State of Titans convo: Non-game specific

deeluxx3

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, when the QB is a question mark, that makes it pretty hard to nail down.

Personally, I hope Levis struggles for the first half then turns it on late so we still get a good draft pick to get a stud Edge rusher.

Yep, if the Callahan/Levis marriage clicks immediately like say McVay/Goff, we could easily be the surprise team of the league and a playoff contender. If not, we could be looking at another top 5-10 pick and in a position of asking ourselves if Callahan has to draft/trade for his guy like Stafford for the McVay.

Me personally, I hope Levis balls out from day one so it puts to rest any QB concerns that linger.

44 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Yep, if the Callahan/Levis marriage clicks immediately like say McVay/Goff, we could easily be the surprise team of the league and a playoff contender. If not, we could be looking at another top 5-10 pick and in a position of asking ourselves if Callahan has to draft/trade for his guy like Stafford for the McVay.

Me personally, I hope Levis balls out from day one so it puts to rest any QB concerns that linger.

That would be great, and probably the best realistic outcome, I'm just looking at James Pearce and trying to have my cake and eat it too.

14 minutes ago, Daniel said:

That would be great, and probably the best realistic outcome, I'm just looking at James Pearce and trying to have my cake and eat it too.

watch the james pearce vs jc latham tape and you'll feel better. ;)

48 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Not to delve into the 2025 class too much but what gives me peace of mind is that next year’s class looks like it’ll be deep at edge rusher. So even if we aren’t high enough to get a guy like Pearce, we could still get a high end talent.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

Great read from Albert Breer w/ Cally+Levis

https://www.si.com/nfl/inside-the-education-titans-will-levis

the stuff from cally about not going through a charade of making young guys "earn it" if they're high draft picks you know you're going to have to count on is fascinating. that's practically sacrilege among old-school Football Guys. stood out as another example that he's definitely part of a different generation of coaches, for better or worse.

i'm actually pretty surprised at just how open he's been about pushing all his chips in for levis. like, obviously a coach is going to want to publicly voice confidence in his young QB but you can't get this guy to shut up about him lol. the belief feels genuine.

Edited by -Hope-

9 hours ago, -Hope- said:

the stuff from cally about not going through a charade of making young guys "earn it" if they're high draft picks you know you're going to have to count on is fascinating. that's practically sacrilege among old-school Football Guys. stood out as another example that he's definitely part of a different generation of coaches, for better or worse.

i'm actually pretty surprised at just how open he's been about pushing all his chips in for levis. like, obviously a coach is going to want to publicly voice confidence in his young QB but you can't get this guy to shut up about him lol. the belief feels genuine.

Cally is extremely vocal about his affinity for Levis, but I think it's genuine as well

I'm trying to think objectively about Levis...I know the raw numbers weren't there and he was very reckless with his body and the ball a lot last year (and I know surrounding talent played a part in that)

But I just don't see how his floor is anything lower than like top 15 QB, with a ceiling much higher. What doesn't the guy have right now that isn't something that he can continue to fine tune through work/practice/reps?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

Cally is extremely vocal about his affinity for Levis, but I think it's genuine as well

I'm trying to think objectively about Levis...I know the raw numbers weren't there and he was very reckless with his body and the ball a lot last year (and I know surrounding talent played a part in that)

But I just don't see how his floor is anything lower than like top 15 QB, with a ceiling much higher. What doesn't the guy have right now that isn't something that he can continue to fine tune through work/practice/reps?

This is where I'm at. 

Physically he can at worst be Jay Cutler.  Add in his desire to be good and what appears to be good coaching, how could he not have a level of success that in the right year could lead to a championship run. 

I see him failing because he can't stay healthy or the team doesn't like his decision making. 

But being healthy is easily attainable with better protection and not trying to run over people.  Decision making comes hopefully with more reps.

But I'm a fan and I really think he can be good. 

Edited by KingTitan
  • Like 1

I think yall need to pump the breaks on Levis's floor being Jay Cutler.  His floor is a lot, lot lower than that, and you're likely just setting yourselves up to be prematurely disappointed when there are inevitable struggles.

But I'm optimistic.  He's shown some flashes, and the Titans did a lot of work to put him in a position to succeed.  Callahan, I think, legitimately believes in Levis or he wouldn't have been very interested in the Titans' job, or wouldn't have done work with Carthon to build around Levis.

But there's still a lot Levis needs to work on.  He's a very inexperienced QB starting with a new offensive system and an entirely different offensive philosophy than he had as a rookie, and he's got what looks like a very tough schedule in the beginning of the season.

I'll be surprised if Levis looks great out the gate.  Too much needs to go right, quickly, for that to happen.  I'm optimistic he'll be looking good by the season's end.

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think yall need to pump the breaks on Levis's floor being Jay Cutler.  His floor is a lot, lot lower than that, and you're likely just setting yourselves up to be prematurely disappointed when there are inevitable struggles.

But I'm optimistic.  He's shown some flashes, and the Titans did a lot of work to put him in a position to succeed.  Callahan, I think, legitimately believes in Levis or he wouldn't have been very interested in the Titans' job, or wouldn't have done work with Carthon to build around Levis.

But there's still a lot Levis needs to work on.  He's a very inexperienced QB starting with a new offensive system and an entirely different offensive philosophy than he had as a rookie, and he's got what looks like a very tough schedule in the beginning of the season.

I'll be surprised if Levis looks great out the gate.  Too much needs to go right, quickly, for that to happen.  I'm optimistic he'll be looking good by the season's end.

I don't think anyone is expecting him to come out the gates looking amazing or anything, but I struggle to see how his floor can be so low. Cutler was a good to very good NFL qb that played a long time...top 10 on his best day for sure. But straight up and down, I just struggle to see a world in which Levis isn't a good to very good NFL qb assuming he continues working his tail off and stays healthy.

• Like 1