The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

The only way we get the 3rd pick, we need the Pats to win one of their 2 remaining games. 
Pats opponents Buffalo 9-6 and Jets 6-10 

WC opponents  SF 11-4 Dallas 11-5

Our opponents will only heighten our SOS

The good news, such as it is, is that it looks like the number Tankathon is using already factors in all 17 opponents — so I think the records of our upcoming opponents is already included in the .519 SOS they’re showing for both teams?

I do agree our best chance is if they beat the Jets, though. That seems like a toss-up game, and it would solve everything pretty neatly for us.

Edited by e16bball

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

The good news, such as it is, is that it looks like the number Tankathon is using already factors in all 17 opponents — so I think the records of our upcoming opponents is already included in the .519 SOS they’re showing for both teams?

I do think our best chance is if they beat the Jets, though. That seems like a toss-up game, and it would solve everything pretty neatly for us.

OK. That was question a little while back, how SOS was calculated prior or a running tabulation. 

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I do agree our best chance is if they beat the Jets, though. That seems like a toss-up game, and it would solve everything pretty neatly for us.

So what now if we end up tied in SoS. It's a coinflip, right?

We now own the #2 pick. And that means 1) taking a QB; 2) trading back and netting a second first round pick in 2025. 

I know what I would do. 

Relevant article - https://lionswire.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-draft-history-trades-no-2-overall-pick-detroit-lions-trubisky-ricky-williams-rgiii/

The Wentz Trade - Browns send the #2 to the Eagles. The Eagles dealt the No. 8 pick, their third-round pick (No. 77) and a fourth-round pick (No. 100) in 2016, plus their 2017 first-rounder (No. 12) and a 2018 second-round pick (No. 64) to move up and select Wentz.

BTW... reading that article, you'll read soooo many QB first-round busts. 

Edited by Skinsin2013

1 hour ago, Skinsin2013 said:

We now own the #2 pick. And that means 1) taking a QB; 2) trading back and netting a second first round pick in 2025. 

I know what I would do. 

Relevant article - https://lionswire.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-draft-history-trades-no-2-overall-pick-detroit-lions-trubisky-ricky-williams-rgiii/

The Wentz Trade - Browns send the #2 to the Eagles. The Eagles dealt the No. 8 pick, their third-round pick (No. 77) and a fourth-round pick (No. 100) in 2016, plus their 2017 first-rounder (No. 12) and a 2018 second-round pick (No. 64) to move up and select Wentz.

BTW... reading that article, you'll read soooo many QB first-round busts. 

I just don’t see how you pass on Williams or Maye? You can’t have a top 2 pick again and not take a QB. This is so rare. You have to take the chance. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I just don’t see how you pass on Williams or Maye? You can’t have a top 2 pick again and not take a QB. This is so rare. You have to take the chance. 

Ya with us not having to trade up now I would just go ahead and take the QB.

25 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I'm just a believer that QBs can be found anywhere in the draft. I won't go through all the names... you know them. And the Commanders need the extra ammo. They've depleted their young core players the past few years because Ron had no idea what he was doing. Plus top three QBs bust. Again, you know the names.

I do believe they'll take a QB. It's just not what I would do. 

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I can’t believe how lucky we are . We have an opportunity with two qbs who can be franchise guys . I agree , whatever we do please go QB at#2. 

1 hour ago, Skinsin2013 said:

I'm just a believer that QBs can be found anywhere in the draft. I won't go through all the names... you know them. And the Commanders need the extra ammo. They've depleted their young core players the past few years because Ron had no idea what he was doing. Plus top three QBs bust. Again, you know the names.

That might be true

but a lot of starting qbs especially elite ones are first round guy . Burrow / Jackson/ Allen/maholmes / Tua/ etc 

4 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

I’ll take the active QBs taken in the top 10 picks, and you take the ones who were chosen in the whole rest of the draft. That gives you roughly 95% of the picks.

I know which group of QBs I think is better.

It’s possible to find a special QB later in the draft. But it’s much more likely to do so with the most coveted picks.

Edited by e16bball

It's pretty remarkable that a loss to Dallas who has everything to play for next weekend could potentially alter the future of this franchise in such a strong way. Caleb Williams could be playing QB for this team next year. That was almost unfathomable at the start of the season. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It's pretty remarkable that a loss to Dallas who has everything to play for next weekend could potentially alter the future of this franchise in such a strong way. Caleb Williams could be playing QB for this team next year. That was almost unfathomable at the start of the season. 

While I'm not sold on the QB, we need to hit a home run with our early 1st round pick. It is both a tremendous blessing and burden. We have not had a good run with the #2 overall pick.

For me I hope it's a bookend tackle for the next 10+ years.