2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

14 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Not a draft comment but there’s no 2024 FA thread yet. Most have been assuming that Mooney is clearly gone after 2023, but I think going to find a really rough FA WR market this spring. As of right now all of the following are also slated to become UFA in March in addition to Mooney:

Mike Evans

Tee Higgins

Michael Pittman

Curtis Samuel

OBJ

Calvin Ridley

Hollywood Brown

Gabriel Davis

Tyler Boyd

DJ Chark

Josh Reynolds

KJ Osborn

That’s a ton of starting talent, much of which has a better resume and recent track record than Mooney does. That, on top of a loaded draft class at the top in terms of WR (MHJ, Nabors, Coleman and Odunze are all clear 1st rounders to me, with Egbuka and Brian Thomas Jr. having really good chances as well) and Mooney is gonna be pretty far down the pecking order IMO. Some of those guys will re-sign but a bunch should hit FA too. I think there’s a really good chance Mooney ends up on a 1-year prove it deal in the $5M range. I could see that being here - Poles has raved about him many times. 

If I'm Mooney I wouldn't stay here for a 1 year deal, I'd chase an even cheaper deal with someone like Mahomes to get a bigger role with a proven passer. Or if Slowik stays in HOU then he has a hell of a chance to earn some money there too. Fields and Mooney haven't been able to connect in any sort of way yet and it has cost both of them a fair bit of success. I'd be the WR3 for Herbert before I'd be the WR2 in Chicago with this kind of history here.

• Like 1

I know there are a lot of great weapons in this upcoming draft, and I’d be happy to end up with a number of them. But if it ends up in a situation where we can’t get MHJ or Bowers, I’d really like to end up with Ladd McConkey.

Guy is going to be in the league for like 20 years. Because the kind of WR most assume he is (typical white slot guy), is actually what he will become in his 3rd act of his career. He’ll be so much more than that l, and could be an amazing compliment to what we have in DJ. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

JJ's accuracy just isn't great so far. Almost every catch needs a major adjustment. One damn nice diving reception though.

Then of course JJ throws an absolutely perfect pass and they drop it. WTF. lol

8 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I know there are a lot of great weapons in this upcoming draft, and I’d be happy to end up with a number of them. But if it ends up in a situation where we can’t get MHJ or Bowers, I’d really like to end up with Ladd McConkey.

Guy is going to be in the league for like 20 years. Because the kind of WR most assume he is (typical white slot guy), is actually what he will become in his 3rd act of his career. He’ll be so much more than that l, and could be an amazing compliment to what we have in DJ. 

Off topic but my god - is there a whiter name than Ladd McHonkey?

Belichick will draft him before us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

Off topic but my god - is there a whiter name than Ladd McHonkey?

Belichick will draft him before us.

Though his last name is McConkey, but now I wish he wasn't. I will refer to him as McHonkey from here on out.

Also in competition for most crackerist names - General Booty, Buck Coors, Demon Clowney, and Rowdy Beers.

My favorite name might be Major Burns for right now though. Sad he is majoring in Sports Administration, dude is completely in the wrong field.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Though his last name is McConkey, but now I wish he wasn't. I will refer to him as McHonkey from here on out.

Also in competition for most crackerist names - General Booty, Buck Coors, Demon Clowney, and Rowdy Beers.

My favorite name might be Major Burns for right now though. Sad he is majoring in Sports Administration, dude is completely in the wrong field.

Yeah i know, i just spelled it how i would pronounce it.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 2:46 PM, Sugashane said:

If I'm Mooney I wouldn't stay here for a 1 year deal, I'd chase an even cheaper deal with someone like Mahomes to get a bigger role with a proven passer. Or if Slowik stays in HOU then he has a hell of a chance to earn some money there too. Fields and Mooney haven't been able to connect in any sort of way yet and it has cost both of them a fair bit of success. I'd be the WR3 for Herbert before I'd be the WR2 in Chicago with this kind of history here.

Forget the Chicago history part of it because it’s just that - who’s the play caller in 2024? Ben Johnson has ARSB and LaPorta but Reynolds, Williams and Raymond all get fed too. Mooney is more talented than all of those guys but Williams. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Forget the Chicago history part of it because it’s just that - who’s the play caller in 2024? Ben Johnson has ARSB and LaPorta but Reynolds, Williams and Raymond all get fed too. Mooney is more talented than all of those guys but Williams. 

I'm more talking about Mooney's history, how even with a Nagy/Tru combination he looked like a solid #2 but with Fields and Eberflus/Getsy he is putting up some horrible stats. Last year he was the WR1 and got 5 targets per game, this year he is the WR2 and getting 3.5. He's on pace for only 500ish yards. New HC or not he may not trust Fields to get him the ball due to the obvious failures he (and Getsy) have had in that. 

Now it is true that Johnson will likely want a higher passing volume attack, but Fields is averaging only 27 attempts per game this year (up from 22ish the previous 2). Goff had a higher passing volume even his rookie year compared to even Fields this year, and averages about 100 more passing yards per game than Fields at this point. I'm not convinced any potential HC is looking at Fields and saying he can carry a real passing attack. Harbaugh had a limited passing attack with Kaep and he threw at about the same volume Fields has but would that make Mooney want to stay? I'd have serious doubts. Plus I imagine Harbaugh would want a more traditional passing attack as getting the 2nd ranked defense to prop up the offense is pretty damn hard. 

7 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

/I wonder if we're looking at this draft backwards. Would anyone be upset at this scenario?

Hire Harbaugh, Draft MHJ with our first pick, draft JJ McCarthy with our second pick?

It's definitely crossed my mind.  I'm assuming you have a trade down before we take JJ?  I'd be interested, depending on how the season shakes out.  Would you also have us keeping Fields in this scenario?