2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

Listen to Hoge and Jahns podcast from 11-29-2023 - Top 5 Bears draft prospects.  

John Lucas (whoever that is) starting 12:00 minutes until about 16:00 minutes talking about what he sees from Fields on tape and what Bears may be thinking.   He nails it.   

He expresses my thoughts exactly.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

John Lucas (whoever that is) starting 12:00 minutes until about 16:00 minutes talking about what he sees from Fields on tape and what Bears may be thinking.   He nails it.   

Care to sum it up for us?

19 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Josh Lucas?  He was a former director of player personnel for the bears.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Basically:

Showed improvement this year. 

Noted, if you keep him you likely have to incorporate QB runs into offense to suit his game and make up for pocket deficiencies and not every OC wants to do that.

Wildly inconsistent.  Used example of back to back plays to define him.  One terrible where he missed DJ Moore and looked lost, feet were wild, etc.  and one really good where he hit DJ Moore and did everything right.

I

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Basically:

Showed improvement this year. 

Noted, if you keep him you likely have to incorporate QB runs into offense to suit his game and make up for pocket deficiencies and not every OC wants to do that.

Wildly inconsistent.  Used example of back to back plays to define him.  One terrible where he missed DJ Moore and looked lost, feet were wild, etc.  and one really good where he hit DJ Moore and did everything right.

I

I am always a bit wary of Lucas' opinion...seems anything that went well when he was there was on him and anything that went badly he tried to stop (apart from him admitting he didn't Mahomes or Watson would have gotten away with how they played in college in the pros)...

The thing he said that did interest me was in regards to Fields' agent David Mulugheta...it's pretty well known the guy is a shark who will do what it takes to get his guys the contract they want and is happy enough to shake some trees to get them out of it...he also represents Deshaun Watson, Michael Thomas & Jalen Ramsey...all three who have been major headaches for their franchises...Fields comes across as a good guy who money doesn't seem to be a huge factor but negotiating with Mulugheta could push those guarantees up towards the $120 million range...that has to be factored into any decision as well.

32 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I am always a bit wary of Lucas' opinion...seems anything that went well when he was there was on him and anything that went badly he tried to stop (apart from him admitting he didn't Mahomes or Watson would have gotten away with how they played in college in the pros)...

The thing he said that did interest me was in regards to Fields' agent David Mulugheta...it's pretty well known the guy is a shark who will do what it takes to get his guys the contract they want and is happy enough to shake some trees to get them out of it...he also represents Deshaun Watson, Michael Thomas & Jalen Ramsey...all three who have been major headaches for their franchises...Fields comes across as a good guy who money doesn't seem to be a huge factor but negotiating with Mulugheta could push those guarantees up towards the $120 million range...that has to be factored into any decision as well.

Fields getting closer to needing a new contract is definitely a factor in QB draft discussion.  

Really sucks we basically wasted 2 years of development and eval on him and we are trying to jam it all into this one season.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Fields getting closer to needing a new contract is definitely a factor in QB draft discussion.  

Really sucks we basically wasted 2 years of development and eval on him and we are trying to jam it all into this one season.  

Not even a full season...which again his health has to be taken into consideration...

As much as being a GM is probably a dream job for most there is no doubt Poles (or on the very slim chance someone else) is really going to earn their money this offseason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Everything he said about Fields we already know, he said he would draft CW regardless

What was very interesting was the part about JC Latham  !

He states that Latham is DOminate plug and play at all 4 positions and that any Oline w TJ Wright and Latham is close to being the best Oline in NFL, if not THE best ....compared Latham to a better Carl Nicks 

AND right now Latham's weight is more suited to playing inside, if he were to play either T spot he would have to lose some weight 

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Something just hit me...

Is Caleb vs. Maye just Mayfield vs. Allen all over again? 😂

I'm not saying the outcome will be the same but those prospects have a lot on common in terms of strengths/weaknesses...wonder who the Sam Darnold will be haha.

*cough* JJ *cough* 😁

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I heard that too and was genuinely curious who/what the agent was/was like.  THanks for that. 

I think he was also pretty complimentary of the people who came after, although on very specific points. He didn't have to do that though and I feel like he's trying very very hard to present an honest and balanced point of view (and does well IMHO) looking for his next gig. 

I'm really starting to mentally rank the possible offseasons for the Bears and I could live with Fields coming back even if (argh)  Flus tags along.  The only thing that really gives me pause would be keeping Flus and Getsy and not Fields as JF1 has brought a lot more to the team than they have. 

I don't think FIelds would rank a top 10 contract next year, and I like the guy.  I feel like if ther agent is that tough we could be heading towards an early withdrawl by the bears to avoid the controversy. Would FIelds sit out if not picked up on the fifth year? Yikes. 

On 11/30/2023 at 12:04 PM, Madmike90 said:

FWIW Mughaleta also represents Jordan Love and worked that really reasonable deal that made sense for both sides in an odd circumstance too. 

• Like 2

Not a draft comment but there’s no 2024 FA thread yet. Most have been assuming that Mooney is clearly gone after 2023, but I think going to find a really rough FA WR market this spring. As of right now all of the following are also slated to become UFA in March in addition to Mooney:

Mike Evans

Tee Higgins

Michael Pittman

Curtis Samuel

OBJ

Calvin Ridley

Hollywood Brown

Gabriel Davis

Tyler Boyd

DJ Chark

Josh Reynolds

KJ Osborn

That’s a ton of starting talent, much of which has a better resume and recent track record than Mooney does. That, on top of a loaded draft class at the top in terms of WR (MHJ, Nabors, Coleman and Odunze are all clear 1st rounders to me, with Egbuka and Brian Thomas Jr. having really good chances as well) and Mooney is gonna be pretty far down the pecking order IMO. Some of those guys will re-sign but a bunch should hit FA too. I think there’s a really good chance Mooney ends up on a 1-year prove it deal in the $5M range. I could see that being here - Poles has raved about him many times.