GDT: The Play Caller Bowl! The Killer Kellen Moores vs. The Mighty Mike McCarthys

DaBoys

12 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

True, but a very unfortunate/ unlucky set of circumstances regardless. 

They beat Purdy up and knocked him out of the game. We had the same opportunity and didn’t do that. 

The bottom line is this. We haven’t made a conference championship in over 25 years. Since we drafted Zeke and Dak in 2016 and the current era of the Cowboys began, the Eagles have gone all the way to the superbowl TWICE.

And they did it with 2(3 really) different QBs, and two different head coaches. In fact they did it with two completely different rosters. That’s not hyperbole. Only 7 players on the 2017 team were on the team last year. They are the defending division champions, and went to the superbowl as recently as the last time they had the chance. They are currently sitting atop the division and are objectively doing better than us so far this year. The NFL wins they have, being a little sloppy this year, doesn’t change that. 

In what world are we in the same tier? Other than Im a Cowboys fan and I hate the Eagles. 

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Since we drafted Zeke and Dak in 2016 and the current era of the Cowboys began, the Eagles have gone all the way to the superbowl TWICE

The biggest difference man, is coaching

The talent on both teams is pretty comparable. I mean, Lamb and CO are... We sure don't THAT kind of group at receivers I'll say. But quality of OL is comparable. Depth at DL, comparable. Secondary, both formidable. Running game, Hurts gives them an edge but overall their commitment to multiple backs has been effective while Dallas has maintained a steady dose of lead back supplemented with change of pace. But, comparable.

QB wise, I don't see hurts all that ahead of Dak as a passer. Hurts ability to grind in the run game is stellar so I'd pick him as the leg up but still, I'd say, comparable 

Different really has been coaches. Sirianni is a hell of a strategist and his gameplans are too notch every week. And good coaches hire a good staff, and he seems he and Pederson both have done that, with many of their assistants getting promotions all over the NFL and even in college and still having success at their job. 

Not to mention their draft strategy should be the envy of the league. You never ever ever ever ever (EVER!) see them break from their strategy and draft a player of need. Just paid Wentz a fortune? Who scares. hurts has a first round grade, scoop him up in round 2. Stacked in the DL? Who cares, Jalen Carter should have been a top 3, 4 or 5 pick arguably one of.the top 2 or 3 kids in the draft. Etc

They let the board roll on and they trust that their scouts, director of scouting, and player personnel people have scouted, vetted and done their job well enough to assemble their board as accurately as possible and they just don't deviate from it. Even if it means they leave the draft without locking in a guy from their biggest position of need. If the need was that great, they will just make a move to trade for a bandaid solution or make a blockbuster move to bring in someone like Slay if possible. They'd rather go into the new season without answering the biggest need in the team but have brought in the best damn football players they could and figure the rest out later.

The Eagles are the prime example of how to do things correctly. Screw coaching trees and big names. Who cares if they were calling plays or developing guys. Find a leader of young men with a clear cut strategy in their mind of they want to win, who has assisted in creating successful gameplans and allows him to hire the staff he needs to support his strategy and ideals. Then just keep giving him the best FOOTBALL PLAYERS you can. If You hired well - and they do - they will have a network already of guys to call on to join their staff and help do what they do. 

It's a successful model no different than when they went to four straight NFC title games with Reid. And they learned their lesson quickly with Chip Kelly that hiring a strategist alone isn't enough. It needs to be a strategist AND a leader that makes MEN want to follow what he says. Kelly was not the leader in any room he would have stepped into with those players. And that's why he started doing all those crazy moves with McCoy and the like. 

Lesson learned and right back to their winning formula.

Hate to say it, but I am jealous of the Eagles for doing it this effectively.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

6 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I will say again that I DO think we can beat the Eagles. I’m just not scared of them because they are an East team. But I think it’s unquestionable that they do better against the other 30 teams than we do. 

Agreed. Philly doesn’t concern me like SF does when/if the time comes.

• Like 2

Random question: Would you guys trade Dak for Hurts? I was having this debate today with on of my coworkers. Everything transfers. Contract, skill, age, etc.

I really don't know if I would. While I think the Eagles franchise has been better than us overall the best 5-10 years, I really think Jalen is Dak 2.0, but less accurate with his deep ball. His success in Philly is because of their insanely good supporting cast around him. If you swap the two, I bet Dak is listed as a top 5-10 QB no doubt.

10 hours ago, DaBoys said:

They beat Purdy up and knocked him out of the game. We had the same opportunity and didn’t do that. 

The bottom line is this. We haven’t made a conference championship in over 25 years. Since we drafted Zeke and Dak in 2016 and the current era of the Cowboys began, the Eagles have gone all the way to the superbowl TWICE.

And they did it with 2(3 really) different QBs, and two different head coaches. In fact they did it with two completely different rosters. That’s not hyperbole. Only 7 players on the 2017 team were on the team last year. They are the defending division champions, and went to the superbowl as recently as the last time they had the chance. They are currently sitting atop the division and are objectively doing better than us so far this year. The NFL wins they have, being a little sloppy this year, doesn’t change that. 

In what world are we in the same tier? Other than Im a Cowboys fan and I hate the Eagles. 

What has happened in the distant past doesn’t have much to do with the here and now, though. Their SB win with Foles isn’t really in play when looking at how good their team is right now. Purdy coming down with an unlucky injury is just that.. unlucky. 

I personally have us even with Eagles.  I see us with the better (barely) QB. Eagles have the better bail out WR in Brown who can do more with less then what we have in our team. Eagles also have a steadier more reliable D than we do.  I like our OL better but not if we see the SD performance going forward. We had a huge mismatch in secondary safety area until the Diggs injury.  Still I see is slightly ahead

IMO I refuse to give Eagles any credit for Purdy injury.  That was just their good luck versus us having bad luck the Pollard injury. 

22 hours ago, quiller said:

I personally have us even with Eagles.  I see us with the better (barely) QB. Eagles have the better bail out WR in Brown who can do more with less then what we have in our team. Eagles also have a steadier more reliable D than we do.  I like our OL better but not if we see the SD performance going forward. We had a huge mismatch in secondary safety area until the Diggs injury.  Still I see is slightly ahead

IMO I refuse to give Eagles any credit for Purdy injury.  That was just their good luck versus us having bad luck the Pollard injury. 

I genuinely feel like Hurts would be considered mediocre at best without AJ Brown. Every big pass I see him make is him just throwing the ball up and AJ Brown making a play on the ball. Negative QB Skill, Positive WR Skill. I mean, guess credit to him for knowing his weapons, but Dak could easily do that too if he had someone as talented as Brown.

But also, Eagles O line is a generational type talent. No way we're as good at them.

12 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

I genuinely feel like Hurts would be considered mediocre at best without AJ Brown. Every big pass I see him make is him just throwing the ball up and AJ Brown making a play on the ball. Negative QB Skill, Positive WR Skill. I mean, guess credit to him for knowing his weapons, but Dak could easily do that too if he had someone as talented as Brown.

But also, Eagles O line is a generational type talent. No way we're as good at them.

Dak hastened the end of Dez Bryants career because he doesn’t like throwing to covered WRs who win contested catches. That spawned the term “Dak friendly WRs.” We brought in Cooper who is known for route running and separation and CD Lamb. Also, Hurts is doing things in tonight’s game that Dak simply can’t do. They aren’t on the same level athletically. 

On 10/22/2023 at 5:47 AM, elevators_rule said:

While I agree with every thing you say except in a way the last line.  It has been pointed out that Hurtz is indeed better the. Dak at being creative when the pocket implodes but I also put a lot of that as well to coaching and having players in position to help bail out the QB.
about the eagles a better team right now I would say yes barely just based on the Diggs injury and the missing LVE.  
also I am expecting us to have a “healthy” OLine as well.  Something that had been missing late season for us for years 

19 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Dak hastened the end of Dez Bryants career because he doesn’t like throwing to covered WRs who win contested catches. That spawned the term “Dak friendly WRs.” We brought in Cooper who is known for route running and separation and CD Lamb. Also, Hurts is doing things in tonight’s game that Dak simply can’t do. They aren’t on the same level athletically. 

Hurts has two things Dak doesn't have. A GM that will try and go out and get the weapons necessary to help his QB out, and a coach who can draw up schemes to put his players in the best position to succeed. 

1 hour ago, D82 said:

Hurts has two things Dak doesn't have. A GM that will try and go out and get the weapons necessary to help his QB out, and a coach who can draw up schemes to put his players in the best position to succeed. 

You have to include athletic ability as well. Not saying Dak is a statute. He can move a little, but Hurts is an actual athletic weapon  with the ball in his hands. One ran a 4.79 the other was a 4.59. One had a 10’5” broad jump the other didn’t hit the 10 mark. Not only does the eye test tell you Hurts is a more dynamic athlete with the ball in his hands but the measurables and production back it up. You can argue who has the better arm. Hurts does have some ugly hail mary attempts on tape, but you can’t argue who is the better athlete. Its Hurts by a mile. The arm might be Dak by a hair. If at all. 

Edited by DaBoys