Deshaun Watson

2 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

He isn't a guy who looks good no matter what the circumstances are around him, which means he isn't an all time great which is what the hope was.

He can certainly be a serviceable starter in the league and I think we'd be doing great right now with him (doing okay with PJ) but he isn't the golden child.

I mean, I’d rather have basically anyone over Watson. Unfortunately that won’t happen til 2027 at the earliest.

31 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Problem is, the guaranteed salary. A team can't trade for him and get out of the guaranteed $138 million over the next 3 years.

It would help if he would play and play well but then we wouldn't trade him.

There is almost no way to move on from him until his final year. We'd have to give up a lot for a team to take him if he is struggling, multiple 1sts. That isn't going to look good for anyone in the organization.

The whole reason we’d include draft picks is so a team would take on that contract.

Now obviously, I don’t know what owners have the pockets to have an escrow like that.

6 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

I think if brought into a good or normal situation he would have been

Maybe so, but he was an outlier even we we drafted him. Short, elongated throwing motion, struggled vs pressure, Lincoln Riley system, 2 back offense, old prospect, sloppy footwork, felt pocket ghosts in a clean pocket. He basically has improved on none of those things since.

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Maybe so, but he was an outlier even we we drafted him. Short, elongated throwing motion, struggled vs pressure, Lincoln Riley system, 2 back offense, old prospect, sloppy footwork, felt pocket ghosts in a clean pocket. He basically has improved on none of those things since.

Lincoln Riley system? Lincoln Riley has more NFL QBs than any other college coach. He's gotten worse at most of the things youve listed since hes been in the league because his coaching and development was poor. Hes a pocket passer with a great arm and touch and made quick, great decisions. And we failed to develop him. He was ranked by ESPN as the best colege player of the 2000s. Hes not some scrub. He was a super duper star.  

49 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Lincoln Riley system? Lincoln Riley has more NFL QBs than any other college coach

And almost all of them have massively underachieved, kind of my point. Great for college and doesn’t translate well at the pro level.

50 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

He was ranked by ESPN as the best colege player of the 2000s

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!! That’s an absolute joke. Shows what they know. Cam and Burrow are infinitely better and it’s not close, not to mention Tebow. Dude that as a baseline to prove a point is a meme.

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

The whole reason we’d include draft picks is so a team would take on that contract.

Now obviously, I don’t know what owners have the pockets to have an escrow like that.

If he is still struggling it will take a lot of high picks for a team to pay him 48 million for 3 years with no cap relief if they cut him.

My guess would be at least 2 1st round picks and Watson and maybe get back a 3rd or something.

The issue with that would be that would be 5 1st we spent for 10-15 games of Watson. I think we have to just stick with him, unfortunately. It would be career suicide for the current front office to do that that.

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

The issue with that would be that would be 5 1st we spent for 10-15 games of Watson. I think we have to just stick with him, unfortunately. It would be career suicide for the current front office to do that that.

You’re right, but it’s why I say it’s more of a last resort.

It’d also be more of a move made by a new front office.

• Like 1

I love MVPJ Walker’s heart, grit, moxie, whatever you want to call it, but I’m done with the experiment.

Imo either Watson is ready to go on Sunday or it needs to be DTR or they need to make a trade or sign someone like Wentz.  

We’re still in the mix for a playoff spot, but we can’t keep giving away wins because of absolutely inept QB play.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I love MVPJ Walker’s heart, grit, moxie, whatever you want to call it, but I’m done with the experiment.

Imo either Watson is ready to go on Sunday or it needs to be DTR or they need to make a trade or sign someone like Wentz.  

We’re still in the mix for a playoff spot, but we can’t keep giving away wins because of absolutely inept QB play.

Agree with most of this, except for being in the mix for a playoff spot. Technically, sure, but we're not winning the division, and the wildcard is a long shot at this point with this offense playing the way it is, the defense falling back to earth, and better teams like the Bengals on the rise.

Just now, dawgdish said:

Agree with most of this, except for being in the mix for a playoff spot. Technically, sure, but we're not winning the division, and the wildcard is a long shot at this point with this offense playing the way it is, the defense falling back to earth, and better teams like the Bengals on the rise.

We’re 4-3.  We play the cardinals next week and had better effin be 5-3.  That’s in the mix.

If Watson is anything close to his former self we’re absolutely gonna be fine.

If he’s not a wildcard spot is the least of our concerns.

Browns get the Dobbs led Cardinals next week followed by an autoloss in Baltimore where Watson gets “banged up” again and misses Pittsburgh where that has about a 12-9 coin flip final written all over it, followed by a game in Denver where if we won vs Pittsburgh then Watson plays, unless there’s snow in the forecast, in which case he wears a coat and beanie on the sideline.

On 10/28/2023 at 8:22 AM, MWil23 said:

I mean, I’d rather have basically anyone over Watson. Unfortunately that won’t happen til 2027 at the earliest.

Take faith my friend the turn around can be quick if leshaun will wave his no trade clause

Look at how good this team is with a 32nd ranked qb plus a 33rd ranked qb.

Withh garropollo,cousins,and Mayfield available.