Is there an argument for Baker Mayfield #1 ?

bosko1616

11 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Lazy comparison; same school but different offense.

Efficiency isn't comparable either, as Mayfield passed for 5-10% better completion rate and 4.4 more A/YA.

Also, Baker has functional knees. 

The two are not comparable prospects.

I wasn't making a comparison between the two as prospects. I was pointing out a precedent within the very same school to show that elite stats don't mean an automatic transition.

Again, I like Baker. But let's not pretend his stats aren't hugely inflated by the wide open players he throws to all game long against cupcake defenses.

1 minute ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I wasn't making a comparison between the two as prospects. I was pointing out a precedent within the very same school to show that elite stats don't mean an automatic transition.

Again, I like Baker. But let's not pretend his stats aren't hugely inflated by the wide open players he throws to all game long against cupcake defenses.

Let's not pretend that it is, either. Since the numbers are just as good against to top 10 defenses he has faced this year (3 times).

No there is not an argument to take him. He is a Johnny Manziel clone. Plays in the defenseless Big 12 with their exciting offenses and such. He'll be overwhelmed by pro style defenses. I kinda thought about it earlier in the year but now not so much. Plus he is a complete and utter turd. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

9 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

No there is not an argument to take him. He is a Johnny Manziel clone. Plays in the defenseless Big 12 with their exciting offenses and such. He'll be overwhelmed by pro style defenses. I kinda thought about it earlier in the year but now not so much. Plus he is a complete and utter turd. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

At least we can see how Darnold and Mayfield compare when facing the Buckeye defense. All Darnold has to do it best the 27-35 for 386 yards and 3 TD 0 INT that Mayfield had.

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

At least we can see how Darnold and Mayfield compare when facing the Buckeye defense. All Darnold has to do it best the 27-35 for 386 yards and 3 TD 0 INT that Mayfield had.

That's not a fair way to look at it. If that was the case, we should draft Nathan Stanley of Iowa over Mayfield. He went 20/31 for 226 yards, 5 TD and 0 INT. And they scored 55.

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

yeah tOSUs secondary has greatly improved since than IMO. That was the 2nd game for a handful of new members of the secondary. Where now, vs USC they have 10+ games under their belt and now 2-3 weeks to prepare for the USC

13 minutes ago, buno67 said:

yeah tOSUs secondary has greatly improved since than IMO. That was the 2nd game for a handful of new members of the secondary. Where now, vs USC they have 10+ games under their belt and now 2-3 weeks to prepare for the USC

I agree. OSU's secondary was exposed, picked apart, burned - whatever you wanna call it - by Oklahoma. Guys were open all over the field. Even so, by contrast you can look at JT Barrett who has missed open targets all season long, and when he does hit them, it's very rarely in stride. It really speaks to Mayfield's accuracy. Can he thread the needle? There's little film to answer this, but there's no doubt his accuracy is elite.

22 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Taking him over Darnold would be such a Browns move.

tenor.gif?itemid=10314770

In reference to that GIF Kansas players refused to shake Mayfield's hand so he was angry and fought back a little. I know that isn't the type of guy we want when the Ravens and Steelers start bullying us, we should continue to get players who lay down and don't fight back but he may be good for a franchise who needs an identity and some toughness with a little throw it back in your face mentality when he is disreprected.

Not sure how many of you are OBR subscribers or follow this guy on Twitter. But Benjamin Albright just joined OBR. Check out his takes on Mayfield. I’m not a college football guy at all. But I do respect this guy’s opinions and if he can be all in on Mayfield, so can I. I’m in. And to make LETSGOBROWNIES happy, someone asked Allbright what he would do if he were the Browns on draft day. His response?  “TRADE DOWN, acquire picks, and draft Mayfield.”

31 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

In reference to that GIF Kansas players refused to shake Mayfield's hand so he was angry and fought back a little. I know that isn't the type of guy we want when the Ravens and Steelers start bullying us, we should continue to get players who lay down and don't fight back but he may be good for a franchise who needs an identity and some toughness with a little throw it back in your face mentality when he is disreprected.

I’d prefer not to have headaches that have had to apologize to their team 3x now just over the past year, at the QB position. Has nothing to do with lying down against the divisional opponents. You don’t see his type of ‘fire’ out of Big Ben either. Throwing footballs at TCU players’ heads during warmups. Sexual gestures and words on national TV at opponents and yelling back and forth at fans of a 2-win team. Resisting arrest when drunk and disorderly. Real class guy. Browns really have a great track record on his type.

8 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I’d prefer not to have headaches that have had to apologize to their team 3x now just over the past year, at the QB position. Has nothing to do with lying down against the divisional opponents. You don’t see his type of ‘fire’ out of Big Ben either. Throwing footballs at TCU players’ heads during warmups. Sexual gestures and words on national TV at opponents and yelling back and forth at fans of a 2-win team. Resisting arrest when drunk and disorderly. Real class guy. Browns really have a great track record on his type.

This is part of it for me.

Red flags.

Just do not see how we could pick him at #1 if Darnold declares.

12 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Okay, I do not know him personally, but his actions show me that this is a guy who clearly has learned from his experiences.

DUI... and then never arrested again. Not spotted engaging in crazy partying afterwards, either, unlike Johnny.

The gestures, yes they were wrong. Regardless of the fact that he was provoked, he was remorseful. Dude was IN TEARS. I think he knows he cannot do that again.

These off-field antics that people point out about him just seem like such cop outs for reasons to dislike him. If you don't want him, that's fine, but blame it on the size or the Big 12. He is, on so many levels, a more competitive, tenacious and dedicated football player than Johnny Manziel ever was.

Big Ben did have some fire to him. He had to straighten out when he was drafted. Even still, we cannot forget the allegations that emerged during his tenure in the league.

6 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

These off-field antics that people point out about him just seem like such cop outs for reasons to dislike him.

They undeniably are red flags.

Definitely have to consider them.

Personally, I am sick and tired of picking players with red flags.

How well has that worked for us?

Just now, bruceb said:

They undeniably are red flags.

Definitely have to consider them.

Personally, I am sick and tired of picking players with red flags.

How well has that worked for us?

Aside from Johnny and Josh Gordon, when have red flags ruined careers of our draft picks? There was a time when we stuck to high character guys only. That did not fare all too well. I do think a line needs to be drawn, but players who learn from their mistakes deserve second chances, too.

Archived