2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

Posted (edited)

Yeah that clip made my brain hurt.

I think what he's trying to say is based off the (dumb) premise that trading 1.1 for 4x picks means they're identical in overall value, and thus every player of the 4 has to then be good, if the the person taken at 1.1 was good (in this case williams). 

There's a laundry list of reasons that's stupid, like taking into account hit rate on qbs vs other positions in the first round... Or hit rates on first player of a given position drafted... Overall value of the 4 players could also still be high with one bust, if the other 3 where better. The relative importance of the qb position. Then the obvious answer that pick values are subjective next to perceived needs, perceived opportunities.... And you only make a trade if you think you're avantaged in doing so (meaning the two sides of the deal are inherently imbalanced in your perceived favor) 

The real lesson to be learned here is player opinions aren't any different than general fan opinions.  They may have league experience, but many where carried through school on "for athletes" programs that where meant to keep college kids eligible as priority 1.

Edited by Epyon

8 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Yeah that clip made my brain hurt.

I think what he's trying to say is based off the (dumb) premise that trading 1.1 for 4x picks means they're identical in overall value, and thus every player of the 4 has to then be good, if the the person taken at 1.1 was good (in this case williams). 

There's a laundry list of reasons that's stupid, like taking into account hit rate on qbs vs other positions in the first round... Or hit rates on first player of a given position drafted... Overall value of the 4 players could also still be high with one bust, if the other 3 where better. The relative importance of the qb position. Then the obvious answer that pick values are subjective next to perceived needs, perceived opportunities.... And you only make a trade if you think you're avantaged in doing so (meaning the two sides of the deal are inherently imbalanced in your perceived favor) 

The real lesson to be learned here is player opinions aren't any different than general fan opinions.  They may have league experience, but many where carried through school on "for athletes" programs that where meant to keep college kids eligible as priority 1.

For me he was trying to say don't risk looking dumb if you miss on a few of those 4 players when you could just take Caleb and either not look dumb if he is great or look less dumb if he is a bust...

Dude is an idiot 😂

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sugashane said:

RRZG.gif

He went full ****** there. Never go full ******.

Everything on hot take sports media is about clicks, views and reads. It’s never about being right, or even intelligent. If there was EVER a clip that fully embodied that, it’s this one. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I have a preference (draft QB), but I am not far off this.  

I don't think anyone won't feel like this after the fact...obviously I want Fields to stay...but if he doesn't then whoever is under center next offseason wither that be Caleb or anyone else I will fully support them...no one player is bigger than the Bears and everyone here just wants what is best for the franchise.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think anyone won't feel like this after the fact...obviously I want Fields to stay...but if he doesn't then whoever is under center next offseason wither that be Caleb or anyone else I will fully support them...no one player is bigger than the Bears and everyone here just wants what is best for the franchise.

My point isn’t about rooting for Bears.  I am not changing teams after 4 decades plus.  

My point is either path taken could end up positive.  It is a good position to be in.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Everything on hot take sports media is about clicks, views and reads. It’s never about being right, or even intelligent. If there was EVER a clip that fully embodied that, it’s this one. 

So basically athletic relativism? lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

You absolutely right...I'll be honest guys it's the one thing I can't stand about American sports TV...

Guys like Skip Bayless or Colin Cowherd would never make a living over here because the trolling is just too obvious for British TV hahaha

• Like 1

I'm also going to say that if the Bears would somehow snag Ben Johnson as the OC then Bowers becomes an even bigger draft target. I know what LaPorta is doing in DET is pretty much impossible to replicate from a rookie but Johnson is doing an amazing job of designing plays to get him and St. Brown easy touches. A combination of Moore, Kmet, Bowers, WR2 would be a HELL of a group for him to do the same for with Fields/Williams/Maye,

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Point #2 is very interesting.

I don't think so. It's basically marketing at this point. Poles is trying to drive up his leverage. Same thing as the reports that WAS wanted to move up, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest that that was "leaked" from Halas Hall. Poles is smart enough to try and drive up the market for the picks. I'd be surprised if there weren't anonymous reports littering Twitter over the next 2 months about how competitive bidding is getting for 1.1.

Either way I do believe he will take the trade or pick that he feels helps the Bears the most rather than getting infatuated with someone for any other reason (Pace with Tru for example).

Just now, Sugashane said:

I don't think so. It's basically marketing at this point. Poles is trying to drive up his leverage. Same thing as the reports that WAS wanted to move up, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest that that was "leaked" from Halas Hall. Poles is smart enough to try and drive up the market for the picks. I'd be surprised if there weren't anonymous reports littering Twitter over the next 2 months about how competitive bidding is getting for 1.1.

Either way I do believe he will take the trade or pick that he feels helps the Bears the most rather than getting infatuated with someone for any other reason (Pace with Tru for example).

Of course he is...and that is exactly what he should be doing...the point is he is looking at all the options which is a great start.