2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

6 hours ago, soulman said:

Gotta get those clicks in before imagination gives way to reality ethics be dammed.  And yet we wonder why politics has been following the same exact path right?

On one hand, the absurd “what if” theories on this week’s draft are entirely old. On the other, enough people buy into them that their immediate responsive actions to the absurd theories manipulate draft betting markets to give logical decisions more favorable odds, of which I am a big fan.

🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

On one hand, the absurd “what if” theories on this week’s draft are entirely old. On the other, enough people buy into them that their immediate responsive actions to the absurd theories manipulate draft betting markets to give logical decisions more favorable odds, of which I am a big fan.

🤷‍♂️

I think my favorite one from the last few weeks was the Caleb Williams interest was all smoke and the Bears are drafting JJ McCarthy number 1 overall. I think maybe Hub started that ****. But it still got a chuckle out of me. 

5 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

I think my favorite one from the last few weeks was the Caleb Williams interest was all smoke and the Bears are drafting JJ McCarthy number 1 overall. I think maybe Hub started that ****. But it still got a chuckle out of me. 

Biggest one going right now is we are selling farm for MH Jr.  

Being fueled by some NFL reporter.  He admits it is speculation, but people aren’t repeating it that way.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Being fueled by some NFL reporter.  He admits it is speculation, but people aren’t repeating it that way.  

Reminds of when the SI guy, forgetting his name, said "winds were blowing" that Chicago was trading 1 overall.

He said it was just him.  But he worded it like he was hearing things.

1 hour ago, GOGRIESE said:

Hub suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks lol.

The Bears are so sure CW is their guy that, after trading away Fields, they didn’t even meet with the other top QBs and then on his 30 visit sent him to dinner with his future teammates.

I mean come on.

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Hub suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks lol.

The Bears are so sure CW is their guy that, after trading away Fields, they didn’t even meet with the other top QBs and then on his 30 visit sent him to dinner with his future teammates.

I mean come on.

It's one of those. It's too obvious so it must be a smoke screen. But in reality it's just obvious because he's the obvious choice.

By the way I watched the Ryan Clark interview with Caleb. Beyond what we know about him already but the kid is impressive. I encourage any of you guys to watch the interview if you have some downtime. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Hoge? Sounds like maybe him lol. 

I mean look. I would love to trade up for MHJr. Only if it costs one of the 2nds next year. Maybe a late rounder beyond that. But I've resigned myself to trading down from that pick. I know Ryan probably doesn't want to go down too far though because of his design to still add that blue chip player with that selection. 

4 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

I mean look. I would love to trade up for MHJr. Only if it costs one of the 2nds next year. Maybe a late rounder beyond that. But I've resigned myself to trading down from that pick. I know Ryan probably doesn't want to go down too far though because of his design to still add that blue chip player with that selection. 

I’m not putting any stock in that one either. Trading away premium assets would make more sense for me to fill the gaping hole we have at DE (though there’s certainly no prospect that justifies that this year).

I love MHJ, but how much better would he have to be than Odunze or even Brian Thomas to justify trading away a 2025 1 and maybe more to get him when you already have a 27yo bona fide WR1 on the roster plus Keenan Allen at least short term? That’s fan logic, and for all we know about Poles thus far, he does not operate that way.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

No.  It wasn't Hoge.

15 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Some guy named Ben Volin.   Writer for Boston Globe.

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Bears/MHJ is easy clickbait fodder. Basically everyone in the Keep Fields camp wanted a trade down to net us Harrison. 

It absolutely is. It's just not realistic. 

Trading away a 1st next year is just not going to happen. I think they absolutely would ask for that too over the 2nd round pick. 

• Like 1

Just now, GOGRIESE said:

It'll be interesting if the Falcons have to surrender their pick this year for the Kirk Cousins tampering. That would work out extremely well for us. 

It would seem unreasonably harsh to decide to take that away from them 3 days before the draft. Their entire draft strategy (and probably a good chunk of their offseason strategy overall) has been built around having that pick.

I wouldn’t be upset at all - just don’t see that happening. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

It would seem unreasonably harsh to decide to take that away from them 3 days before the draft. Their entire draft strategy (and probably a good chunk of their offseason strategy overall) has been built around having that pick.

I wouldn’t be upset at all - just don’t see that happening. 

I think it's going to be a 1st round pick but probably their next years pick. 

But it should be harsh. They've been trying to crack down on tampering hard. That would be a good deterrent.