2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

1 hour ago, refundmytickets said:

Asking in the context of the “WR/OT v. top defensive player” conundrum:

How good of a fit is Turner in this defense? He seems pretty small for a full-time DE. If we’re locked into Flus and an even-front defense, does that size cause any concern? Does it clarify the decision between one of Odunze/Alt/Fashanu and Turner?

Turner seems like less of an obvious fit for what Flus usually looks for than either Latu or Verse. I think Turner goes 8 anyway though, which would make this academic. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Turner seems like less of an obvious fit for what Flus usually looks for than either Latu or Verse. I think Turner goes 8 anyway though, which would make this academic. 

I think the fans are always higher on the WRs and undervalue the OTs and DEs to GMs/Coaches.  They are the harder positions to find.  Which is why in all mocks the WRs fly off boards immediately.

Owners can always influence picks as well.  They are more like fans.

This year is tougher to tell because the WRs are really good and deserve to go high.  

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 2

This was tweeted shortly after word came out that Poles wouldn’t be going to Maye’s pro day (where he went to McCarthy’s and will be going to Daniels’ tomorrow). I don’t think that’s the case.

I think the difference is that both Michigan and LSU also have several other highly rated prospects in whom we probably have interest. Michigan has Zinter, Nugent, Wilson and Jenkins who are of obvious interest, and LSU has both 1st round WRs, a potential late round/UDFA C in Charles Turner and 3 separate mid round DTs in Smith, Wingo & Jefferson. Does UNC have any draftable prospects besides Maye and LB Cedric Gray (LB is maybe our lowest need right now)? 

9 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

This was tweeted shortly after word came out that Poles wouldn’t be going to Maye’s pro day (where he went to McCarthy’s and will be going to Daniels’ tomorrow). I don’t think that’s the case.

It’s not, I can PROMISE you that. 

This is just an old fart trying to get some traction on twitter

I talked about all the QBs with that group of guys. Because I am so confused about the McCarthy stuff

Basically, the consensus from these guys was, Caleb is the pick BECAUSE he isn’t as much of a project as most QB prospects are. Daniels is just a different Fields, McCarthy has some really impressive tape, but it’s all very calculated by the coaches to hide all his bad traits from previous years (he didn’t fix them, just stayed away) and Maye is the prototype with plenty of questions, who you should sit for a year or two so he catches up. None of those would have gotten the immediate go ahead to be drafted at #1 for the Bears because of the new expectations.

Maye could be #4 for them (I doubt it) but this has nothing to do with the QBs. You hit the nail on the head, It’s about the amount of prospects to see at the other Pro Days

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, refundmytickets said:

Asking in the context of the “WR/OT v. top defensive player” conundrum:

How good of a fit is Turner in this defense? He seems pretty small for a full-time DE. If we’re locked into Flus and an even-front defense, does that size cause any concern? Does it clarify the decision between one of Odunze/Alt/Fashanu and Turner?

He is a little light but whenever I have watched he looked stout vs the run. I don't think he is as stout as Will Anderson was coming out, but I think between natural athleticism, strength and decent arm length he could definitely play full time DE. He might do more stunting but has plenty movement skills that he doesn't need to just handfight and overpower guys, I think his burst will put a LOT of OTs on their heels.

Verse's motor just has me favoring him pretty heavily over Turner. I'd actually be happy with the idea of a trade back if Poles signs 1-2 FAs for depth and has 3-5 guys in the same "bucket" for grades. He could drop back a bit, gather more resources, and still get a talent he feels is as talented as who was drafted from his original spot.

Also @StLunatic88 mentioned how Poles kept cap space open in case of a situation like Allen coming up, maybe he has ben more conservative in FA still in case he decides to go back a few picks for the 1st and a player (IDK who but say Miller from LAR or Buckner from IND) to allow for a high ranking prospect but a major upgrade immediately would be something I'd be interested in.

I will say it is entertaining during the offseason to not know what the hell is going on. lol

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think the difference is that both Michigan and LSU also have several other highly rated prospects in whom we probably have interest. Michigan has Zinter, Nugent, Wilson and Jenkins who are of obvious interest, and LSU has both 1st round WRs, a potential late round/UDFA C in Charles Turner and 3 separate mid round DTs in Smith, Wingo & Jefferson. Does UNC have any draftable prospects besides Maye and LB Cedric Gray (LB is maybe our lowest need right now)? 

Tez Walker

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Beat me to it. Shows here he’s right around 50% of his reps in the slot for the past several years. 

Daniel Jeremiah, who I trust ALoT and who has seen every KA snap has talked about this alot since we acquired KA. Maybe DJ isn't using the traditional definition of 'slot' or maybe he is projecting some here, talking about a 32 year old WR

....KA is a middle of the field zone-reader, zone-beater. Maybe he's OUTside in the redzone, or for schemes 12(even 13)-specific where there are more 50/50 looks or something...

slot isn't a perfect word for what KA does. Slot just means that there is an outside Receiver on same side.

KA mostly lines up  inside the #s, or is in motion. If he is the outside man on his side but still well inside the numbers, then he is not in the 'slot', but he still is only working middle of the field, and shorter routes

My point was about where KA plays in relation to Bowers ANd Everett, and how drafting Bowers would more or less keep Everett off the field. 

Edited by SLCbear

5 hours ago, SLCbear said:

Tez Walker

Forgot about him thx. specific to Walker, they got to see him for a whole week already at the Senior Bowl and also at the combine, so I doubt anything at the pro day off a script would add value. 

Is it me, or are like half of the top defensive players injured or coming out with a scary injury history?

I've heard NIL has thrown off the depth of this draft class, is there some phenomena sending up hurt players and keeping th healthy ones in college or is this just a fluke?

Edited by BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW

35 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Is it me, or are like half of the top defensive players injured or coming out with a scary injury history?

I've heard NIL has thrown off the depth of this draft class, is there some phenomena sending up hurt players and keeping th healthy ones in college or is this just a fluke?

Foot injuries scare me with big people.  A lot of weight on a foot.  

Scared me with big Raiders edge they drafted last year too.  A lot of times once those start they never stop.  

Like a back or neck. 

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Newton was healthy all last season and didn't miss any time because of an injury, at least IIRC. I think a lot of times players like this, especially one that is seen as such a high pick and as close to a lock being one as possible, are more likely to get little procedures done prior to the draft and getting to the league so they don't have stuff they're dealing with in their rookie season. this surgery/injury has with Newton specifically has been a variable since january/february and it hasn't affected his stock at all really, just the normal fluctuations of pre-draft media/league movement.

so to answer your question - i think it's guys just wanting to make sure everything is squared away medically and trying to be proactive in taking care of things that might be questionable prior to the draft. I would much rather it happen now than over the summer and have them miss time, which is probably their thinking as well