In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

This maybe could have gone in the GDT but Flores has resurrected Jordan Hicks career. He looks so different.

The defense is so aggressive, and besides the Chargers game, looks completely different from Donatell's soft shell defense.

If the defense continues to play at this level, will Flores end up leaving for a HC position you think?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

This maybe could have gone in the GDT but Flores has resurrected Jordan Hicks career. He looks so different.

The defense is so aggressive, and besides the Chargers game, looks completely different from Donatell's soft shell defense.

If the defense continues to play at this level, will Flores end up leaving for a HC position you think?

Hopefully he stays for another year but I could see him getting another HC job sooner that later.  I don't know how the lawsuit plays into that though

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

And that job is likely going to Mayo. 

Probably.  Which further reinforces why it's likely that Flores is here at least through 2024. I'm not even sure there's going to be a whole lot of openings after this year.  Belichick could walk away, maybe the Commanders move on from Riverboat Ron, you never know what Jerry's going to do with McCarthy, the Chargers could move on and the Raiders could move on from McDaniels.  However, I have no idea who else would be on the hot seat.  I don't necessarily see any of those jobs as being real attractive for Flores, as all of them have ownership issues. 

42 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Probably.  Which further reinforces why it's likely that Flores is here at least through 2024. I'm not even sure there's going to be a whole lot of openings after this year.  Belichick could walk away, maybe the Commanders move on from Riverboat Ron, you never know what Jerry's going to do with McCarthy, the Chargers could move on and the Raiders could move on from McDaniels.  However, I have no idea who else would be on the hot seat.  I don't necessarily see any of those jobs as being real attractive for Flores, as all of them have ownership issues. 

I think Rivera is safe if the Commanders finish 8-9 or 9-8.  The offense is held back by Howell and injuries. Their D is better than average and improving game to game.  They are a fringe playoff team.  

1 hour ago, Captain Relax said:

I think Rivera is safe if the Commanders finish 8-9 or 9-8.  The offense is held back by Howell and injuries. Their D is better than average and improving game to game.  They are a fringe playoff team.  

According to the Commanders fan I just had lunch with (one of my coworkers), he says that they need to build a new stadium, rename the team, get new uniforms and fire everyone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

According to the Commanders fan I just had lunch with (one of my coworkers), he says that they need to build a new stadium, rename the team, get new uniforms and fire everyone. 

As someone who lives in the DC area, your coworker is correct. Washington is set for a total rebranding this offseason. The fan base is over Rivera and I won't be shocked if Bieniemy becomes the next HC.

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Doesn't every fan base say most of those things?? It's probably a good thing that FO's don't listen to fans.

Edited by Captain Relax

7 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Doesn't every fan base say most of those things?? It's probably a good thing that FO's don't listen to fans.

They do, but I think the Commanders are a unique case, because their previous ownership was filled with such negativity that tarnished the brand of that franchise whichever name it was under, that it may be in their best interest to wipe the slate clean.  It is a worse situation than what happened in Cleveland and Houston when their franchises moved to Baltimore and Tennessee, respectively...and it took the drafting of Peyton Manning to wipe away the bad taste that the Irsays left in Baltimore (as Indianapolis Colts really never has seemed right...although certainly not to the extent of the Utah Jazz).    

Edited by swede700

42 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

That is not something that I expected.  I expected Flores to improve the defense but thought there would be more explosive plays as players learned the more attacking style. It's good to see the team hasn't been giving up too many explosive plays even while blitzing so much. 

It's sure a lot more fun watching the game when the team is on defense now too, which is nice.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, swede700 said:

and it took the drafting of Peyton Manning to wipe away the bad taste that the Irsays left in Baltimore (as Indianapolis Colts really never has seemed right...although certainly not to the extent of the Utah Jazz).    

The Jazz always seemed like a bad fit in a state that doesn't even allow music.

(Baseketball, IYKYK)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

That is not something that I expected.  I expected Flores to improve the defense but thought there would be more explosive plays as players learned the more attacking style. It's good to see the team hasn't been giving up too many explosive plays even while blitzing so much. 

It's sure a lot more fun watching the game when the team is on defense now too, which is nice.

I had the same concern, but while they've been able to prevent the big plays, as a result, they've allowed teams to sustain a lot of long drives, which when you couple them with the short length of offensive drives, isn't a formula for sustained success.  In only the Chargers game did the Vikings have more ToP than their opponents.  That has to change. 

• Like 1