Roger Goodell extended

ET80

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

But... is he though? Consumer behavior says otherwise. Ratings are continually rising, merchandise sales are moving in the proper direction, ticket sales continue to grow despite consumer costs growing at an exponential rate - the standard metrics you'd lean on to judge are trending upwards (and he created a rocket ship of a revenue stream by partnering up with gambling/esports to ensure the numbers top off in his favor yearly). For an endeavor that is dictated purely by disposable income, the NFL is GROWING in the midst of a recession. That's unheard of for the most part.

Anecdotally? You're probably correct - the product suffers. Players don't seem as good, refs are more and more egregious with their errors, the product is nowhere near where it used to be - but that's only observable to fans like us, people who have been pouring money into the machine for 20+ years and are now reliant on it like an addict is to their drug. Football is a dopamine hit for us, not even entertainment for the most part. Furthermore, once one of us breaks the cycle, three more people (who play in their office suicide pool and are now taking a dip in office daily fantasy league) join in. 

Roger Goodell is a drug dealer, and a good one at that. His product is crap, he answers to a cartel of billionaires and his product is not really good for long term health for many people - but it supplies a rush to those involved and keeps them hitting that proverbial crack pipe. 

The fact that we got the Super Bowl being played in London actually floated is enough for me to say he suck’s and I don’t even care if that makes me sound like an ignorant American, I’m right.

• Like 3

Just now, ET80 said:

But... is he though?

Yes, his job title is Commissioner but it was originally President, which is basically what he is. He's responsible for the business of the NFL, that includes negotiating labor deals with the NFLPA, game scheduling, marketing, rules, league image, everything that you would expect a normal CEO to be in charge of. When Facebook won't load, it's a Mark Zuckerberg problem. When Tesla quality standards drop, it's an Elon Musk problem. Why would NFL product quality not be a Goodell problem?

I get what you mean is, "these cheapskate owners only care about money" - agreed. But them judging Goodell's job as an investment broker for the pile of money they spent on the team doesn't change what his responsibilities actually are. It just proves they're bad owners.

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Ratings are continually rising, merchandise sales are moving in the proper direction, ticket sales continue to grow despite consumer costs growing at an exponential rate - the standard metrics you'd lean on to judge are trending upwards (and he created a rocket ship of a revenue stream by partnering up with gambling/esports to ensure the numbers top off in his favor yearly). For an endeavor that is dictated purely by disposable income, the NFL is GROWING in the midst of a recession. That's unheard of for the most part.

On 10/18/2023 at 11:16 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Because sports is still a live TV product, and that's only more valuable since most other media has been getting hammered by the internet over the past decade. The results are good, but he's still wildly incompetent.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Anecdotally? You're probably correct - the product suffers. Players don't seem as good, refs are more and more egregious with their errors, the product is nowhere near where it used to be - but that's only observable to fans like us, people who have been pouring money into the machine for 20+ years and are now reliant on it like an addict is to their drug. Football is a dopamine hit for us, not even entertainment for the most part. Furthermore, once one of us breaks the cycl, three more people (who play in their office suicide pool and are now taking a dip in office daily fantasy league) join in. 

Roger Goodell is a drug dealer, and a good one at that. His product is crap, he answers to a cartel of billionaires and his product is not really good for long term health for many people - but it supplies a rush to those involved and keeps them hitting that proverbial crack pipe. 

The big thing I would give him real credit for is being a relatively early integrator of sports gambling, which is the next way to extract money out of his market. For all the talk of ratings, what has the NFL done to expand it's market share other than benefit from the declining market around it? Their marketing to women has been "hey we heard you're big into breast cancer" and that's about it. Are we really giving him credit for slowly, over the course of like 15 years now, moving 1 game a year to Mexico City and 4 games a year to London as international market exposure? Compare that to soccer, or hell even baseball in Japan. When baseball is out marketing you abroad, you have a problem.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Compare that to soccer, or hell even baseball in Japan. When baseball is out marketing you abroad, you have a problem.

Dude I saw Mr Baseball in the 90s and it was an elite sports movie as I remember it.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2023 at 6:54 PM, ET80 said:

But... is he though? Consumer behavior says otherwise. Ratings are continually rising, merchandise sales are moving in the proper direction, ticket sales continue to grow despite consumer costs growing at an exponential rate - the standard metrics you'd lean on to judge are trending upwards

Yeah but would most other CEOs do significantly worse? I think personally the NFL and the history of the league carries itself. The owners are all just a bunch of multi-generational nepo babies with a business that can't fail.

By making the league an offensive league he’s drawn in millions to the sport and has made the players and owners way more money. One thing I don’t like about him is how he swept Spygate under the rug and nobody thought it was a big deal. This was to maintain the league’s integrity and business image (which was the correct move, just pains me to say it). Years later it was revealed how much more serious Spygate actually was. It was Houston Astro level cheating and was going on the entire Bellichick era. They knew what offenses were calling a vast majority of the time and would record teams walkthroughs the day before which featured their gameplan. Cue angry Pat fan replies… don’t care. 

A lot of those three first Super Bowls were Bellichick/Spygate with an assist of an amazing QB named Tom Brady. The final three SB’s were Brady just being the GOAT. 

Edited by Tank4Drake

8 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Yeah but would most other CEOs do significantly worse? I think personally the NFL and the history of the league carries itself. The owners are all just a bunch of multi-generational nepo babies with a business that can't fail.

We've had 3 Commissioner's over the past 63 years. How do you know any CEO would be just as profitable?

It's like suggesting any Tom, D!ck or Harry could be CEO of say Amazon,  Nike, Google?  Multi-billion companies are ran by intelligent,  capable individuals. 

Like him as a person or not, Goodell is that and some. The NFL has never been this prosperous and it's occurred under his watch. Not giving him credit is absurd.

Edited by Nabbs4u

16 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

We've had 3 Commissioner's over the past 63 years. How do you know any CEO would be just as profitable?

It's like suggesting any Tom, D!ck or Harry could be CEO of say Amazon,  Nike, Google?  Multi-billion companies are ran by intelligent,  capable individuals. 

Like him as a person or not, Goodell is that and some. The NFL has never been this prosperous and it's occurred under his watch. Not giving him credit is absurd.

Steve Jobs died and apple never took a loss, these guys are all replaceable.