In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Theo Jackson the antithesis of Lewis Cine and Andrew Booth. 

Just goes to show that athletic ability only gets you so far. If you aren’t willing to put in the work, and grind, then there will be no place for you. 

I don't know if you can just come to the assumption that they didn't work hard enough.  Maybe it's solely that, in combination with injuries, that they just weren't as smart as they thought they were, in ability to pick up the defense.  It's not always just about working hard (although that certainly has a significant impact), it's also about mental ability.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I don't know if you can just come to the assumption that they didn't work hard enough

At this point I can. 

It’s not like Cine/Booth are 2nd string that just happened to get passed over by someone who surprised everyone. These guys are damn near last on the depth chart. We’re seeing players move from other positions getting more snaps in practice. We’re seeing street free agents who have been nothing but warm bodies their entire careers coming in and getting more reps in practice. 

For two players, as athletically gifted as they are, to be as buried on the depth chart the way they are is beyond a lack of talent. This is way beyond injuries. This is way beyond picking up the defense. 

I have no problem saying that Cine and Booth look like two players who faced adversity for the first time in their athletic careers, and neither one has seemed to put in the work to fight through it. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, viking said:

Malik Nabers is killing it in Giants camp - I'm already looking forward to Flores holding him to 3 catches for 14 yards in week 1

Don't rip me like people were doing on Twitter when I suggested that Jones didn't even throw the ball on time in one widely-viewed video that Nabers made a good catch on.  In an actual game, Nabers probably would have gotten killed.

3 hours ago, viking said:

Malik Nabers is killing it in Giants camp - I'm already looking forward to Flores holding him to 3 catches for 14 yards in week 1

So it'll be the opposite of when chase has a bad camp and torched the Vikings week1?

• Like 1

On 8/4/2024 at 9:12 AM, SteelKing728 said:

What is going on with Jerry Tillery?

Vikings Head Coach Kevin O'Connell explained Tillery had suffered a laceration on his lower leg that required stitches, but he is expected to fully recover.

vikings.com

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

So it'll be the opposite of when chase has a bad camp and torched the Vikings week1?

Yessir

Flores is gonna shut down the Giants in week 1.

Vikings will lead 20-0 going into the 4th and the final score will be 23-3

10 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Vikings Head Coach Kevin O'Connell explained Tillery had suffered a laceration on his lower leg that required stitches, but he is expected to fully recover.

vikings.com

Maybe it's just me because I'm constantly looking up Vikings news, but it felt like forever for that information to be released. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Maybe it's just me because I'm constantly looking up Vikings news, but it felt like forever for that information to be released. Thanks!

it wasn't released until yesterday. injury reports and details during training camps are not mandatory on teams.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2024 at 9:14 AM, SemperFeist said:

At this point I can. 

It’s not like Cine/Booth are 2nd string that just happened to get passed over by someone who surprised everyone. These guys are damn near last on the depth chart. We’re seeing players move from other positions getting more snaps in practice. We’re seeing street free agents who have been nothing but warm bodies their entire careers coming in and getting more reps in practice. 

For two players, as athletically gifted as they are, to be as buried on the depth chart the way they are is beyond a lack of talent. This is way beyond injuries. This is way beyond picking up the defense. 

I have no problem saying that Cine and Booth look like two players who faced adversity for the first time in their athletic careers, and neither one has seemed to put in the work to fight through it. 

Agreed.

As for the work ethic comment by some others, what else could it be.  Injuries have hurt both greatly, so either they are not tough mentally or physically to over come and actually come back from injury or they simply do not put in the work to learn the defense and study/improve their ability to play at this level.

Booth had adversity in college, he was hurt a few times and did fight back from those injuries.  Both played on super deep football teams and had to work their way into the starting lineup, it is not like either one was just given the starting spot and had no competition.  They were both part of super elite defensive programs, two of the best in college and were on stacked defensive rosters, especially Cine on Georgia.  They had to put in work in college and faced adversity.

There is no reason why they cannot put in the work that Theo Jackson has put in.  Theo Jackson is not winning on physical ability alone it is his preparation and to me preparation is all about work ethic and putting in the time.  Why in the world Cine or Booth would not put in equal time I have no clue because they are about to have their football career come to and end.

Theo Jackson is preparing and improving like he wants to extend but basically start his career, Cine and Booth seem fine to get the rookie money they have and be on their way out.  

I also do not think that Booth or Cine are not smart enough to pick it up and Theo Jackson is this super smart guy.  Willingness to learn and wanting to learn is more important than your cognitive ability, especially if the other one is not willing or even wanting to learn.  Theo Jackson and Andrew Booth both majored in communications, Cine majored in psychology.  To me it is most likely a work ethic issue, and Theo Jackson is preparing like he wants a big pay day down the road, Cine and Booth are preparing like they are totally fine with the one pay day they got and are not super interesting in getting a 2nd contract.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting commentary from Tua on Flores vs McDaniels:

"To put it in simplest terms, if you woke up every morning and I told you that you suck at what you did, that you don't belong doing what you do, that you shouldn't be here, that this guy should be here, that you haven't earned this right," Tagovailoa said on the "Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz." "And then you have somebody come in and tell you, 'Dude, you are the best fit for this, you are accurate, you are the best whatever, you are this, you are that."

4 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Interesting commentary from Tua on Flores vs McDaniels:

"To put it in simplest terms, if you woke up every morning and I told you that you suck at what you did, that you don't belong doing what you do, that you shouldn't be here, that this guy should be here, that you haven't earned this right," Tagovailoa said on the "Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz." "And then you have somebody come in and tell you, 'Dude, you are the best fit for this, you are accurate, you are the best whatever, you are this, you are that."

One of the big reasons why Flores likely won't get another HC gig.

What a terrible attitude to bring to a rookie QB.....

• Like 1