledsoe signed a 10 year contract extension during the offseason. Tom Brady was already one year into his 3-year rookie contract. Drew Bledsoe was a 3x Pro Bowl QB and firmly entrenched as the starter. If Drew Bledsoe doesn't get hurt and Tom Brady gets no PT, what happens when his contract runs out? How many sixth round QBs with no PT get signed to new teams? In reality, Tom got a chance that he wouldn't naturally have gotten and he never looked back. 

Just my opinion. 

I mean, the entire league is this way unless you’re a super high pick. It always comes down to opportunity. Purdy is the same case. I mean, I always wonder how Howell would’ve faired had we not put him in an awful situation but here we are? Let’s just do our best not to ruin Jayden Daniels I guess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, the entire league is this way unless you’re a super high pick. It always comes down to opportunity. Purdy is the same case. I mean, I always wonder how Howell would’ve faired had we not put him in an awful situation but here we are? Let’s just do our best not to ruin Jayden Daniels I guess. 

This is where I’m at idc who their all great in their own way just get it out of them and don’t ruin them

Chris Simms, not the NY Jints QB but his son nice YouTube on QB. Loves Bo- aka a modern day Joe Montana or Drew Brees or more appropriately a modern day Chris Sims Sr- that guy killed us

Crazy idea- why not trade down, get some picks like another first next year and  look at Bo or Penix, or Maye, even JJ. Trade back then trade back up. Bo Montana vs Michael Farve, JJ Brady, or Draken Elway?

please don’t draft Jayden- won’t last-  like a great Chinese meal. taste great but hungry again in an hour

this class potential to be better than Big Ben, Eli, Rivers Schaub in 2004- but don’t try to oversell it Doc about the best of all time 1983 when most of you guys weren’t even wet dreams in your daddy’s mind- when we saw Elway, Marino, Jimbo Kelly, and Kenny O’Brien. :)

Doc out!! 
Edited by Doc Draper
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Chris Simms, not the NY Jints QB but his son nice YouTube on QB. Loves Bo- aka a modern day Joe Montana or Drew Brees or more appropriately a modern day Chris Sims Sr- that guy killed us

Crazy idea- why not trade down, get some picks like another first next year and  look at Bo or Penix, or Maye, even JJ. Trade back then trade back up. Bo Montana vs Michael Farve, JJ Brady, or Draken Elway?

please don’t draft Jayden- won’t last-  like a great Chinese meal. taste great but hungry again in an hour

this class potential to be better than Big Ben, Eli, Rivers Schaub in 2004- but don’t try to oversell it Doc about the best of all time 1983 when most of you guys weren’t even wet dreams in your daddy’s mind- when we saw Elway, Marino, Jimbo Kelly, and Kenny O’Brien. :)

Doc out!! 

They aren’t trading down. They are picking Jayden. I’ve already moved onto what I want to happen with our next two picks. The Daniels pick is inevitable. 

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

They aren’t trading down. They are picking Jayden. I’ve already moved onto what I want to happen with our next two picks. The Daniels pick is inevitable. 

Probably right but wouldn’t it be exciting? 
200w.gif?cid=6c09b952wxv3v6gu550aynliybp

Man, I really just have no idea what we're gonna do in this draft. I know QB is at 2, but I don't know which one. We could trade up for a tackle. We could sit tight and take two defenders at 36 and 40. We need talented depth. This is wide open. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Man, I really just have no idea what we're gonna do in this draft. I know QB is at 2, but I don't know which one. We could trade up for a tackle. We could sit tight and take two defenders at 36 and 40. We need talented depth. This is wide open. 

I still think anything ( including a trade down ) is possible . I think we'll get some blow your mind offers . Doc mention trade down then back up .. Maybe still net a second rd pick AND get a Q B.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I still think anything ( including a trade down ) is possible . I think we'll get some blow your mind offers . Doc mention trade down then back up .. Maybe still net a second rd pick AND get a Q B.

I don't believe in the QBs of this draft. This is an ideal trade down for a bounty unseen in history.

It's possible they are weighing pros/cons of each player at every pick in the draft. A trade down and then back up could be in play. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

If they trade down off of 2 after trading Howell to draft an older prospect like Nix or Penix I will be so incredibly bummed. Especially after hiring Dan Quinn. It would be like the most "meh" off-season ever. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If they trade down off of 2 after trading Howell to draft an older prospect like Nix or Penix I will be so incredibly bummed. Especially after hiring Dan Quinn. It would be like the most "meh" off-season ever. 

In the proposed scenario, I believe we had traded down from 2 to 11 (gaining 23 and 2025 1st and 2nd and losing 2024 4th) then trading back up with 11 and 2025 1st from trade to 4, ending up with us drafting Jayden Daniels. Net gain/loss = Jayden Daniels, 23 and 2025 2nd for #2 and 2024 4th. 

I guess Field Yates is taking McShay’s place in draft coverage on ESPN now — he and Kiper did the dueling mock this year. Three rounds, and they had us taking the following players:

1 (2). QB Jayden Daniels, LSU

2 (36). CB Ennis Rakestraw, Missouri

2 (40). OT Kingsley Suamataia, BYU

3 (67). WR Roman Wilson, Michigan

3 (78). DE Jonah Elliss, Utah

3 (100). TE Ja’Tavion Sanders, Texas

Not going to bother talking about the first pick, as that one is pretty much set in stone at this point.

I don’t hate this outcome, although the only player I actually like is Roman Wilson, and I’d also have to agree that Sanders would be great value at 100. That’s one of the benefits of having so many quality picks, I guess — the “haul” feels kind of impressive even when you don’t particularly like any of the players individually. 

51 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

In the proposed scenario, I believe we had traded down from 2 to 11 (gaining 23 and 2025 1st and 2nd and losing 2024 4th) then trading back up with 11 and 2025 1st from trade to 4, ending up with us drafting Jayden Daniels. Net gain/loss = Jayden Daniels, 23 and 2025 2nd for #2 and 2024 4th. 

wow, O K , I didn't dissect it that much ! but I do like it !!

9 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Not going to bother talking about the first pick, as that one is pretty much set in stone at this point.

Comments like this really baffle me. You guys just believing the media hype? What makes you guys so sure that it's Daniels? Betting odds? 

That's all nonsense. None of these QBs past Caleb Williams are shoe-ins. No clue why anyone would be sure enough to think it's "set in stone" or declare "their picking Jaylen." I'm not even sure we make a selection at #2 overall... 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

wow, O K , I didn't dissect it that much ! but I do like it !!

My apologies, I got my wires crossed and saw this mock, thought that was what you were referring to.