The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

17 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If they pass on Drake Maye to go the safer route with a lesser prospect like Penix or Nix I think I’ll be so incredibly bummed. We’ll be right back at this again in two years wondering what QB we’re going to draft and talking about trading up to get one but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of Maye having issues with staring down his first read? @e16bballcould probably speak to that better than me. He’s seen Maye a lot more than me. 

Glad to hear you like him . 

Sorry to burst you guys bubbles, but we aren't drafting a QB @#2. Now, I do see us trading down & taking one, but not Williams or Maye.

Williams won't fit what this new ownership wants in character & Maye isn't coming here to understudy Howell....again.

I think ownership wants an absolute monster haul for the #2 pick & they will get it. Not just for this draft, but future years as well.

We go best available player on trade down & build this roster.

Roll with Sam Howell & draft another QB on day 2 or 3.

Howell wasn't the problem. The new management & coaching staff will see that.

Heck, I think Howell is still younger than some of the QB's in this draft.

I think HE was who Adam Peters was talking about when he mentioned we already have franchise building blocks on this team.

10 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I was looking for that compliment as well and I was just wondering if you had seen any tape on Jarquez Hunter. I like him a lot. I attached just a small sample of him, let me know what you think. 

I like him I like smaller quicker backs that can weave through traffic with good vision and of course catching ability is huge these days. I do think I love the class of RB’s next year mainly because of munkin and singleton who both had down years but I think next year is another dynamic class. But Hunter is a really good player for this years class

• Like 2

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I actually like McCarthy. He’s a true wild card. I think there’s an issue because you value the reps and experience. But you just rarely see them let him take over which hurts his case. But he can make all the throws. And if you look at what he has shown, he is a lot like Maye imo. He loves his TE in Loveland who I absolutely want here somehow some way at all costs. But he can make throws from any platform and across the body on the run. He’s made big time throws and he has shown NFL processing. Again it’s just not a lot but if you’re looking for a comp on tape he’s so similar to Wentz coming out pre injuries where Wentz could move and run. Has a arm and just the tape is so rare because the volume of run they do there.

7 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I actually like McCarthy. He’s a true wild card. I think there’s an issue because you value the reps and experience. But you just rarely see them let him take over which hurts his case. But he can make all the throws. And if you look at what he has shown, he is a lot like Maye imo. He loves his TE in Loveland who I absolutely want here somehow some way at all costs. But he can make throws from any platform and across the body on the run. He’s made big time throws and he has shown NFL processing. Again it’s just not a lot but if you’re looking for a comp on tape he’s so similar to Wentz coming out pre injuries where Wentz could move and run. Has a arm and just the tape is so rare because the volume of run they do there.

It's gonna be so interesting. Peters will pick a Q B ....somewhere. Could be #2 overall, could be rd 1 with a tradedown. Could be rd 3,4 or 5 .. but whomever he picks ( after he helped find Purdy ) will be fun to watch develop. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

I like watching JPJ from Oregon, and every time I watch them, I fall a little bit more for RB Bucky Irving. 

Little dude, he looks very short and a bit slender. But man, he is quick. He can catch the ball and he is impossible to tackle. He has that Darren Sproles type feel to him, a guy that knows how to use his small stature to his advantage. 

At pick 100, he’d be very appealing as a complement to Robinson and Rodriguez.

I'd love to get someone like him to be our next Chris Thompson/McKissic type scat back/receiving back.

11 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I think McCarthy certainly has more potential to be a better QB than he showed in college. Harbaugh limited what he had McCarthy do bc they had two great running backs & could win relying on them, their OL & D.

I would not pass on Caleb, Maye or Daniels to wait to take McCarthy in R2 but I do think McCarthy will be a better pro than what Harbaugh allowed him to show at Michigan.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Sorry to burst you guys bubbles, but we aren't drafting a QB @#2. Now, I do see us trading down & taking one, but not Williams or Maye.

Williams won't fit what this new ownership wants in character & Maye isn't coming here to understudy Howell....again.

I think ownership wants an absolute monster haul for the #2 pick & they will get it. Not just for this draft, but future years as well.

We go best available player on trade down & build this roster.

Roll with Sam Howell & draft another QB on day 2 or 3.

Howell wasn't the problem. The new management & coaching staff will see that.

Heck, I think Howell is still younger than some of the QB's in this draft.

I think HE was who Adam Peters was talking about when he mentioned we already have franchise building blocks on this team.

Adam Peters is not passing on Maye/Daniels because of Sam. He has no ties to Sam. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Adam Peters is not passing on Maye/Daniels because of Sam. He has no ties to Sam. 

Yeah, I mean I can see Sam beating the rookie we draft out to start the season but if Sam doesn't play well, or the team isn't winning, they won't hesitate to put the rookie in.

Ken Johannesen

The Commanders had meetings with the following players at the Hula Bowl:

Hayden Hatten, Wide Receiver, Idaho
Trey Knox, Tight End, South Carolina
Clark Barrington, Offensive Guard, Baylor
Darius Muasau, Linebacker, UCLA

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Ken Johannesen

Hayden Hatten, Wide Receiver, Idaho
Trey Knox, Tight End, South Carolina
Clark Barrington, Offensive Guard, Baylor
Darius Muasau, Linebacker, UCLA

All 4 of those positions are critical too this offseason

• Like 2

Ken Johannesen

Ja’Quan Sheppard, CB, Maryland
Blake Watson, RB, Memphis
Michael Furtney, OG, Wisconsin
Solomon Byrd, DE/Edge, Southern Cal
Marco Ortiz, LS, Nebraska
Omar Speights, LB, LSU
Patrick McMorris, FS, California

• Like 2

It kills me watching Amon-Ra tear teams up on the way to the championship game.

It’s not like Ron and company even made a bad pick with Dyami, but Amon-Ra was that dude, and he (and Nico Collins, incidentally) went in the next 30 picks. 

The difference between finding WR4 on your team and WR4 in the entire league is just franchise-changing. Doing that in the middle rounds, in addition to landing the expected studs at the top of the draft, is how you go from the bottom of the heap to the brink of the championship game. Really hoping that’s where Peters will work a little magic for us moving forward.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

It kills me watching Amon-Ra tear teams up on the way to the championship game.

It’s not like Ron and company even made a bad pick with Dyami, but Amon-Ra was that dude, and he (and Nico Collins, incidentally) went in the next 30 picks. 

The difference between finding WR4 on your team and WR4 in the entire league is just franchise-changing. Doing that in the middle rounds, in addition to landing the expected studs at the top of the draft, is how you go from the bottom of the heap to the brink of the championship game. Really hoping that’s where Peters will work a little magic for us moving forward.

I remember you loving Amon-Ra St. Brown too as a prospect. If I remember correctly you wanted us to take him in R2 of the 2021 draft.