In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Here is what you said about another player the Vikings picked instead.

"It's weak for anyone to hate a guy who hasn't even played a down yet...or the hate the guy who picked the guy who hasn't even played a down yet and has also signed other players who haven't even played a down for the team yet...and has let go several other players who, funny, haven't been signed by anyone else either.  "

"I think we should also be somewhat pleased that Cine was coached for a year in HS by Deion Sanders.  While Deion was not exactly an open-field tackler, it appears that he taught Lewis to be one."

"Considering Cine has always been a thumper, he's going to fit what Flores does far better than what Donatell would have asked him to do.  I hope he can be a far better version of Sendejo. "

Guess what has happened, Kyle Hamilton has turned into a Pro Bowl level safety and one of the best in the NFL one arguably the best defense in the NFL, Lewis Cine is sitting on the bench while Josh Metellus has taken his spot, so has Cam Bynum and both have developed into two of the best most versatile safeties in the NFL.  While Lewis Cine sits on the bench and waits for Harrison Smith to hopefully retire.  And even if he does Theo Jackson has got more playing time than Cine has this year.  

But no Kyle Hamilton sucks right...  Lucky for the Vikings Watson gets hurt a ton and Jameson Williams constantly gets suspended and hurt also so at least that has worked out well for them.

And I will not even address your thumper commentary which is a laughing joke after what Cine showed just in the preseason about not being able to take contact at all and hold up physically.    

Oh look, a bait-taker. Seriously, give it up. Please. At least start a thread whose purpose is to complain about who we didn’t draft and confine it there. No amount of griping or chest-thumping is going to undo the draft pick. This thread is about Flores and what he’s doing with the players who are actually on the team.  

• Like 4

In 2022, the Vikings ranked 31st in yards allowed, 30th in points allowed, and 27th via defensive DVOA.

One year later, the club ranks 13th in yards allowed, 8th in points allowed, and 9th in DVOA. What a turnaround, hiring Brian Flores as defensive coordinator in February really did the trick. Some believed it would take longer than one offseason, but that was false.

Minnesota is only in the playoff hunt because its defense suddenly became stifling. Even the most cheerful Vikings optimists pegged a defensive improvement of possibly 16th or so in the NFL.

Nope, this brand of Vikings has a Top 8 defense per EPA/Play after 12 games.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/analysis/stats-so-far?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 1

One thing I would like to see from the team. It seems like Flores should have the opportunity to call timeout at the end of halves/end of game. They are just going to go to waste otherwise. As a fan, it feels like there have been times where the defense could have used an adjustment/reassessment/refresh right before those time periods.  

i read somewhere that Flores stated he expects Jordan Hicks to return before the end of the season.

EDIT: here it is.

On Tuesday, Vikings defensive coordinator Brian Flores said, via Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com, that there is optimism about Hicks being well enough to return to the lineup. Hicks is currently taking part in meetings and doing other off-field work at the Vikings facility.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/vikings-optimistic-that-jordan-hicks-can-return-this-season

Edited by vike daddy

After some fine-tuning of a novel scheme that had never been seen in the NFL, Flores has the Vikings defense playing like a top-five unit, fueling the team to six wins in their past nine games.

Since Week 4, the Vikings rank fifth in points allowed per game (17.8) and yards per play (4.8), third in defensive success rate (60%) and expected points added (42.8) and second in defensive efficiency (71.2), according to a December 1 ESPN story.

O’Connell: “He has surpassed what even I thought could be possible in Year 1.He  is incredibly bright, he is somebody that I trust completely. That does not surprise me [that he is getting head coaching interest]. That was my expectation when I brought him in here, that he would do what he has done with our defense … not a surprise to me that the league is taking notice with the quality of a coach and man that he is.”

Flores: “I understand the [head coaching possibility], I really do. My message to our guys yesterday was we’ve got 35 guaranteed days. That’s all we got that’s guaranteed. I asked them to put everything into these 35 days. I can’t give that message and not heed that message. My focus is on these guys, this team, these next five games because that’s all we really have. I understand the question, but that’s where my focus is.”

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/brian-flores-nfl-head-coach-rumors/?fbclid=IwAR2rUTcgRoNd51ewqHgnrWDbuNO42G3ydr3KxTCiqNJt5lyWL2a2m6ByLko

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

let's play the Brian Flores What If Game...

• what teams could be looking for a new Head Coach next year...?
  • of those teams, which would be leaning toward having a defensive minded coach...?
  • of that even lesser population, which teams would consider interviewing and hiring Flores...?

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

what teams could be looking for a new Head Coach next year...?

Chicago, Washington, Carolina, Las Vegas, Los Angels Chargers, Tampa Bay, New England, Buffalo, Tennessee are the 8 positions I see opening up.

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

of those teams, which would be leaning toward having a defensive minded coach...?

Most of those 8 currently have defensive minded head coaches, so I don't think most of them would go that route. I certainly would expect Chicago, Carolina, the Chargers, and Tennessee to lean towards an offensive minded coach with their young QBs. 

9 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

of that even lesser population, which teams would consider interviewing and hiring Flores...?

Not sure I see any.

• Like 1

Let's not forget that Flores withdrew himself from the Arizona job.

I think it's fair to say he might be choosy about which job he takes on. The flip side of that is who can blame a guy for getting antsy and talking themselves into a bad job.

Oh the teams Semper listed (which seems fitting enough, so I'll just use it) I would list: chargers, buffalo, and the bears as situations that aren't total train wrecks. Tampa and Tennessee might be ok and all of these teams currently have defensive coaches.

I also don't think Vebral or McDermott are getting booted.

Ps- I only listed Chicago as good because they have a decent amount of young talent and a ton of draft capital. I don't know what to make of their organization.

Edited by Dolmonite26
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I wonder if we'll see some defensive coaches poached even if Flores does stay.  I feel like a lot of teams will be trying copy some of this defense.  

Most of the defensive coaches are Donatell hold overs. So, even if Flores remains the DC, I’d expect a few new position coaches.

30 minutes ago, viking said:

I really hope KOC, KAM and the Wilfs do everything in their power to keep him for another year.

Pay rise

Assistant HC promotion

Promise to commit offseason resources to the defensive side of the ball

do everything!!

The good news is the team has far more control over the outcome as it relates to Brian Flores than they do over players like Kirk Cousins and Danielle Hunter. The team can't give Flores a head coaching job, but there is no limit to what else they can offer like the limits the team has on what it can offer players.

I like your ideas. IMO, the team should be willing to pay Flores more than any team would be willing to give a first-year head coach. 

Indeed, the team has more control over whether they keep Flores than it has over Hunter and Cousins.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Chicago, Washington, Carolina, Las Vegas, Los Angels Chargers, Tampa Bay, New England, Buffalo, Tennessee are the 8 positions I see opening up.

Well, you know the Chargers are going to hire Bill Belichick...that's pretty much a given.  🤣

Tennessee is having a down year, but I'm not sure they get rid of Vrabel yet.  I'd think he'll be on a short leash next year though considering it'll be 2 years in a row under .500.

While I don't truly expect it yet (and it's probably unlikely), don't count out Pete Carroll retiring...he is 72 yrs old, even though he often doesn't seem like it.

I'm not sure what Buffalo is going to do, but I don't think they can fire McDermott...he's only had one losing season and that was 5 years ago. 

I feel the same about Tampa Bay, but not because of Bowles, but because I have no idea what their direction is...they seem like they're a listless franchise right now with no clear direction. 

It'll also be interesting to see what the Jets do, since Saleh has yet to have a winning season (has often been dealt a bad hand, however)..as well as the Browns (who really have no business considering firing Kevin, but they are an erratic organization). 

• Like 1