Weighing Futures of Current GM and Current HC

chisoxguy7

4 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Unironically I think Caleb Williams will cause them to fire everyone. Just the risk of the national embarrassment from "the best qb prospect in a decade" going on national television and being like "hell no I'm not playing for that dumpster franchise, they ruin everyone's careers" is enough to fire everyone, tbh. They literally need to be able to sell QB prospects on  why Chicago is worth playing for.

I had the same thought, I feel like the biggest negative motivator for McCaskey is embarrassment. If they really are in the running I suggest we start a rumor that Williams won't play for the Bears if any of the staff are retained. 

• Like 1

IMO Poles stays.  His job is to build a contender through the draft.  He also knows we're in rebuild mode, not win now mode which is what Angelo, Emery and Pace have all thought since we went to the Super Bowl back in 2006.  Poles also hasn't drafted a QB yet, looks like we'll be drafting 1st overall next year.  Caleb Williams and Harrison?  Verse? Fashanu?

Everyone else is gone.

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

In the first paragraph you say they've never moved on from a coach this fast since 1957 and then in the next you say Trestman was fired after less games than what Eberflus will have after week 18

I get the feeling they'll tell Poles he's either responsible for firing Eberflus or he's gone too. Either way, Eberflus will not be the coach in 2024

Yeah, I just didn’t transcribe my thoughts correctly. I meant to write the only head coach who coached less than Trestman and probably Eberflus. I write my posts as I’m doing research and I don’t always do a good job of proofreading. Sorry about that!

Edited by chisoxguy7
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

In the first paragraph you say they've never moved on from a coach this fast since 1957 and then in the next you say Trestman was fired after less games than what Eberflus will have after week 18

I get the feeling they'll tell Poles he's either responsible for firing Eberflus or he's gone too. Either way, Eberflus will not be the coach in 2024

I think (maybe hope) Warren does exactly this if he is on board with Poles. If he was dissatisfied with the moves Poles made and was using this as an evaluation year on him then he can cut Poles himself. Honestly outside of setting a few clear expectations I would like Warren to really be evaluation everyone from Poles down and reviewing potential candidates for their successors. He has no allegiances and knows the incompetence of this organization. 

Really we are hoping he is a good hire and that will trickle down to competency throughout the org. Ugh. 

So admitting the Bears could turn this around and win a couple games blah blah blah, the most fascinating thing on my mind for this season has nothing to do with the play sadly. It's what can and will Kevin Warren do? Do you guys think he really has say over the hiring and firing of everybody including polls? Or is this the kind of thing where he'd have to get George's okay first? And if he really wants to and George doesn't what happens? Secondly we have no idea how involved he wants to be in this kind of thing. Is he going to wait for George to say something if there's firings that need to happen? Or is he really here to develop a stadium and provide a modern veneer to the organization of the bears? My own guess is that he could if desire to go to George and say we need to fire blah blah blah person and could probably do it. I also have gotten the feeling he's going to be quiet until something like that happens, I don't think he's going to be out in front of the media saying people around notice or anything like that. It sucks that this kind of question has become more interesting to me than the actual play on the field so far. if they were to lose two to three more games, I get the feeling we're going to see him come out possibly with holes and make changes in the coaching staff.

Can you guys imagine what it would be like to be oh I don't know wondering about a team's playoff chances right now, or wondering what players going to emerge? That would be cool.

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Plllllease 

How is it guys like Bill Polian and Erni Acorsi are consulted in all of these decisions and then they still get too much imput from Ted Phillips and randos not affiliated with the team?  Clearly theres an issue with how the team is run from top down.  Hopefully Warren is competent.  

43 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

How is it guys like Bill Polian and Erni Acorsi are consulted in all of these decisions and then they still get too much imput from Ted Phillips and randos not affiliated with the team?  Clearly theres an issue with how the team is run from top down.  Hopefully Warren is competent.  

There's another piece of the article where the outside advisors were interviewing some guys and George/Ted were only taking Armstrong's advice & listening to his input

56 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I don't think the opinions of Polian or Acorsi were much better to be honest...both were out of the game for too long and past their best as execs...

I am still convinced they wanted Armstrong as president with Poles & Flus under him which is why they took his advice so strongly...I also think asking the agent of anyone for advice is pretty incompetent...

As much as it was obvious that Poles was wanted by the Vikes & Flus by the Jags it still placed right into Armstrong's hands to recommend these guys to anyone that would listen...

I suspect Warren keeps Poles as GM given how he has went about amassing resources but I think the HC search will be very different this time around.

24 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I don’t put that past him at all. But his main source for this is a guy who didn’t get hired by the Bears. Seems pretty relevant 

Normally he says "I've heard x,y,z." These specific quotes would be tough to make up.

Also, I think it is relevant. I think said person would know what the process was like

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Normally he says "I've heard x,y,z." These specific quotes would be tough to make up.

Also, I think it is relevant. I think said person would know what the process was like

You dont think the person who was passed over just maybe might have a negative view about the Franchise who didnt give him the job, especially when speaking with "complete" anonymity?

And his quote about what Warren is going to/is allowed to do is either JLC or whoever his "source is" just taking a stab in the dark.

I cant even believe we are even taking this much time to discuss a La Canfora opinion piece (because that about all his writing is worth these days, his credibility is that far in the toilet)