State of Titans convo: Non-game specific

deeluxx3

I believe it that Amy and the FO want to keep Vrabel around and plan for him to be our coach long term right now, but we still have 7 games left this season... If we lose to the Panthers and look utterly lifeless the rest of the season much like we have the last few weeks, I think everything is going to be on the table. Amy and Ran will probably want Vrabel to make some staff changes that he could potentially balk on which would open up the door for a different conversation. Vrabel knows he has leverage in this whole situation too... He's still a very respected coach in league circles, and I'm sure he's aware that if the front office isn't aligning with his line of thinking he will more than likely be able to get another head coaching job somewhere else that would allow him to build a team in his vision. 

I think there's more intricacies in this situation because of Vrabel's past success here and overall respect throughout the league than a lot of other coaches that are on the hot seat. We could want to keep him long term and still have a couple conditions that he needs to meet with the coaching staff that he doesn't agree with. Similar to how things unraveled with Mularkey at the helm. With the biggest difference being, Vrabel knows he wouldn't be out of work long if we did ultimately decide to go in a different direction. So just as much as it's ultimately Amy's decision, I think Vrabel is aware of his value throughout the league which could make for an interesting dynamic at the end of the year between him and the front office.

Edited by SerenityNow

9 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

I feel like Vrabel ultimately makes the right decisions, he just takes a bit longer than we would like to get there...

tbh, i have no problem with waiting this long on duncan. he’s an unusually high-ceiling prospect for a 6th round tackle….but he also fell to the 6th round for a reason lol. trying to get anything at all out of dillard is more defensible to me than, say, sticking with daley as long as they did last year.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

not especially optimistic about the on-field result, but clearly the correct decision.

Love it. I'm actually really interested to see how the left side looks with Duncan over there hopefully the rest of the year. We need to see if we have anything to build around at tackle heading into next year. Could give us some more options heading into draft season if Duncan actually plays well.

If Duncan turns into a pro bowl LT as a 6th rounder, I’m gonna tell myself that’ll undo the following horrific things we did

-draft wilson

-draft farley

-draft Radunz 

-trade aj

-trade for daley

-sign Dillard 

-draft Burks 

-rush Succop back from injury 

etc etc!

Edited by deeluxx3

43 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

If Duncan turns into a pro bowl LT as a 6th rounder, I’m gonna tell myself that’ll undo the following horrific things we did

-draft wilson

-draft farley

-draft Radunz 

-trade aj

-trade for daley

-sign Dillard 

-draft Burks 

-rush Succop back from injury 

etc etc!

man…….i legit forgot we traded *for* daley. unreal lol

Curious, what level of play will Duncan have to show these final 7 games to make it so LT wouldn't be as pressing a need. Would looking like a promising longterm LT, while still having his ups and downs be enough to avoid one of the top LTs in this upcoming draft?

I guess the fact we need help at both tackles spots makes the decison easier, whether he's good or bad.

32 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Curious, what level of play will Duncan have to show these final 7 games to make it so LT wouldn't be as pressing a need. Would looking like a promising longterm LT, while still having his ups and downs be enough to avoid one of the top LTs in this upcoming draft?

I guess the fact we need help at both tackles spots makes the decison easier, whether he's good or bad.

yeah, i think if he shows promise and we have one of the blue chip tackles fall into our lap, we absolutely still take them, kick duncan over to the right side, and then hope you've totally solved our tackle woes longterm. 

3 hours ago, -Hope- said:

yeah, i think if he shows promise and we have one of the blue chip tackles fall into our lap, we absolutely still take them, kick duncan over to the right side, and then hope you've totally solved our tackle woes longterm. 

Dream scenario:
Duncan shows the same promise as Levis as LT. Has some great moments with some rookie mistakes, but shows he's worth building with,  Then draft a better prospect at RT in the later rounds, while spending some money on a starter quality in FA.  Using the first and second round pick on truly BPA, or taking the best WR and CB.

Likely scenario: 
Duncan shows some skills but ultimately nothing that says he is a future starter. Maybe can play RT or compete for RT and we continue as planned with the best WR/OT in the first and 2nd rounds. 

• Like 1

Wouldn't be totally shocked if the plan next year is to bring Hubbard back(assuming his rehab/etc goes well) since he was solid in our system this year and delay having to draft a RT as well as a LT in this draft.

We have needs at so many positions that trying to fill them all in one off season likely isn't going to happen, and guys like Hubbard who can hold off the need at RT for a year or two would help.

13 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Wouldn't be totally shocked if the plan next year is to bring Hubbard back(assuming his rehab/etc goes well) since he was solid in our system this year and delay having to draft a RT as well as a LT in this draft.

We have needs at so many positions that trying to fill them all in one off season likely isn't going to happen, and guys like Hubbard who can hold off the need at RT for a year or two would help.

We have a lot of needs but a couple could be filled and make all the difference. 

Along with SMB and McCreary, a good corner would make all the difference. Along with a serviceable LT. 

Then finally another threat at WR. 

I think if we had the first two this year we win maybe 2 more games. Think of all the backbreaking 3rd down conversions. 

Or 

All the sacks from the left side. 

While not getting starters at every need position. We most definitely should be able to get 3-4 in free agency/draft. If we choose correctly. 

Then we go from a 3 win team to 6 win team currently.