Week 8: San Francisco 49ers vs Cincinnati Bengals

J-ALL-DAY

Thought I would get this started since we always have a thread up by Tuesday.

Will break the game down later but this is pretty much a must win for us if we are to truly challenge for the #1 seed. Hoping Williams will be able to return and the defensive injuries we had yesterday are just minor. 

Burrow is playing better than he did earlier in the season and now Higgins is back and that defense is starting to get it going themselves. Will not be easy at all but luckily we will be back home. 

I predict another close game but this time Purdy gets it done.

SF 24

CIN 20 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

I kind of think this is a loss. That's why I said that Minnesota game was important. 

I have no confidence in this defense right now.

We can't affect the pocket upfront and the back-end is looking disjointed.

We have virtual no interior push outside Hargraves and the edge presence has been non-existent outside of a few games against QBs with a suspect internal clock.

And we can't tackle to save our lives.

Even Warner missed tackles last night he normally makes in his sleep.

Not sure what's up but until the defense gets it sorted out, I see us continuing to struggle against perennial playoff teams.

We don't have the kind of offense that can carry us while the defense figures it out.

Short week against a Bengals team coming off their bye, getting healthier & was in the 2021 SB & 2022 AFCCG. I think we lose a close one here

For #1 seed purposes, looking ahead to the next 3 weeks, with Eagles at 6-1 & Lions/49ers at 5-2 

Eagles - Commanders L,  Cowboys W, bye

Lions - Raiders W,  bye, Chargers L

49ers - Bengals L, bye, Jaguars W

So I got Eagles at 7-2, Lions & 49ers at 6-3. After these 3 weeks, all 3 teams will have had their byes and the picture will start to get clearer

28 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I have no confidence in this defense right now.

We can't affect the pocket upfront and the back-end is looking disjointed.

We have virtual no interior push outside Hargraves and the edge presence has been non-existent outside of a few games against QBs with a suspect internal clock.

And we can't tackle to save our lives.

Even Warner missed tackles last night he normally makes in his sleep.

Not sure what's up but until the defense gets it sorted out, I see us continuing to struggle against perennial playoff teams.

We don't have the kind of offense that can carry us while the defense figures it out.

I don't have confidence in this team but I think they'll find a way to beat the Bengals just b/c they've lost 2 in a row. If the Niners were 7-0 or 6-1 then I'd take Bengals all the way. Really I don't care if they lose b/c either way this team is too flawed to win a SB. If the Niners drop this game then it will just prove a point and sometimes a point needs to proven before you can move forward.

20 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Short week against a Bengals team coming off their bye, getting healthier & was in the 2021 SB & 2022 AFCCG. I think we lose a close one here

For #1 seed purposes, looking ahead to the next 3 weeks, with Eagles at 6-1 & Lions/49ers at 5-2 

So I got Eagles at 7-2, Lions & 49ers at 6-3. After these 3 weeks, all 3 teams will have had their byes and the picture will start to get clearer

Ok so you got the Niners losing at home to Cincy that's fine. But if they lose at home to Cincy I can't imagine you have them winning in Philly? I see the Niners losing games in Philly, at home to Ravens, at Seattle. I'm also not sure if the Niners can beat the Jags on the road. Also the Rams game will be tough as well. I'm saying Niners finish no better than 12-5 and won't get the bye and be lucky to be just a #2 seed b/c Lions may win more games.

It's all really moot point right now as this team is way too flawed to go on some fairytail run to a SB title in January as too many teams with QB's who can exploit the Niners and the Brock Purdy experiment can only take them so far. If Brock is tasked with winning the Niners games then it's an up hill battle that won't end well.

25 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

You're going to need to start adding Seattle to these. 

1 minute ago, NFL Network said:

k so you got the Niners losing at home to Cincy that's fine. But if they lose at home to Cincy I can't imagine you have them winning in Philly?

the thing to monitor with Philly is that their schedule includes one of the most insane stretches of difficulty I've ever seen. Cowboys, Chiefs, Bills, 49ers, Cowboys, seattle. 

They are going to lose some games in there, and if they don't, pack it up. We aren't better lol. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

the thing to monitor with Philly is that their schedule includes one of the most insane stretches of difficulty I've ever seen. Cowboys, Chiefs, Bills, 49ers, Cowboys, seattle. 

They are going to lose some games in there, and if they don't, pack it up. We aren't better lol. 

I definitely agree the Eagles will lose some games but I don't think they lose to the Niners at home. Most likely the Chiefs beat the Eagles, split with Cowboys and Bills could beat Philly b/c Josh Allen playing hero ball. Not sure about Seattle as venue makes a difference and didn't check where that game takes place.

Right now the 3 main NFC contenders are Eagles, Niners & Cowboys as I don't think the Lions are a factor in winning the NFC as they'll stumble once competition gets difficult at some point. Lions just a feel good story that will burst.

What wouldn't surprise me though is a scenario in which the Seahawks top the Niners for the NFC West as that can happen if the Niners aren't careful with how many games they drop. 

The fact of the matter remains that the Niners are not winning the SB when you have to get past the Cowboys, Eagles and then take down the AFC winner of either Chiefs, Bills or Ravens as those teams can all beat the Niners in a playoff game even the Cowboys if they get a rematch. I didn't include the Dolphins out of the AFC b/c I view them as team of frauds especially the defense and one AFC opponent whom I think the Niners can beat in a SB game.

Week 6 I was more aggressive with my prediction and we lost

Week 7 I didn't even post

so here goes..

SF 27 Bengals 20

I just think we get it done this time. Pass rush comes to left. Score is probably closer than what really happens on the Field.

With less than a min left and no time outs, the Bengals opt for a FG but fail to recover the onside kick. 

Like everyone else has mentioned, until this Defense starts producing and I’m not even talking about turnovers. I would like to see progression from the pass rush or the lack thereof and playing like an actual top defense. This soft zone is getting destroyed! We have come across our share of turnovers every game, but the opposing team will normally shake it off. 

Offensively, stop shooting yourself in the foot! It should not be dependent on CMC. We have more than enough skill players, including running backs - Mason, hint hint to get substantial yards. Aiyuk needs to get more than 1 target in the second half. 

We’re at home and I would love to pick us to win, and more than likely we will but I think it’s going to be close 24-21.

That's the homer in me, I can honestly see us still losing as well and easily! They have 2 top tier receivers and Mixon who can dice us up. It can easily be one sided but I have to imagine Kyle will have words with Wilks to correct. 

• Like 1