Jared Goff's Future

Sllim Pickens

As happy as I am that Ben Johnson is coming back, it really muddies the waters regarding my plans for extending Goff. I wanted to see Goff play for a season without Johnson to see if we'd get the current Goff or something closer to the Anthony Lynn coached Goff. 

I'd be on board with extending him to the type of contract @Karnage84 laid out, but I wouldn't want to reset the QB market for him. 

• Like 3

I’d extend him for 3 years ($125 million) but I’d be hesitant to sign a full 5-6 year ($250-300 million) contract. Just because the Giants were stupid and paid Daniel Jones all that money doesn’t mean all other teams have to fall in line. 

4 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I’d extend him for 3 years ($125 million) but I’d be hesitant to sign a full 5-6 year ($250-300 million) contract. Just because the Giants were stupid and paid Daniel Jones all that money doesn’t mean all other teams have to fall in line. 

Good points.

But I keep hearing this whole whack narrative of fans wanting to see what he does without Ben. That's insane. He has already proven himself without Ben and actually had better seasons previously compared to what he's done under Ben.

His two best years were in LA

Hes proven he's worth more than Mayfield who's going to get 45-50

This whole wanna see him without Ben is totally misguided and honestly absurd 

2 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Good points.

But I keep hearing this whole whack narrative of fans wanting to see what he does without Ben. That's insane. He has already proven himself without Ben and actually had better seasons previously compared to what he's done under Ben.

His two best years were in LA

Hes proven he's worth more than Mayfield who's going to get 45-50

This whole wanna see him without Ben is totally misguided and honestly absurd 

Who was his coach in LA? Isn't that guy kinda regarded as a proven offensive mind?

On 1/30/2024 at 5:07 PM, Karnage84 said:

Baker is in line for a $45M+ contract of his own. Whether that's from Tampa or somewhere else. 

So why bring him into an offense that he's unfamiliar with for basically the same money?

I didn't say sign Baker. I'm just saying I don't think it takes much to be successful in this offense. Just like I don't think it makes a difference in SF offense. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 8:37 PM, Jameson_Neat said:

Yes, let's play it out so it gets even more expensive. Seriously, why pay a 30 year old with multiple high level years when you can pay a 28 year old with one or possibly even none? Imagine the discount. 

more speed at QB! 

I'm not saying we need a guy who can rush for 100 yards a game. But it would be nice if we could have a QB that knows how to avoid pressure because we all know when pressure finally hits Goff, the play is toast. He can't extend plays and how long do you think we'll be able to keep up this elite OL play? Because that's the only reason we're talking about giving 50M a year to Goff. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HashtagFTW said:

I'm not saying we need a guy who can rush for 100 yards a game. But it would be nice if we could have a QB that knows how to avoid pressure because we all know when pressure finally hits Goff, the play is toast. He can't extend plays and how long do you think we'll be able to keep up this elite OL play? Because that's the only reason we're talking about giving 50M a year to Goff. 

*Hendon Hooker enters the chat*

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

All this Hooker talk baffles me. He's not much younger than Goff and has not proved anything at NFL level: 

Which is why we should see what he can do at this level. This was Loves first season playing, despite how long ago he was drafted and he’s only 10 months younger than Hendon. 

6 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Which is why we should see what he can do at this level. This was Loves first season playing, despite how long ago he was drafted and he’s only 10 months younger than Hendon. 

The Lions window is maybe 3 years: I'm not wasting it seeing if Hooker can play.

Resign Goff and fully utilize this window 

8 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

How can a playoff contender get a chance to "see" what a backup can do outside of a preseason game?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, General Tso said:

How can a playoff contender get a chance to "see" what a backup can do outside of a preseason game?

Right. Let's not resign a proven QB in a small playoff window but see what an older qb to never take a snap has 

As a Packer fan who watched them sit Rodgers for 3 years, then Love, it works. Allowing Hooker to sit another year and learn is not a bad idea. If Goff gets you to a Super Bowl next year, extend him. If he plays well, and organization isn't seeing it with Hooker, extend Goff then. 

I think this whole, "window," stuff is bull crap. Your window is as long as you have a talented roster and a decent QB. Margin for error is a lot smaller when your QB is eating up a ton of cap space though. 

• Like 1