Let's talk Bryce Young

notthatbluestuff

2 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

So your position is simply that it's too soon to decide on Young, nothing to discuss. A little milquetoast for Football's Future, but okay.

The question of Stroud's quick success versus Young's initial struggles seems like a valid discussion topic to me. I guess it's just all those weapons Stroud has that Young doesn't, thread closed.

It’s not an asinine discussion topic when looking at it as just that. It’s an asinine discussion topic four weeks into the season…

10 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

At what point will it be okay to compare and contrast rookie QBs from the same draft class?

Probably at the conclusion of said rookie season? It's not even about the debate 4 weeks in, it's those of you pumping your chest with a  definitive,  see I was right, he sucks , CJ should of been #1 instead remarks after 4 friggen games. 

That's the issue.

Are you ready to make the argument as well that CJ Stroud might be the best QB to come out in the past 25 years, becuase the numbers he's put up his first 4 NFL games suggest he's in that category? 

I sure hope not or that too would be just as asinine. 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

Probably at the conclusion of said rookie season? It's not even about the debate 4 weeks in, it's those of you pumping your chest with a  definitive,  see I was right, he sucks , he should of been #1 instead remarks after 4 friggen games. 

That's the issue.

Are you ready to make the argument as well that CJ Stroud might be the best QB to come out in the past 25 years, becuase the numbers he's put up his first 4 NFL games suggest he's in that category? 

I sure hope not or that too would be asinine. 

Wtf? Have you read the OP? When have I said any of this?

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

Does the words "those of You" apply to you? I didn't say notthatbluestuff?

When you quote someone directly and say "those of you" it does suggest that you're including me among "those", yes. Then you follow by asking: "are you ready to make the argument..."

Or was that not to "me" either?

59 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

That's fair. I just find it funny how most people had Stroud in a terrible situation in terms of OL, receivers, total unknown at OC (albeit a Shanny disciple) etc. Now Stroud is balling and all of a sudden he has legit weapons. Not that you're saying that specifically but I do think that truly high-level QBs can elevate the talent of their supporting cast.

I always thought Stroud had a better WR Corp, Texans had a ton of potential with their weapons out wide. Now they’ve got a QB to activate them.

1 minute ago, notthatbluestuff said:

When you quote someone directly and say "those of you" it does suggest that you're including me among "those", yes. Then you follow by asking: "are you ready to make the argument..."

Or was that not to "me" either?

You asked the specific question that needed to be answered!

The 2nd part was most definitely directed towards You. Why I said "Are you ready"?

You've done nothing but suggest CJ has enhanced the overall play of the Scrubs he's working with in Houston. Yet the Scrubs in Carolina are not because of Young. 

"Are you ready" after 4 games to put CJ in that category? If the answer is No for You or anyone else neither should anyone be suggesting Young is a bust after 4 games. That's all, not rocket science. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

So they are not a power run first football team or at least want to be?  Because they are and they are clearly not very passer friendly.  If they do not run play action it is because Bryce and his skill set not because they do not want to.  They want to run the ball but just because you want to does not mean you can do it well especially with that OL.  

I get what you are saying, and I agree with a lot of it...but you can't say the offense isn't built for him because they want to be run heavy and use play action if they aren't actually running the offense that way. If Bryce's skill set doesn't align with playing through play action, and they aren't running playaction, than I don't care if thats what they want to do. They aren't doing it, so it has no bearing on Bryce young and that is not a reason for his struggles. 

"Power run" is just a run style philosophy, so I'm not sure that matters in and of itself. I mean, if Young can play QB in a zone run scheme but can't play it in a power gap scheme, that's just weird. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you are saying there, but this really shouldn't be a big deal either way. 

Now, we can definitely have a talk about the run first philosophy, but must admit that's possibly a chicken / egg thing because that could definitely be something Reich is doing because of Young. Historically, Reich has been roughly middle of the pack in terms of neutral pass rate after getting hired with the colts. He was super pass heavy in 2018, super run heavy in 2019, and then hovered around average after that. Right now, Carolina is very run heavy in neutral situations which is leading to higher volumes for Young in less than optimal known passing situations. So while he's getting the volume passing that you indicated he needs, it's not in beneficial situations. I think that is a 100% fair argument to make if you're really going to nail it down, with the caveat that we don't really know why Reich is doing that. I also agree that just in terms of the roster construction and team build, it's absolutely not a passer friendly situation. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

You asked the specific question that needed to be answered!

The 2nd part was most definitely directed towards You. Why I said "Are you ready"?

You've done nothing but suggest CJ has enhanced the overall play of the Scrubs he's working with in Houston. Yet the Scrubs in Carolina are not because of Young. 

"Are you ready" after 4 games to put CJ in that category? If the answer is No for You or anyone else neither should anyone be suggesting Young is a bust after 4 games. That's all, not rocket science. 

So the answer to a "specific question" was definitely directed to me, then the next part wasn't, then the part after that was. Just admit you goofed by lumping me in with another group of people based on your mistaken impression of my opinion about Young. 

Your question about Stroud is completely irrelevant because the thread isn't suggesting Young is a bust.