The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I think the likelihood of us trading up to #1 increases dramatically if we end up picking at 3 behind the Bears and Pats. That narrative actually makes a lot of sense.

New WAS owner makes big splash and brings in flashy top-rated hometown prospect to create buzz. Pats luck into position to just sit still and add the boring traditional pocket passer. Bears get another trade down and still land the guy that lots of their people want anyway. Arizona again gets stuck at 4 with another OT atop the board.

I wonder if Arizona takes an OT at #4 of they end up there. They drafted Paris Johnson last year & still have DJ Humphries.

I would think they take Nabers, Brockers or one of the pass rushers at 4.

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He only played 12 games. He accounted for 3,000 yards & 20 TDs (rushing & receiving combined) in just 12 games.

He sure tore up our defense on Thursday night which showed his potential. 

The real question though is does it make more sense to draft MHJ, Fashanu or Alt to get an elite prospect at another position while only having to give up a 2nd for Fields to compete with Howell for the starting job who both flashed this year as starters?

I’d still draft Drake Maye or Caleb Williams, if somehow we can move up & it’s not for a kings ransom but, I get the argument of getting an elite prospect at WR or LT while also getting a guy who has 3 years starting at QB to complete with the young starter we had this year in Howell for a 2nd round pick.

My guess is they do what most of us want to do and move up to draft Caleb Williams or draft Drake Maye at #2.

I totally get your point.  It is the ultimate question...do we go all in on qb or get the pieces and build around the qb.  I just think that if you want to go the MHJ option and essentially "build around qb option" there are a lot of free agent qbs or even draftable qbs we could get.  Fields is a dead end road to nothing special.  Why trade a second for Fields when we could just keep going with Howell for free?  

Or why not draft MHJ and Penix in the second and a tackle with our other second.  If I am going to get another qb, I want a higher upside option than Fields.   

20 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I totally get your point.  It is the ultimate question...do we go all in on qb or get the pieces and build around the qb.  I just think that if you want to go the MHJ option and essentially "build around qb option" there are a lot of free agent qbs or even draftable qbs we could get.  Fields is a dead end road to nothing special.  Why trade a second for Fields when we could just keep going with Howell for free?  

Or why not draft MHJ and Penix in the second and a tackle with our other second.  If I am going to get another qb, I want a higher upside option than Fields.   

Well Penix might not be there. It’s easy to say we’ll just draft Penix in R2.

I wouldn’t even trade for Fields, I’m just not willing to say he still can’t be a good QB bc he’s shown flashes of growth this year as a passer.

I am definitely in the camp of taking Drake Maye at #2.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I hate that the Giants will end up with

Fashanu, Alt or Nabers. 

I’d be more worried about them taking Rome!!! That dude is insane!!! He should go before nabers

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

First 6 Picks 2, 36, 40, 67, 100, 102

I hate that we're in a 3 way tie record-wise. I wanted the 2nd pick in each round. Was it too much to ask that NE and Arizona win today?

Gonna shock @taylor made here because as much as I'm a "let's get us an OL and develop our young QB (Howell)" I think that when you end up with the 2nd pick, unless you are a team with an already established great QB and just got snakebit (like if your franchise QB is out for the year and your team craps the bed) then you usually don't really have a QB. 

And as much as I like Howell's game and am anticipating what he could develop into, I also know that #2 picks don't come around that often. The last time it did, we had a young QB who had just played his "first" year. We passed on two QBs in favor of a lazy DE who we traded for a 3rd a few years later. 

So I'm of two minds here. 

1) Trade down and pick up more picks and still grab A QB that we like. Use the other picks we have to grab OL, LB, DE, TE, and CB

2) Grab Drake Maye (or Daniels but I'm leaning Maye). 

Right now, I'm leaning to option #2. But if option #1 happens, it had better be for a sweet return (multiple picks and a possible next year's 1st).

Get the QB and hope we can sign good OL/DE/LB in FA and draft some OL studs with our draft capital.

The upside here is if Maye comes in and is great and Howell continues to develop as the backup, we could also trade him away for draft capital later.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

Gonna shock @taylor made here because as much as I'm a "let's get us an OL and develop our young QB (Howell)" I think that when you end up with the 2nd pick, unless you are a team with an already established great QB and just got snakebit (like if your franchise QB is out for the year and your team craps the bed) then you usually don't really have a QB. 

And as much as I like Howell's game and am anticipating what he could develop into, I also know that #2 picks don't come around that often. The last time it did, we had a young QB who had just played his "first" year. We passed on two QBs in favor of a lazy DE who we traded for a 3rd a few years later. 

So I'm of two minds here. 

1) Trade down and pick up more picks and still grab A QB that we like. Use the other picks we have to grab OL, LB, DE, TE, and CB

2) Grab Drake Maye (or Daniels but I'm leaning Maye). 

Right now, I'm leaning to option #2. But if option #1 happens, it had better be for a sweet return (multiple picks and a possible next year's 1st).

Get the QB and hope we can sign good OL/DE/LB in FA and draft some OL studs with our draft capital

If they are going to implement The Process and it involves one year of installing systems and culture and they don’t necessarily care about results, and the new front office and coaching staff is a fan of Howell, I can see them continuing to build the team around QB, and then leveraging assets accordingly the next off-season.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I hate that we're in a 3 way tie record-wise. I wanted the 2nd pick in each round. Was it too much to ask that NE and Arizona win today?

I agree but we did have some nice last minute field goals that got us to 2. So I’m not too mad. 

• Like 1

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

If they are going to implement The Process and it involves one year of installing systems and culture and they don’t necessarily care about results, and the new front office and coaching staff is a fan of Howell, I can see them continuing to build the team around QB, and then leveraging assets accordingly the next off-season.  

Yup. In that scenario, then trading back to pick up more picks and filling out the roster (while maybe picking up some 2025 picks) would be the right call. Harris' teams have been known to trade back in their respective drafts to acquire more picks (and also use those extra picks to trade up at opportune times to grab a player that has dropped that they like).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I agree but we did have some nice last minute field goals that got us to 2. So I’m not too mad. 

Want to know what is killing me? I was a Jake Ferguson TD away from a $10k payout on a 12 leg parlay. And he got SOOOOOOO close on that catch near the goalline.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

Want to know what is killing me? I was a Jake Ferguson TD away from a $10k payout on a 12 leg parlay. And he got SOOOOOOO close on that catch near the goalline.

WOW. That hurts Thai. 

• Like 1

2: R1 P2 QB Drake Maye - North Carolina
34: R2 P2 G Troy Fautanu - Washington
42: R2 P10 C Jackson Powers-Johnson - Oregon
66: R3 P2 RB Blake Corum - Michigan
99: R3 P35 WR Tahj Washington - USC
102: R4 P2 LB Junior Colson - Michigan
138: R5 P2 LB Jaylan Ford - Texas
177: R6 P2 CB M.J. Devonshire - Pittsburgh
221: R7 P2 WR Dominic Lovett - Georgia
  • Like 2