2023: Week 5: @ Vikings (Sunday, Oct. 8)

onejayhawk

Weird how the pass rush vanished towards the end of the game. Rushing 4 all the time, giving Cousins lots of time.

In other news: I don't think Mahomes' foot is 100%. He's underthrowing, anything that hits him there has him limping a bit. And now a short week.
Kelce: After watching him last week and at the beginning of this one I thought he's making business decisions for the first time - not going for the final inch. That somehow changed after he returned from his injury.

And finally: For the players' sake: kick out that artifical turf.

I just got in but was able to pick up much of the 2nd half at a restaurant. 

Rice is starting to look like a great pick. Ross is playing like a rookie, albeit a rookie with promise. 

Was it three or four sacks? Danna got one to effectively end the game and the Chris Jones sack was artistic. 

Defense is a blast to watch.   Offense is sloppy, but keep working those young guys in.   The only way they’ll improve is getting reps under fire,  I do hope we eventually cut some of them out of the rotation.  At some point you need to establish a consistency with someone besides Kelce. 

• Like 3

They really went after Ross today, I’m hopeful he gets more targets despite the drops. 

Kelce is a warrior hopefully that ankle is minor like his brothers was last year

Offense looked good, Vikes are known for bad defense so that makes sense. Pacheco getting shut down stymied us a bit but they were blitzing a lot to generate some heat on Mahomes and it worked pretty well Flores knows what he’s doing. 

• Like 1

Defense was decent. I want to say great but Vikings have a great offense too and they did pretty well, we only forced one punt. That fumble was the game changer though. Shutting dow Justin Jefferson as well what a great team effort but especially Sneed and McDuffie. They are the truth. Jones is rounding back into form and may break his sack a game record. Chenal got a sack! I think we miss Bolton, especially against the run. 

also that’s the second time we’ve had a fake punt work on us. That seemed pretty obvious too, midfield down, desperate team. I will say I’m happy I’m no longer worried about returns though. 

11 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Another gritty win but I'll take it all day long.

Spagz finally has his type of toys out there and it's showing. Still kinda baffled we're being conservative a lot of times lol

Good win, Chiefs fans. I'm glad my team hanged with one of the best all the way through when we are going through a down year.

I'm still not sure your team has hit their full stride though. Season is still young, but I would like to see Andy be aggressive and add more talent at the trade deadline to try to get over the hump.

Good luck the rest of the way and please beat Green Bay!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chiefer said:

They really went after Ross today, I’m hopeful he gets more targets despite the drops. 

Kelce is a warrior hopefully that ankle is minor like his brothers was last year

Offense looked good, Vikes are known for bad defense so that makes sense. Pacheco getting shut down stymied us a bit but they were blitzing a lot to generate some heat on Mahomes and it worked pretty well Flores knows what he’s doing. 

Mahomes is talking him up. He's still raw but the talent is there. 
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/patrick_mahomes_chiefs_see_the_talent_of_justyn_ross/s1_16631_39364540

Some may be not so well received observations:

That Watson sideline catch: I would have turned it over.
That other catch & non-fumble (was it Kelce?): edgy ...
Didn't have a chance to check that final OPI/NOPI thingy as my stream crashed. But taking of the helmet after that is just stupid.

Other than that: I was not happy with the defensive layout the second half.
Way to little pressure on Cousins .. and he exploited. Not asking for a 5 or 6 men rush every time - but a consistently non-penetrating 4-men rush may ask a question or two.

2 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

That Watson sideline catch: I would have turned it over.                        AGREED
That other catch & non-fumble (was it Kelce?): edgy ...                         I think they got this right.  
Didn't have a chance to check that final OPI/NOPI thingy as my stream crashed. But taking of the helmet after that is just stupid.   NOPI was right imo,   Helmet should have been called after the play

Way to little pressure on Cousins .. and he exploited. Not asking for a 5 or 6 men rush every time - but a consistently non-penetrating 4-men rush may ask a question or two.

Pass rush was light in the 2nd half for sure,   That's a pretty solid OL when healthy though.   Need continued growth from FAU as this season progresses,  and Omenihu will help free up Chris Jones "some" once he returns.    I'm pretty excited about this Defense though,   Minnesota is a good offense when they are rolling.    Holding them to 20 and Jefferson to what we did,  is impressive.      We actually only gave up 7 points in the 2nd despite the lack of pressure,   and once Jefferson went out...   we flipped what we were doing and seemed like we played soft for a possession or 2.   

Omenihu is the missing ingredient in this defense. FAU needs to develop, but this defense is not going to rely on him. Another DE/DT pass rusher is a different story.

Despite the drops and other issues, probably 30 teams in the league would love to swap WR rooms with us. It's not if we can get it in gear, it's when.

5 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Omenihu is the missing ingredient in this defense.

I think missing Bolton is huge as well.  I like what Tranquil brings in the middle but Nick’s a different cat back there.  Just gives us more flexibility.

Not defense, but our tackles are very bad.  I don’t see any way that’s not the top need going forward. Don’t get me wrong I love that we drafted FAU because we have a pair of young DEs going forward, but we need help.  Wonder if Cincy wants to get rid of Baby Zeus yet?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

That Watson sideline catch: I would have turned it over.
That other catch & non-fumble (was it Kelce?): edgy ...
Didn't have a chance to check that final OPI/NOPI thingy as my stream crashed. But taking of the helmet after that is just stupid.

Eh Watson dragged the toe, clear black pellets flying on the drag. But that was close

Kelce definitely caught that one though 

taking off the helmet was extremely stupid I agree. 

hopefully Omenihu provides that spark, I’ll give it to Spagz though he knows how to dial up unblocked pressure better than anybody in the business. 

• Like 2