The MVP race

Steelersfan43

Just now, Forge said:

I said yesterday that I don't believe he has a real shot to win it. Too many people who think that he's a replaceable NPC. 

His numbers pretty much dictate that he should be in the conversation though. The dude is averaging 9.9 yards per attempt. Absolutely bonkers. 

Yeah his numbers are insane from an efficiency standpoint, which is almost why I feel like the context surrounding his situation is needed more than ever with how much they run the ball and the season that CMC is having.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah his numbers are insane from an efficiency standpoint, which is almost why I feel like the context surrounding his situation is needed more than ever with how much they run the ball and the season that CMC is having.

Part of the run game usage is because they are blowing most teams out. They have won one game by single digits, and it was the Rams who kicked a meaningless field goal as time expired. They are 12th in the league in neutral situation pass frequency. They are a passing team right now, which is something that people have been slow to turn around on. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Lamar Jackson: Counting stats are lacking. Only 21 TDs on the year but he's led Ravens to #1 seed in the AFC with the worst supporting cast of any of the other current MVP candidates. 

Agree, the stats are a prohibitive blocker for him being in contention. The "value" he is adding, how the offense is producing given surroundings, is absolutely up there with anyone. But, he'd need something like 14 touchdowns over the last 4 games and securing the 1 seed to be the top QB for the award with Purdy and Dak's seasons and stats. That's how this works.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Agree, the stats are a prohibitive blocker for him being in contention. The "value" he is adding, how the offense is producing given surroundings, is absolutely up there with anyone. But, he'd need something like 14 touchdowns over the last 4 games and securing the 1 seed to be the top QB for the award with Purdy and Dak's seasons and stats. That's how this works.

But if Lamar goes to SF on Monday night and beats 49ers while playing great on the way to the 1 seed, that H2H might vault Lamar above Purdy despite the lacking stats. The narrative can trump the stats.  

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Does anyone actually believe Purdy is going to win MVP? All I see on Twitter are Purdy MVP stats, but I still feel like Dak and Lamar are ahead of him. 

When's the last time a QB won an MVP award where his team ran the ball more than they threw it and his RB had a historic year?

After watching last nights game, I have a hard time believing its anybody's award but Dak's. Just my opinion. As long as he doesnt crumble down the stretch, its his.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

After watching last nights game, I have a hard time believing its anybody's award but Dak's. Just my opinion. As long as he doesnt crumble down the stretch, its his.

If his team doesn’t at least win the NFC East I think this will be held against him, though. Same reason why Hurts was ever even in the conversation.. people like to acknowledge the guy with the #1 seed.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I said yesterday that I don't believe he has a real shot to win it. Too many people who think that he's a replaceable NPC. 

His numbers pretty much dictate that he should be in the conversation though. The dude is averaging 9.9 yards per attempt. Absolutely bonkers. 

Regardless of the supporting performances he’s playing for the best team in football right now, the QB of a Super Bowl favorite, playing lights out, and is a big part of his team’s success while also having the best statistical season. I know he has his doubters, but if things continue on their current trajectory I feel that he will win it. I’m not sure that I see Dak getting it if his team finishes as a WC team, despite the fact that he has been stellar. 

Edited by NoFlyZone
  • Like 1

Just now, NoFlyZone said:

Regardless of the supporting performances he’s playing for the best team in football right now, the QB of a Super Bowl favorite, playing lights out, and is a big part of his team’s success while also having the best statistical season. I know he has his doubters, but if things continue on their current trajectory I feel that he will win it. I’m not sure that I see Dak getting it if his team finishes as WC team, despite the fact that he has been stellar. 

I think if the Eagles and Cowboys win out and share a record, I'd still give it to Dak pretty easily and think he would get it (if the play keeps up, obviously). 

Really tough to hold not winning the division against him when it's legit decided by one team losing to an NFC team and the other an AFC team. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I don't think Love being in the conversation is ludicrous, but he also wouldn't be in my top 5.

He has to continue the recent trend for the next 5 games to be in the conversation. He has a path, but it's improbable. Would need a handful of QBs to falter as well unless he REALLY goes off.

It's not impossible that GB wins their final 8 games and the NFC North. If that happens, it's likely Love continues to be a big reason why and gets attention.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He has to continue the recent trend for the next 5 games to be in the conversation. He has a path, but it's improbable. Would need a handful of QBs to falter as well unless he REALLY goes off.

It's not impossible that GB wins their final 8 games and the NFC North. If that happens, it's likely Love continues to be a big reason why and gets attention.

He's just too far back to be a real threat or get real conversation, I think. 

Jalen Hurts will likely pop back into the conversation before Love gets in there, imo. Same for Mahomes and Allen.