The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Just to change the discussion a little. 
Would you guys trade a 2nd or a 3rd for Justin Fields? And then possibly draft MH, would that be something you could get behind?

A 3rd would be hard to pass IMO (even though I'm not a fan of his) I would still draft O-Line before MHJr. I also am still not sold on the QBs this year, so I would leverage the pick for a massive haul over taking a QB as well. We have to understand we are going to suck again next year as this roster is purged. Might as well not ruin another young QB, we can keep ruining Sam. 

Edited by Slappy Mc
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 8:27 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

I’m out if the Bears want a ransom to move 1 or 2 spots. I guess I can’t blame them but that doesn’t mean we have to be part of . 
Go back to the original plan stay put or trade down a little and acquire picks. 

I’d just stay put and take Drake Maye or if the next GM thinks MHJ is too good to pass up or Fashanu, take them. I’d really like to get a top 5 prospect

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 4:34 PM, 4209 said:

I have given  the numbers to support my claim. As I said earlier when making a decision you have to look at the numbers and the number shows a big difference. "He's a one yr wonder" LOL Okay I will leave it be.

With Drake Maye you have a QB who is athletic but plays more from the pocket than Caleb & Jayden did in college. Maye has untapped potential as a pocket passer too, ala Josh Allen 6 years ago. 

It all depends what you’re looking for as I think E said. Drake Maye is a more polished in the pocket passer who does make some off schedule plays where as almost all of the plays Caleb & Jayden make are off schedule, but can they be more consistent in the pocket than they currently are?

I think Caleb & Jayden can improve in making on time consistent plays from in the pocket but it’s not going to happen overnight.

The biggest upside QB is Caleb IMO which is why most people think he will go first.

Jayden is 3rd IMO bc of his age, he’s 23 & he did only really have one great year. He’s also skinny compared to the other two. I also think out of the 3 he’s least consistent out of the pocket.

Penix is the most consistent of the 4 in the pocket but, he’ll be 24 next year and he tore his ACL twice and had a major shoulder injury while at Indiana. So, his age & injury history make him more of a risk.

Edited by turtle28

9 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Just to change the discussion a little. 
Would you guys trade a 2nd or a 3rd for Justin Fields? And then possibly draft MH, would that be something you could get behind?

To me the concern isn't the cost to get him, it is that we will then burn a season investing into more mediocracy at qb and have to start all again.  What if we pick Marvin Harrison Jr. and have no legit qb to throw him the ball? 

19 hours ago, offbyone said:

To me the concern isn't the cost to get him, it is that we will then burn a season investing into more mediocracy at qb and have to start all again.  What if we pick Marvin Harrison Jr. and have no legit qb to throw him the ball? 

Fields is starting to develop into a better passer and better than just a mediocre QB. I think he’s ready to take jump in his consistency as a passer.

I’m not saying I definitely want to pass on a QB, I want to draft a QB but if we took Harrison, I’d feel comfortable with Fields developing into a better QB in his 4th year starting.

Edited by turtle28

22 hours ago, turtle28 said:

With Drake Maye you have a QB who is athletic but plays more from the pocket than Caleb & Jayden did in college. Maye has untapped potential as a pocket passer too, ala Josh Allen 6 years ago. 

It all depends what you’re looking for as I think E said. Drake Maye is a more polished in the pocket passer who does make some off schedule plays where as almost all of the plays Caleb & Jayden make are off schedule, but can they be more consistent in the pocket than they currently are?

I think Caleb & Jayden can improve in making on time consistent plays from in the pocket but it’s not going to happen overnight.

The biggest upside QB is Caleb IMO which is why most people think he will go first.

Jayden is 3rd IMO bc of his age, he’s 23 & he did only really have one great year. He’s also skinny compared to the other two. I also think out of the 3 he’s least consistent out of the pocket.

Penix is the most consistent of the 4 in the pocket but, he’ll be 24 next year and he tore his ACL twice and had a major shoulder injury while at Indiana. So, his age & injury history make him more of a risk.

"It all depends what you’re looking for"

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everybody has their Guy. I may like a corvette you may like a Porsche. You wlli have certain thing that you like about a car.

Getting past the stats I posted I like Williams? Daniels better. I like the way they play. They have that Fran Tarkenton, Patrick Mahommes especially in Williams. The ability to make a good play out of a bad play. Both are flat out dangerous when they move around in the pocket and outside the pocket. This is what I like now some one else may not. Now Maye has a powerful arm and he has good size but he just don't have the aformention abilities that I like in Williams and Daniels. But like I said in an earlier post I hope we hire the right GM and HC. This is the key. If we do that they will make the right chioce. The new GM and HC klnows what they like in a player.

Besides what if the GM and HC say hey I like SH and lets trade back a little and get one of those top tackles and take Penix in the 2nd which I am ok with that also. Maybe they will trade for Fields. Who nows they may take Maye. Currently there is just to many varibles right.  

43 minutes ago, 4209 said:

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everybody has their Guy. I may like a corvette you may like a Porsche. You wlli have certain thing that you like about a car.

Getting past the stats I posted I like Williams? Daniels better. I like the way they play. They have that Fran Tarkenton, Patrick Mahommes especially in Williams. The ability to make a good play out of a bad play. Both are flat out dangerous when they move around in the pocket and outside the pocket. This is what I like now some one else may not. Now Maye has a powerful arm and he has good size but he just don't have the aformention abilities that I like in Williams and Daniels. But like I said in an earlier post I hope we hire the right GM and HC. This is the key. If we do that they will make the right chioce. The new GM and HC klnows what they like in a player.

Besides what if the GM and HC say hey I like SH and lets trade back a little and get one of those top tackles and take Penix in the 2nd which I am ok with that also. Maybe they will trade for Fields. Who nows they may take Maye. Currently there is just to many varibles right.  

Drake Maye ran for 1200 yards and 16 TD these last two seasons. He's a tremendous athlete and can run. He's probably going to run a 4.5. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Fields is starting to develop into a better passer and better than just a mediocre QB. I think he’s ready to take jump in his consistency as a passer.

I’m not saying I definitely want to pass on a QB, I want to draft a QB but if we took Harrison, I’d feel comfortable with Fields developing into a better QB in his 4th year starting.

A lot of people, heck lots of chicago fans are in your camp on this.  Personally, I am not even close to thinking that.  He had a whopping 2400 yards this season.  He barely breaks a 60% completion rate in his best season.  That is not good.  He just is an average qb at best.  

3 years ago, I would have happily traded for him in the draft, but he has been a disappointment which in some ways is worse than a full on bust.  It is like a relationship you waste years of your life on because it is pretty good, not great.  Waste of time.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 4209 said:

Drake Maye also has that ability, he’s a tremendous athlete. I think you don’t see as many off schedule plays from him because he’s better operating in the pocket than the other two. Maye is more of an on schedule player than the other two.

When I watch Jayden Daniels I just see RG3 2.0, he runs way too much and doesn’t throw from in the pocket enough for me. Caleb scrambles alot but he usually scrambles to buy time to throw downfield.

They're all great prospects, I worry about Jayden Daniels bc he’s so skinny though. I’m afraid there’s no way he’ll make it through a season like Howell did where he started every game while betting beaten to shreds behind a bad OL.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, offbyone said:

A lot of people, heck lots of chicago fans are in your camp on this.  Personally, I am not even close to thinking that.  He had a whopping 2400 yards this season.  He barely breaks a 60% completion rate in his best season.  That is not good.  He just is an average qb at best.  

3 years ago, I would have happily traded for him in the draft, but he has been a disappointment which in some ways is worse than a full on bust.  It is like a relationship you waste years of your life on because it is pretty good, not great.  Waste of time.  

He only played 12 games. He accounted for 3,000 yards & 20 TDs (rushing & receiving combined) in just 12 games.

He sure tore up our defense on Thursday night which showed his potential. 

The real question though is does it make more sense to draft MHJ, Fashanu or Alt to get an elite prospect at another position while only having to give up a 2nd for Fields to compete with Howell for the starting job who both flashed this year as starters?

I’d still draft Drake Maye or Caleb Williams, if somehow we can move up & it’s not for a kings ransom but, I get the argument of getting an elite prospect at WR or LT while also getting a guy who has 3 years starting at QB to complete with the young starter we had this year in Howell for a 2nd round pick.

My guess is they do what most of us want to do and move up to draft Caleb Williams or draft Drake Maye at #2.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

I have a strong feeling that the Bears are not trading the pick and will select C. Williams. 
They still have a top 10 pick and won’t have to pay that 5 year 200m contract to Fields and are able to have CW under the rookie contract. 
Im reading that if he beats the Packers today it will be the reason that they’ll ride with him. To me that sounds kind of dumb to rest the direction of your franchise on 1 game.  
I just think that if we’re going QB that D. Maye or if they like J. Daniels, one of them will be our QB going forward. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I have a strong feeling that the Bears are not trading the pick and will select C. Williams. 
They still have a top 10 pick and won’t have to pay that 5 year 200m contract to Fields and are able to have CW under the rookie contract. 
Im reading that if he beats the Packers today it will be the reason that they’ll ride with him. To me that sounds kind of dumb to rest the direction of your franchise on 1 game.  
I just think that if we’re going QB that D. Maye or if they like J. Daniels, one of them will be our QB going forward. 

Yep I agree as well. 

1. resetting the rookie contract on a QB is huge

2. Caleb Williams is a better QB prospect than Justin Fields. I think that currently Caleb Williams is a better QB than Justin Fields even though Caleb has yet to play and NFL game yet.

I really hope we take Drake Maye over Jayden Daniels, I’m still not sold on Jayden Daniels bc of the way he plays & his size. It’s not a good combination to me and I think Daniels will battle injuries in the NFL as RG3 did & I question if Daniels can ever become a consistent QB from the pocket.

I think Drake Maye has top 5 QB potential with his size, arm strength & athletic ability combination. He also already plays well from the pocket, I think better than even Caleb Williams does from the pocket but, Caleb has more upside.

Edited by turtle28

I think the likelihood of us trading up to #1 increases dramatically if we end up picking at 3 behind the Bears and Pats. That narrative actually makes a lot of sense.

New WAS owner makes big splash and brings in flashy top-rated hometown prospect to create buzz. Pats luck into position to just sit still and add the boring traditional pocket passer. Bears get another trade down and still land the guy that lots of their people want anyway. Arizona again gets stuck at 4 with another OT atop the board.