The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If they are going to implement The Process and it involves one year of installing systems and culture and they don’t necessarily care about results, and the new front office and coaching staff is a fan of Howell, I can see them continuing to build the team around QB, and then leveraging assets accordingly the next off-season.  

Well I can tell you now if this regime decides to trade the pick and Drake Maye ends up becoming the next very good young QB this regime is dead before it even gets off the ground. 

• Like 1

Washington's #2 pick is worth 2600 points.

Arizona Cardinals #4 pick is worth 1800 points & their #21 pick is worth 800 points.

Would you guys trade down to #4, if it netted you their other 1st @ 21. 

And let's say the draft went like this....

1)Bears=QB Caleb Williams

2)Arizona (from Wsh)=QB Drake Maye

3)New England=Marvin Harrison Jr.

Who would you take at #4 to start this new regimes first pick?

(If you couldn't trade down & the draft went exactly like this. Even though I personally don't believe  both the Bears & Cards are NOT going QB with their 1st pick- maybe 1 of them will)

Once the GM and coaches are hired the GM should have a knowledge of these QB’s based off the reports from their former teams scouting dept. get with your coaching candidate and figure out if your QB is in this class. If your guy isn’t there then get comfortable with moving back!! Because as good as Harrison is I’d be okay passing and either going OT or Odunzi if we are moving back and collecting more picks

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Arizona Cardinals #4 pick is worth 1800 points & their #21 pick is worth 800 points.

(If you couldn't trade down & the draft went exactly like this. Even though I personally don't believe  both the Bears & Cards are NOT going QB with their 1st pick- maybe 1 of them will)

Kyler Murray is pretty good. I don't see any reason for the Cardinals to do this. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Nope. Take a QB with the 2nd pick. Sign an OT & G in FA. Then, draft a OT, G & probably another C too but after R1 bc we don’t often get a top 2 or 3 pick to take the QB. We need to get the QB.

53 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Kyler Murray is pretty good. I don't see any reason for the Cardinals to do this. 

Yep, great point. The Cards are going to take a WR most likely MHJ to help Murray get back to his top 10 play where he was before the ACL injury and when he was throwing to DeAndre Hopkins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Once the GM and coaches are hired the GM should have a knowledge of these QB’s based off the reports from their former teams scouting dept. get with your coaching candidate and figure out if your QB is in this class. If your guy isn’t there then get comfortable with moving back!! Because as good as Harrison is I’d be okay passing and either going OT or Odunzi if we are moving back and collecting more picks

This team is absent of top end talent. We need to take one of the top prospects of the draft.

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yep, great point. The Cards are going to take a WR most likely MHJ to help Murray get back to his top 10 play where he was before the ACL injury and when he was throwing to DeAndre Hopkins.

Yeah I think so that's why I think if the Bears want MHJ they better just pick him at one or move down with us and the Pats and pick up some third and fourth rounders along the way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

This team is absent of top end talent. We need to take one of the top prospects of the draft.

@turtle I understand everybody's choices at 2. My choice has been made. I try to put my emotion to the side. Not trying be an offense to any one here but when it is all said and done if we hire the right people and let them do what  think is right. Besides they are by far more knowledgeable than anyone here on this site.

Lets have so fun. Now I am just speculating but trying to be realistic here.  Once we hire the new HC we can start getting an idea who we may pick at 2. Now  I can't go through all of them especially the def minded coaches. Lets look at some very obvious ones.  Ben Johnson and Slowih (excuse the spelling not sure). When you look at these two coaches and their current types of QB's we can predict they are not fun of the Daniels and maybe the Williams types. They appear to like the pocket QB types. So we can assume Maye maybe Pheix would fit their bill. We also have been linked to the Ravens. Their OC would like the Daniels an Williams types. Can't say much about the Raven DC mcdaniels? I know there are other canidates but just a process of elimination. 

Edited by 4209

So question just for general curiosity, how many of you would be upset/happy in these scenarios?

Scenario 1: Caleb Williams goes #1. Commanders select: Joe Alt/Olu Fashanu.

Scenario 2: Caleb Williams goes #1. Commanders select: Marvin Harrison Jr.

Scenario 3: Caleb Williams goes #1. Commanders select: Dallas Turner/Laiatu Latu.

Scenario 4: Marvin Harrison Jr goes #1. Commanders trade #2 to a team in top 10 for a very good haul. Team that receives #2 selects Caleb Williams. 

Scenario 5: Joe Alt/Olu Fashanu goes #1. Commanders select: Jayden Daniels.

Scenario 6: Commanders trade up for #1 pick, giving up their 2nd (41 ovr) and 2025 1st. Commanders select: Caleb Williams. 

Scenario 7: Jayden Daniels goes #1. Commanders select: Caleb Williams.

I could give a few more scenarios but essentially what I am after, is what is your dream draft scenario and your nightmare draft scenario?

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

So question just for general curiosity, how many of you would be upset/happy in these scenarios?

Do not like at all. Should get a haul for #2 if you're not going QB. 

He should be an elite talent. Would help whoever you have at QB. But make sure you have a QB. 

Scenario 3: Caleb Williams goes #1. Commanders select: Dallas Turner/Laiatu Latu.

Worst scenario.

Scenario 4: Marvin Harrison Jr goes #1. Commanders trade #2 to a team in top 10 for a very good haul. Team that receives #2 selects Caleb Williams. 

Would be interesting to see why we do that... depends on the haul to actually judge how much I like or don't like. 

This would be wild. 

Scenario 6: Commanders trade up for #1 pick, giving up their 2nd (41 ovr) and 2025 1st. Commanders select: Caleb Williams. 

I'm good with it to be honest. 

Best case we get to pick from Williams or Maye. 

I could give a few more scenarios but essentially what I am after, is what is your dream draft scenario and your nightmare draft scenario?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

1: No

2: No

3: No

4: No

5: No

6: Hell No

7: Yes

My dream scenario is as follows and I don't think its remotely possible FYI:

Pick 2: Maye/Williams. Whichever one is available. That's it. Very simple 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I’m good with everything except for #3, 4 & 5. 

At #3, you’re over drafting Dallas Turner or Laiatu Latu & passing on better prospects like MHJ, the QBs & the OTs.

#4, you’re passing on Caleb Williams and I’m not doing that.

#5, I have Caleb Williams and Drake Maye ahead of Jayden Daniels so I would hate to pass on those two to take Jayden Daniels.

In the end, I think the Bears either take MHJ at #1 or trade with someone who wants to draft Caleb Williams whether it be us or someone else.

If we trade up, we take Caleb Williams.

If someone else law jumps ahead of us to take Caleb Williams, if that’s the Patriots or someone else, I think we end up with Drake Maye at #2.

Basically, I think we’re coming out of this draft with Caleb Williams or Drakw Maye.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Yeah I think so that's why I think if the Bears want MHJ they better just pick him at one or move down with us and the Pats and pick up some third and fourth rounders along the way. 

I've been trying to brain storm what flipping 2 for 1 would cost? We haven't really seen that scenario, we've seen 3 for 2 before when the Bears traded up for Trubisky, and the Browns traded up from 4 to 3 for Trent Richardson. The Bears paid #3 overall, #67 (3) and #111 (4) + future 3rd and the Browns paid 4th, 5th and a 7th. Those picks aren't worth as much as #1 overall though and it wasn't for a presumed top end QB. 

So I think it has to include multiple assets and has to be more than what those were. So maybe we give the Bears their 2nd rounder back, our 5th round pick, a future 3rd, and maybe throw in Jon Allen? Is that enough? 

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I've been trying to brain storm what flipping 2 for 1 would cost? We haven't really seen that scenario, we've seen 3 for 2 before when the Bears traded up for Trubisky, and the Browns traded up from 4 to 3 for Trent Richardson. The Bears paid #3 overall, #67 (3) and #111 (4) + future 3rd and the Browns paid 4th, 5th and a 7th. Those picks aren't worth as much as #1 overall though and it wasn't for a presumed top end QB. 

So I think it has to include multiple assets and has to be more than what those were. So maybe we give the Bears their 2nd rounder back, our 5th round pick, a future 3rd, and maybe throw in Jon Allen? Is that enough? 

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

I get what you're saying but what you're offering is 264 points over the value of the first pick and on top of it you're throwing in Jonathan Allen. I think that's too much. I wouldn't offer a first or second. I would however, offer both thirds and a third next year plus Emmanuel Forbes. That's my best offer because I'm fine sitting at 2 and taking Drake Maye. 

• Like 1