The MVP race

Steelersfan43

Just now, NoFlyZone said:

I need someone to explain how Lamar is the MVP favorite. Just because he’s the QB of the current best team in the league? I just don’t think the ‘meh’ production supports it. 

The ravens defense has been the best part of their team this year but he’s the mvp somehow. I don’t get it 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

I need someone to explain how Lamar is the MVP favorite. Just because he’s the QB of the current best team in the league? I just don’t think the ‘meh’ production supports it. 

8 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

The ravens defense has been the best part of their team this year but he’s the mvp somehow. I don’t get it 

Best player on a top 5 offense of the best team in the league (to date - that could change if loss to Miami).

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Soko said:

Lamar has been mentioned, but he’s been mentioned even less than CMC. A couple weeks ago it was a dead heat between Dak/Hurts, and then Dak took the clear lead. Purdy was a distant third. Dak loses a game, then Purdy became the clear favorite. Hardly any mentions of Lamar. Now Purdy loses, and Lamar (and Allen) are front runners. 

Meh. It happens every year, to an extent, but usually by now it’s a two horse race. Speaks to the weakness of the candidates for 2023. 

The results you mention above mirror the results of the BetGM results of the race. The front runners that are top 2-3 are going to be the ones most mentioned. Which initially it was Mahomes and Hurts, then Hurts and Dak, then Dak and Purdy, then Purdy and Lamar with CMC as the 3rd place favorite.

Now we see Lamar and Allen as the favorite. One because Allen should’ve been in stronger consideration the whole time, but while Lamar didn’t have the flashy stats and that’s why he wasn’t in the conversation, Allen wasn’t in the conversation because his team wasn’t in playoff position and the MVP wouldn’t go to a team that doesn’t make the playoffs.

So as Lamar has strengthened his statistical case and Allen put his team in obvious playoff position, it only makes sense that both now find themselves in the thick of the MVP conversation.

Granted the betting odds still have Allen as only ranked 5th behind CMC, Tua, and Purdy. But in reality there’s no way CMC should win the award over either Lamar or Allen. He’s not as valuable to the 49ers passing attack as Lamar or Allen to theirs and he’s not as valuable to his teams rushing attack as Lamar is to his. Whats more he’s not having a record breaking season as a runner either and that’s the precedent for winning the award over lackluster QB play.

Beyond that Purdy really tanked his chances with that game and it’ll be difficult for voters, who likely only watch prime time games and the occasional big matchups anyway… are going to forget about that game, especially when some were still holding his mid season stretch against him.

So you’ve got IMO a three horse race between Lamar, Tua, and Allen. Ideally you’d want Lamar to hit at least 24 passing TDs, but he needs at least 28 total TDs to hit what’s been the minimum threshold for total TDs. If he doesn’t hit that, even if Allen finishes in the wildcard, you probably give it to him IMO.

39 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

The results you mention above mirror the results of the BetGM results of the race. The front runners that are top 2-3 are going to be the ones most mentioned. Which initially it was Mahomes and Hurts, then Hurts and Dak, then Dak and Purdy, then Purdy and Lamar with CMC as the 3rd place favorite.

That’s cool, but my posts really had nothing to do with Lamar’s case specifically or who is currently the front runner. 

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Great article on why Lamar should be MVP, for those who care to read such things:

Yeah but Flacco. I think if Flacco beats the Jets, he easily wins MVP. The only way he wouldn’t is if the league just knows he’s getting Super Bowl MVP and wants Lamar to have a little something too. 

• Like 1