The Michigan/Sign Stealing & COVID Punishment Thread

BobbyPhil1781

31 minutes ago, Sad People said:

Yup. At what point does it become malpractice?

Dan Wetzel said as much.  The idea these teams think they have some right to privacy when flashing giant signs in front of 80,000 + people on live tv is pretty naive.  The Marquette study I posted yesterday from 2022 basically concluded that sign stealing is so prevalent in college football that for a program not to partake is malpractice and a disservice to everyone who’s career’s (players and coaches) are on the line. 

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

You don’t know this

of course not. That’s the defense they are going with until proven otherwise.  Obviously non of us no much of anything about the true details of all this. It’s a lot of he said she said and everyone’s choosing to believe what they want.  I’m trying to discuss the actual football side of it and the grey area of the technicality of what rules may have been truly broken.  No one’s really interested in that though 

7 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

2CkPjd2.png

Ok I’ll call it a day til more information comes out. You don’t have to like me or agree with my opinions but you made a insulting statement about me I simple asked you to point out something I said to directly back this up. If you can go threw my post history talking football, X’s and O’s and scouting breakdowns and just think I must have never played football or don’t know anything about the game says more about you than me. 

I think most of you are just annoyed someone interrupted the meme joke show to actually talk about football.  My bad 

20 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

Lol this is hilarious. What in the world gives you the idea that in person scouting caries a post season ban? That’s not the go to for punishment for breaking random rules, especially one’s the ncaa has previous admitted to not considering a serious infraction.  Everyone wants the big10 to react to there feelings.  

Creating a competitive advantage should be a post season ban. UM was awful before they hired Stallions and all of a sudden amazing after.  I hope Harbaugh sticks around as he will revert back to his 2-4 and 8-5 type teams without the advantage.  

Ohio State received a 1 year bowl ban and Jim Tressell lost his career for a much smaller infraction.  

Many other schools with much more minor infractions have had bowl bans. UM fans seem to think because they are Michigan that the rules and penalties don’t apply to them, which to be fair haven’t in the past, but should. 

17 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Dan Wetzel said as much.  The idea these teams think they have some right to privacy when flashing giant signs in front of 80,000 + people on live tv is pretty naive.  The Marquette study I posted yesterday from 2022 basically concluded that sign stealing is so prevalent in college football that for a program not to partake is malpractice and a disservice to everyone who’s career’s (players and coaches) are on the line. 

From what ive heard and its mainly from Joel Klatt and some other national media type people is that every team steals signals. Its just how far do they go to do it? Now are they all pulling a Michigan and sending someone to games to get signals? I doubt it, but i also wouldnt be too surprised if some teams go to that extent as well, Michigan is just dumb enough to get caught. Thats why i thought the point Joel made about a reason as to why teams dont want to go to headsets in helmet is because they do it too.

11 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

I think most of you are just annoyed someone interrupted the meme joke show to actually talk about football.  My bad 

Hate to say it but i kinda do agree with this as well. It does seem like youve interrupted their s*** posting by making counter arguments. Nothing youve posted seems particularly egregious. Just the .02 from someone who doesnt have a dog in this fight and came in here firmly in the middle with an unbiased opinion.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sad People said:

Hate to say it but i kinda do agree with this as well. It does seem like youve interrupted their s*** posting by making counter arguments. Nothing youve posted seems particularly egregious. Just the .02 from someone who doesnt have a dog in this fight and came in here firmly in the middle with an unbiased opinion.

I’m assuming this is satire considering he’s a diehard UM fan

3 hours ago, Sad People said:

Also found an article about the hacking into other teams databases and it says nothing more than "unauthorized computer access incident" What does that even mean? and is incredibly vague. So ill just kinda ignore that for now until something concrete comes out. Then with the new info i can make an opinion on it.

Unauthorized computer access is what the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act prohibits. Its basically hacking though it bit more precise. It is a federal crime, depending on the extent it can be a misdemeanor or felony

2 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

The Marquette study I posted yesterday from 2022 basically concluded that sign stealing is so prevalent in college football that for a program not to partake is malpractice and a disservice to everyone who’s career’s (players and coaches) are on the line.

You still don't understand that no one, not a single person is complaining because the stole signs. It is HOW they stole signs that is the problem

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mse326 said:

You still don't understand that no one, not a single person is complaining because the stole signs. It is HOW they stole signs that is the problem

“He acted alone”

”He went rogue”

”He said and Jim said he acted alone”

”I believe them”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

of course not. That’s the defense they are going with until proven otherwise.  Obviously non of us no much of anything about the true details of all this. It’s a lot of he said she said and everyone’s choosing to believe what they want.  I’m trying to discuss the actual football side of it and the grey area of the technicality of what rules may have been truly broken.  No one’s really interested in that though 

I mean, Billy Eppler is falling on the sword for the Mets by getting caught for manipulating MLB’s injury disclosure rules.  We all know every team does it to some extent, but how much they did it, or how far they took it, is the problem.  Seems to be the same problem here, but obviously the NCAA is going to set an example with Michigan- one way or another- with how far teams can take it.  

9 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Unauthorized computer access is what the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act prohibits. Its basically hacking though it bit more precise. It is a federal crime, depending on the extent it can be a misdemeanor or felony

Im aware of that.  And my understanding is that right now theres no evidence supporting he was doing it to get playcalls or the playbook, just that he was hacking. Now it might come out that he was doing it to gain an unfair advantage but im not going to use that against Michigan to support a narrative. In fact University of Michigan deputy chief of police Melissa Overton says theyre unrelated.