Let's talk Bryce Young

notthatbluestuff

2 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

People fell in love with his mild mannered and humble personality. They do that a lot. Teddy Bridgewater was another great example of that. He could still work out but other than the ability to extend plays and they say he’s really smart, I never saw it. It’s really really hard for small QBs to make it and he doesn’t have an elite arm or elite speed to compensate for it.

Said it during draft time, Young being sold as the best QB in the draft because of his 'traits' and leadership qualities was beyond idiotic. It was asinine then and it is still true to this day.

4 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Stafford got Kenny Gollady paid so you know...

I know, right? Crazy how so much can change in 2 years, but that's how it goes with aging QB's not named Tom Brady. One day your at the peak, the next day you're on a steep and steady decline.

Edited by Jeezla

Early thoughts about Bryce Young is that I think he is having his hand held a little by his offensive play calling, his line is playing poorly despite having invested resources in them, and his weapons are eh.. Thielen is old but still reliable, Mingo is a rookie and Chark is either injured and/or forgot how to be a Pro Bowler.

I think what's more concerning is this - what is the Panthers path to getting better? Do you trust their GM to draft well? They also don't have a first round pick. They will have some cap space, but also have to resign some of their own free agents.

Just a brutal situation to be in at the moment.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Early thoughts about Bryce Young is that I think he is having his hand held a little by his offensive play calling, his line is playing poorly despite having invested resources in them, and his weapons are eh.. Thielen is old but still reliable, Mingo is a rookie and Chark is either injured and/or forgot how to be a Pro Bowler.

I think what's more concerning is this - what is the Panthers path to getting better? Do you trust their GM to draft well? They also don't have a first round pick. They will have some cap space, but also have to resign some of their own free agents.

Panthers nee to trade Brian Burns for Tee Higgins or DK, or figure out some other way to get a very good WR. I'd trade Chinn and Donte too, try to get enough "draft capital" to get Brock Bowers or another good WR prospect in addition to whichever one I can get in a Burns trade. Obviously they should sign the best OL they can get their hands on in free agency as well. They are pretty screwed until the offseason though, outside of trading Burns for a WR prior to the deadline.

Edited by Jeezla

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

If one put CJ Stroud on the Panthers with that offense and Bryce Young with WRs Nico Collins, Tank Dell, Robert Woods, Metchie and Schultz at TE I think Young would be doing better as well with those weapons.  

This is some eagle eyed hindsight right here. I'm positive in saying NOBODY said this immediately after the draft. I'm pretty certain the majority of people never heard of Nico Collins until the past month.

Assuming the same team that "gave Arizona a top 3 pick" suddenly has weapons that another QB could use effectively is the height of hindsight.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, General Tso said:

There isn't one. This is what happens when you give up resources like this. The only hope they have is that Young is a transcendent talent that improves everyone around him. 

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is some eagle eyed hindsight right here. I'm positive in saying NOBODY said this immediately after the draft. I'm pretty certain the majority of people never heard of Nico Collins until the past month.

Assuming the same team that "gave Arizona a top 3 pick" suddenly has weapons that another QB could use effectively is the height of hindsight.

Most of this forum that follows the draft knew who Nico Collins was.

15 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Nico Collins was good last year and was good the year before as well.  Shenault I have always disliked and he is just a RB who cannot play RB but also cannot play WR and people overhyped him coming out of Colorado and even then he got hurt constantly and still does.  Marshall is just eh, same with Chark and Thielen is the only guy holding that group together.  

Nico Collins was super talented on Michigan but under the radar no question a bit.  Has clearly taken his game to another level and has about as many yards now as he did last year and the year before.  Was not awful though as a rookie or last year, impressed then I thought.

And Tank Dell was a dude on Houston in college and has carried that into the NFL providing a much needed third option.  And the Texans OL, sure is nothing great but I had them as one of the best and deepest preseason this year and that was before they added Josh Jones who provides even more depth and so does Kendrick Green before he got hurt.  Still for them to withstand the massive injuries they have had on the OL is impressive and that depth is no question showing up.  Lost Kenyon Green, Tunsil, Howard, Scruggs even....Few if any teams could withstand those massive losses.  Is Patterson still starting at center or have they replaced him?  Even he is super talented I feel and pretty underrated and has great versatility.  

Still to me that is a better situation for a passing QB than Carolina.

45 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Nope.

Texans stacked. 

Stroud system-QB.

* -I know Ozzy wasn't really saying this, just stretchin for the joke

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 1

He’s 4 games into his rookie season on a team with bad WRs, a bad OL, a bad run game, and a bad defense. 

Yeah, I think I’ll preach patience here…

Only thing too concerning is that he’s already out there getting dinged up.

• Like 2

Much easier for a QB to pass when they 6’2” or taller, preferably 6’3”. Under 6’2” and they struggle with seeing the entire field. One of the many reasons I can see Drake Maye having a better career than Caleb Williams. Caleb is 6 foot and 1/2 inch. Maye is 7’3” and the best technical pure passer since Burrow, although Stroud is right there too. 

25 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Much easier for a QB to pass when they 6’2” or taller, preferably 6’3”. Under 6’2” and they struggle with seeing the entire field. One of the many reasons I can see Drake Maye having a better career than Caleb Williams. Caleb is 6 foot and 1/2 inch. Maye is 7’3” and the best technical pure passer since Burrow, although Stroud is right there too. 

7’3”? Damn, he should be playing basketball.