2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

He probably 'bets on himself' anyway if he doesn't get a big deal.  

If he has faith he really is "H1M" then that's what I would hope for too. Need the QB to have balls of solid rock, needs to know theyre worth it. (Then prove it)

I have zero issues with the Bears throwing a megadeal out there for Fields if he is worthy of it. I've stated my skepticism but hope I look like an absolute fool in a year or two. Fields is just such an easy guy to root for and has so much talent and physical gifts. Be a damn shame for him to bust or go elsewhere to succeed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

If he has faith he really is "H1M" then that's what I would hope for too. Need the QB to have balls of solid rock, needs to know theyre worth it. (Then prove it)

I have zero issues with the Bears throwing a megadeal out there for Fields if he is worthy of it. I've stated my skepticism but hope I look like an absolute fool in a year or two. Fields is just such an easy guy to root for and has so much talent and physical gifts. Be a damn shame for him to bust or go elsewhere to succeed.

If they do move on, I will both understand it and probably be a Fields fan wherever he goes. Have never felt like that about a player but I think just watching him put his body on the line for the Bears and pop up grinning so many times has made me a fan for life. That said I could see the lure of resetting at QB, getting "their guy" to tie the GM and coaches to, the appeal of either of the top two QBs etc etc. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Fields repeatedly talks like someone not worried about the contract. He always comments something to the tune of, “The contract will take care of itself.” And that makes sense - he’s surely already got a ton of money. He’ll have made $18M off his rookie deal even without the 5YO and I’m sure more (and probably a lot more) from his various endorsement deals with Oakley, C4, Essential Water, Dunkin Donuts and, most recently, Reebok. 

2 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

If they do move on, I will both understand it and probably be a Fields fan wherever he goes. Have never felt like that about a player but I think just watching him put his body on the line for the Bears and pop up grinning so many times has made me a fan for life. That said I could see the lure of resetting at QB, getting "their guy" to tie the GM and coaches to, the appeal of either of the top two QBs etc etc. 

I agree, I'll be a fan of his wherever he goes as long as something drastic doesn't happen (like Watson being a creep, didn't see that happening). I would root for him like I did Peanut and Olsen when they played for CAR, which is about as much support as you can throw a guy that isn't on your team. At this point I would still be trying to lure Harbaugh but it isn't my money either. Not personally dealing with him being such a constantly intense personality makes it easier for me too   lol 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Fields repeatedly talks like someone not worried about the contract. He always comments something to the tune of, “The contract will take care of itself.” And that makes sense - he’s surely already got a ton of money. He’ll have made $18M off his rookie deal even without the 5YO and I’m sure more (and probably a lot more) from his various endorsement deals with Oakley, C4, Essential Water, Dunkin Donuts and, most recently, Reebok. 

True, it seems like the polar opposite of Roquan's situation. Roquan had a history of stalling/stamping his foot at every turn when there was a commitment or contract to be done though since high school. If the Bears get to keep Eberflus it would be nice if he becomes basically 2000s Belichick 2.0, Fields keeps ascending, and the Bears get to have someone like EB or Kellen Moore be a perma-OC who gets paid like a HC (like McDaniels did for NE). 

• Like 1

If the Bears do decide to pass on a QB, I hope they only trade down 1 or 2 spots. Stay in the top 3 and get a blue chip talent. I started making a mock offseason and I had them trading down 1 spot to NE, once again assuming that they keep Fields. Funny enough, I was reading a mock on CBS and one of their 3 draft writers has them going down 1 spot. NE takes Williams and the Bears take Harrison.

Just throwing this out there but how sweet would it be if things stayed the way they are now in terms of the draft order and Fields shows enough thay Bears have confidence in continuing to build around him going forward and AZ decides they want to move on from Kyler and start fresh at QB and are willing to trade both of their 1s this year plus another one or two next year to move up for Caleb.. then we get to potentially grab MHJ at 3 and another two big talents with the remaining two firsts we have..or Poles can try and move down again with one of those other picks and just stack more picks in the 2nd round/future drafts/etc.

This would be a dream scenario 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

If the Bears do decide to pass on a QB, I hope they only trade down 1 or 2 spots. Stay in the top 3 and get a blue chip talent. I started making a mock offseason and I had them trading down 1 spot to NE, once again assuming that they keep Fields. Funny enough, I was reading a mock on CBS and one of their 3 draft writers has them going down 1 spot. NE takes Williams and the Bears take Harrison.

If they keep Fields and try and trade down, I'd be astonished if they didn't target Harrison. Just the Fields/Ohio State connection alone probably would have Fields pounding the table for the guy. 

18 minutes ago, Epyon said:

If they keep Fields and try and trade down, I'd be astonished if they didn't target Harrison. Just the Fields/Ohio State connection alone probably would have Fields pounding the table for the guy. 

FWIW the Fields/OSU connection for Harrison and Fields is no deeper than that they both went there. They were never there together. 

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

FWIW the Fields/OSU connection for Harrison and Fields is no deeper than that they both went there. They were never there together. 

He played with people who did directly play with Harrison at the very least.  And the fact that it's also his school certainly is a factor.... Wouldn't be shocked if he was higher on Egbuka as well.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

The idea that we will get to trade down for a “haul” but also that we are going to be getting Marvin Harrison at the same time is just this weeks newest issue of Bears Fan Fic.

Could it be done? Sure, but it would likely have to be some really crazy wheeling and dealing by Poles. Because MHJ is going to be almost as coveted as those Top 2 QBs, making it almost a lock he goes Top 3, #4 at worst.

Unless Arizona is giving up on Kyler (which just takes a different QB suitor off the board) then it looks very unlikely they are moving out of that spot, as they would be guaranteed either MHJ or a massive trade piece of the remaining of Williams/Maye. So it could take nearly as much of a trade to pry MHJ away from them as we would get for giving up #1 to a QB needy team.

Unless we get a miracle situation behind us, you all better start looking at Bowers/Nabors/Coleman/Odunze

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

The idea that we will get to trade down for a “haul” but also that we are going to be getting Marvin Harrison at the same time is just this weeks newest issue of Bears Fan Fic.

Could it be done? Sure, but it would likely have to be some really crazy wheeling and dealing by Poles. Because MHJ is going to be almost as coveted as those Top 2 QBs, making it almost a lock he goes Top 3, #4 at worst.

Unless Arizona is giving up on Kyler (which just takes a different QB suitor off the board) then it looks very unlikely they are moving out of that spot, as they would be guaranteed either MHJ or a massive trade piece of the remaining of Williams/Maye. So it could take nearly as much of a trade to pry MHJ away from them as we would get for giving up #1 to a QB needy team.

Unless we get a miracle situation behind us, you all better start looking at Bowers/Nabors/Coleman/Odunze

Why? They can't trade down 1 spot with NE like I mentioned?

I didn't mention a haul. Speak for yourself. I believe they can get NE's 1st, 3rd and 5th which would obviously still allow them to get Harrison

31 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Why? They can't trade down 1 spot with NE like I mentioned?

I didn't mention a haul. Speak for yourself. I believe they can get NE's 1st, 3rd and 5th which would obviously still allow them to get Harrison

You may not have, but it’s been said on this board plenty of times. And once again, I didn’t quote you on the topic

But again, you’re making another assumption that the Patriots (who might have a whole new regime in there) care enough between the two QBs to give up anything of real value to us. And before you say “of course they like one over the other” we just made the deal last year without them knowing who they are going to pick.

14 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

You may not have, but it’s been said on this board plenty of times. And once again, I didn’t quote you on the topic

But again, you’re making another assumption that the Patriots (who might have a whole new regime in there) care enough between the two QBs to give up anything of real value to us. And before you say “of course they like one over the other” we just made the deal last year without them knowing who they are going to pick.

Yes there may be a new regime. Yes that regime isn't going into the year with Jones. No I have no clue if they want just Williams or just Maye, because they may get a new QB prior to the draft (Murray?). No I can't be certain who NE would pick at 1 but I think we can say it won't be for a WR

My point was I'd love for them to stay in the top 3 for a chance at Harrison. I'm not making assumptions on 12/13/23 that the Pats will definitely want to move up 1 spot for their QB. It was just an overall thought that I'd love for the Bears to come away with Harrison. That's all

One thing I'm having trouble placing when trying to do a mock with Williams, is the value of Fields in trade.

Right now I've got him kinda penciled in as ~32nd overall, not unlike claypool but that could also be a bit of wishful thinking on my part since my idea is to draft Xavier Legette-WR with that pick to similarly stack weapons, and he is likely available in that range.

So what do we all think we'd get back for Fields right now?

6 minutes ago, Epyon said:

One thing I'm having trouble placing when trying to do a mock with Williams, is the value of Fields in trade.

Right now I've got him kinda penciled in as ~32nd overall, not unlike claypool but that could also be a bit of wishful thinking on my part since my idea is to draft Xavier Legette-WR with that pick to similarly stack weapons, and he is likely available in that range.

So what do we all think we'd get back for Fields right now?

CBS' newest mock by Chris Traposso has them trading Fields to TB for #20 and a conditional pick in 2025, and then using the three 1's on Maye, Chop Robinson and Leonard Taylor

While I think that's wishful thinking, Sam Darnold got traded for a 2nd and 4th iirc

• Like 1