New Regime Options

beardown3231

2 weeks ago I was getting more confident Eberflus would be back (see above)

After yesterday I'm beginning to believe this conversation will be the second toughest call of Poles' offseason. While the D looks a lot better, you can't keep blowing 4th quarter leads. Some of the vets' words yesterday and today seem like they're tired of him (I guess anyone can classify them however they want)

I think they'll probably beat Arizona by 10+ and they'll beat ATL. What happens in Green Bay will decide Eberflus' future imo. Even if they lose 13-10, I think he's out

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

2 weeks ago I was getting more confident Eberflus would be back (see above)

After yesterday I'm beginning to believe this conversation will be the second toughest call of Poles' offseason. While the D looks a lot better, you can't keep blowing 4th quarter leads. Some of the vets' words yesterday and today seem like they're tired of him (I guess anyone can classify them however they want)

I think they'll probably beat Arizona by 10+ and they'll beat ATL. What happens in Green Bay will decide Eberflus' future imo. Even if they lose 13-10, I think he's out

Matt Eberflus would like you to hold his beer!  Would love to have a statistician work out the odds of blowing three of those 98%ers in a season. 

This is one of those seasons where I can read the justifications for keeping them all, and firing them all and be equally convinced that the Bears could do either or anything in between. 

• Like 1

I was thinking about potential DCs under Flus or indeed if we move on from Flus and go after an offensive minded HC and Brandon Lynch came to mind because of has good he has the Browns' DBs playing...not only would he bring so of Schwartz's scheme but he was on the Colts for a year under Tony Dungy so would understand a lot of what we already do here...

Of course if Flus does stay then Phil Snow should be offered the DC role if he wants it but if not Lynch would make a lot of sense.

• Like 1

How can any owners know that without having tampered?  That’s an absurd ask that would likely turn teams away from him.  He’s a hot commodity who will have many suitors, so he will have leverage to demand a high salary.  But to start at $15m?  That’s crazy.  He’s probably making, what, 1m?  1.5m?  I think i read HCs usually start around $6m.  

So this just doesn’t make sense to me.  Unless it’s Detroit people putting this news out to try to keep Johnson.

33 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

How can any owners know that without having tampered?  That’s an absurd ask that would likely turn teams away from him.  He’s a hot commodity who will have many suitors, so he will have leverage to demand a high salary.  But to start at $15m?  That’s crazy.  He’s probably making, what, 1m?  1.5m?  I think i read HCs usually start around $6m.  

So this just doesn’t make sense to me.  Unless it’s Detroit people putting this news out to try to keep Johnson.

OR Luke Getsy himself floated this out there, wisely knowing his mark George McCaskey would fall into a financial coma at the thought of paying a coach that much, and by the time he recovers in Febuary it'll be too late to consider making a change.  Sometimes he's got some innovative ideas is all I'm saying. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

It would be pretty easy for his agent to be speaking about something else to slip in his demands...that said his agent has came out and said this is a load of nonsense and there currently is no asking price...it does seem a bit far fetched he would think as a 1st time HC he would be worth that much.

I think Kevin Warren has a healthy respect for Ryan Poles so I don't foresee any changes happening there.

Matt Eberflus is a bit of a toss-up because the team has stuck together (say what you want, this isn't promised in any organization) and the defense has been playing elite ball the past 5+ weeks (17.4 ppg, 14 takeaways). With 2022 being a throw-away season, I'm not sure a GM would be wise to bring players in to fit Eberflus' scheme/culture and then fire him. I think he's back, I think Phil Snow has the defensive coordinator job if he wants it (he may just want to stay on as a Senior Defensive Analyst). Leslie Frazier would be a wonderful hire, IMO, considering what he accomplished in Buffalo PLUS his familiarity with Tremaine Edmunds.

On the offensive side of the ball I really don't know what will happen. I know what SHOULD happen and that is everyone getting launched into the sun (save for maybe -- MAYBE -- Chris Morgan). I'm not sure you can bring Luke Getsy back for another season, and that's regardless of who our starting QB will be (Fields or a rookie).

I think it might be wise to start digging into potential offensive coordinators, my short list (in no particular order):

Greg Roman

Kellen Moore

Darrell Bevell (remember him?)

Ken Dorsey

1 hour ago, dafreak said:

Watching TNF tonight - Puka Nacua was drafted by the Rams 44 picks after the Bears took Tyler Scott. The Rams also drafted Kyren Williams in the 5th round of the 2022 draft. It matters.

Those guys are good players

Not to take away from those guys but coaching also matters

Rams have a way better offensive system than what the Bears are employing under Getsy

13 hours ago, G08 said:

Greg Roman

Kellen Moore

Darrell Bevell (remember him?)

Ken Dorsey

I was originally hoping we could give Joe Brady his next chance, but he is likely to hang onto the Bills gig after turning them around a bit (although the Defense getting healthy is probably a bigger factor)

I still have Eric Bieniemy and Frank Reich at the top of my list.