The MVP race

Steelersfan43

Purdy is the Jokic of the NFL.

2 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

If we took one player off a team what would cause the biggest impact?

I know that’s not how the award has ever worked, but it’s how it should.

Take the best player on the offense off. CMC for SF. CeeDee for Dallas. Dallas would be more impacted. I like Eli Mitchell and Jordan Mason. Who steps in for Lamb? Turpin? Brooks?

Offensive Tackle? Tyron Smith or Trent Williams? It's gonna be bad if either Edoga or Moore are in there.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

He's got a top 5 dvoa season of all time right now, any/a, yards per attempt, epa and success rate. Those latter two are higher than Manning's were in 2013. 

Now, people can be pshaw those because some of them are "newfangled stats", but they are gaining far greater acceptance in the NFL narrative. The nerds are taking over. 

Should have just dropped a link to Lombardi's twitter feed.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, typecast said:

Purdy is the Jokic of the NFL.

Take the best player on the offense off. CMC for SF. CeeDee for Dallas. Dallas would be more impacted. I like Eli Mitchell and Jordan Mason. Who steps in for Lamb? Turpin? Brooks?

Offensive Tackle? Tyron Smith or Trent Williams? It's gonna be bad if either Edoga or Moore are in there.

Nah Purdy is the Klay Thompson of the NFL.

The LA Lakers Shaq of the NFL.

The Phoenix Suns KD of the NFL.

The Golden State KD of the NFL.

The Brooklyn Nets James Harden of the NFL.

The Phoenix Suns Chris Paul of the NFL.

The Sixers Ben Simmons of the NFL.

Meanwhile, Lamar is the Cleveland Cavs (before they drafted Kyrie) LeBron of the NFL.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

2 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

One of the weirdest argument this season is people talking up Trent Williams.

Dude’s an absolute unit, a wall of an offensive linemen. Elite tackle. Probably a HOFer. Still playing like he’s in his prime. But he’s one guy. One guy does not make an offensive line. Yes, you can run behind that guy, you can afford to chip or slide protection away, and you can see how it’s a snowball effect when he isn’t in the game. But still…one guy. Four other linemen need to do their jobs on every given play. Never has anyone ever thought one linemen makes or breaks an offense…until this season with Trent Williams.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

IDK what the stats say, but Trent is elite and seems like our LG & C are at least average. 

Our RG & RT are bad though. Easily the worst starters on the team. 

Brendel has been brutal bad this year. Substantial regression 

Banks is okay, but has the toe injury

Games with more than 30 pass attempts:

Purdy - 2
Dak - 10
Lamar - 5
Jalen - 9
Mahomes - 11

And out of all those QB's, he has the least amount of rushing attempts by a lot. No one is arguing that he isn't playing great. He is. If you were to sub him out for Darnold, they probably wouldn't be obliterating everyone. But if the question is which QB shoulders the load for their team more - one may define that as "valuable" - Purdy's at the bottom of that list and it's not even close. But I do understand that team wins and stats matter.

So, what will make me shut up about this? Can I just get one win where the team as a whole isn't firing on all cylinders? That may not happen because they have an elite defense, running game, and coaching. Their closest game in a win was vs the Rams when the Rams kicked a field goal at the end of regulation to screw over the gamblers. And in that game, Brock didn't really have to do much (threw for 200 yds and scored on a QB sneak I think).

Just give me one week where at the end of it we're like, "Man, Brock really bailed his team out." My eyes are on the Christmas game vs the Ravens.

Edited by Art_Vandalay

For a while Purdy didn't get enough credit for how well he's playing, but now we've seemingly gone the opposite direction. Purdy literally has one of the greatest supporting casts of all time. You put him on any other team and he's a shell of the QB that we're seeing today. You put Dak or any other top 5 QB in his spot and they easily win MVP, not even close.

17 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

So, what will make me shut up about this? Can I just get one win where the team as a whole isn't firing on all cylinders? That may not happen because they have an elite defense, running game, and coaching. Their closest game in a win was vs the Rams when the Rams kicked a field goal at the end of regulation to screw over the gamblers. And in that game, Brock didn't really have to do much (threw for 200 yds and scored on a QB sneak I think).

CMC averaged less than 3 yards a carry against Dallas and Purdy obliterated them nonetheless. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

For a while Purdy didn't get enough credit for how well he's playing, but now we've seemingly gone the opposite direction. Purdy literally has one of the greatest supporting casts of all time. You put him on any other team and he's a shell of the QB that we're seeing today. You put Dak or any other top 5 QB in his spot and they easily win MVP, not even close.

I like that we have gone from (some) people picking Seattle to win the west at the start of the year to "the 49ers have one of the greatest rosters ever". 

7 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

PFF Pass Blocking Grade vs. EPA/Play seems like a VERY weird and random combination of stats, especially when we all know PFF's grades are subjective and...at best...questionable.

I would love to see Brock Purdy's pressure rate and other objective stats that could tell us how good/bad that offensive line as a unit is.

45 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

I just don't think this is true. What makes Purdy good is his accuracy, diagnosing plays quickly, and reacting to what's happening around him. His anticipation on throws and his pocket awareness allow him to make throws that wouldn't otherwise be there. The man makes out of structure plays every single week. 

Shanahan isn't controlling him. Purdy is making things look so easy because of his talent. If he was on another team, his skills wouldn't suddenly disappear. 

And honestly, if he went to another team that has better pass protection, but worse playmakers, he'd probably still be pretty good.