2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Yes, it isn’t just him saying it though.    A number of insiders are saying it from their sources.  

It isn’t necessarily what is going to happen, but what most of league expects will happen.   It seems their opinion isn’t nearly as split as media and fans.   

I don't think many fans opinions are split on what will happen...we will draft Caleb...

I think opinion is more split on what we think is the best way forward...I just can't help but look at Baltimore & San Fran and see that the QB isn't the deciding factor in their success.

• Like 1

Just now, Madmike90 said:

I don't think many fans opinions are split on what will happen...we will draft Caleb...

I think opinion is more split on what we think is the best way forward...I just can't help but look at Baltimore & San Fran and see that the QB isn't the deciding factor in their success.

Team matters, but you aren’t giving Purdy and Jackson enough credit.  Put another QB in for a season on those teams in and see what happens.

Jimmy G. and Trey Lance don’t have 49ers in NFc championship. 

We beat SF with Trey Lance with the 22 team.   

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Team matters, but you aren’t giving Purdy and Jackson enough credit.  Put another QB in for a season on those teams in and see what happens.

Jimmy G. and Trey Lance don’t have 49ers in NFc championship. 

We beat SF with Trey Lance with the 22 team.   

I mean the qualifier being it was a near monsoon and our QB could run better than theirs could.

Purdy especially misses some really easy throws & gets lucky a lot...sure he has three or four great throws a game...so does Fields...

You might not get to the NFC Championship game with Jimmy G or Trey Lance...but they win it all with Fields.

13 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I mean the qualifier being it was a near monsoon and our QB could run better than theirs could.

Purdy especially misses some really easy throws & gets lucky a lot...sure he has three or four great throws a game...so does Fields...

You might not get to the NFC Championship game with Jimmy G or Trey Lance...but they win it all with Fields.

Again I will just say people don’t give Purdy nearly enough credit.  He is a really good QB.    If he was a first rounder I think they would.  

He came back fast off a terrible injury too. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It isn’t necessarily what is going to happen, but what most of league expects will happen.   It seems their opinion isn’t nearly as split as media and fans.

Gotta remember people not in Chicago or not hard watching the game every week.... are going to go off the pure stats more than anything.... and the pure stats for Fields are atrocious.

Basically people outside the Chicago bubble aren't seeing anything about Fields being a great guy/leader etc or that the WR room sucked, or the OL at large played with all the physicality of a amputee girls age 6-9 powder puff league...

They're just seeing "can't throw for 300 yards", "fumbles", and "win/loss record"...... much more hard quantifiable data.

FWIW, I think it's also worth pointing out that the number of defensive ends talking about how good he is are also looking at it purely from their own perspective: He's big, he can outrun them, and he can throw 60 yards downfield..... Those things alone make him a giant pain in the butt for a defensive end to handle, even if his overall stats are terrible, he's still a nightmare purely to that defensive end.

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Again I will just say people don’t give Purdy nearly enough credit.  He is a really good QB.    If he was a first rounder I think they would.  

He came back fast off a terrible injury too. 

We will need to agree to disagree on that...you take away some of the support network around him and he is a backup IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

We will need to agree to disagree on that...you take away some of the support network around him and he is a backup IMO.

One more thing and I will drop it.  I am not basing my opinion on Purdy on last night.  He didn’t have his best game.  It happens.  Still came from behind.

I have seen him play many times now.  He throws with timing and anticipation and with accuracy much more often than not.  And he is a young QB who has missed a lot of offseason reps.   That injury robbed him of some arm strength this year too.  

I think he has been stereotyped just like early Brady was.  People forget early Brady.   His arm is not as strong as Brady’s, but he plays a lot like him.  

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

One more thing and I will drop it.  I am not basing my opinion on Purdy on last night.  He didn’t have his best game.  It happens.  Still came from behind.

I have seen him play many times now.  He throws with timing and anticipation and with accuracy much more often than not.  And he is a young QB who has missed a lot of offseason reps.   That injury robbed him of some arm strength this year too.  

I think he has been stereotyped just like early Brady was.  People forget early Brady.   His arm is not as strong as Brady’s, but he plays a lot like him.  

giphy.gif

😂

Brady back then wasn't "Brady" but he did a lot more on his own than Purdy is being asked to do with a hell of a lot more.

14 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

During last years NFC Championship game, when all those rQBs went down, people still thought they had a chance even if they just put CMC at the wildcat QB spot. That’s how much talent and how good of a system they run.

Purdy does what he is asked, he limits bad decisions, and lets his playmakers do the work. But you put him in a lesser situation than the best in the league, where he has to go win you games? In the words of Romo “ehhhhh I don’t know Jim”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

FWIW, I think it's also worth pointing out that the number of defensive ends talking about how good he is are also looking at it purely from their own perspective: He's big, he can outrun them, and he can throw 60 yards downfield..... Those things alone make him a giant pain in the butt for a defensive end to handle, even if his overall stats are terrible, he's still a nightmare purely to that defensive end.

It's easy to see why players and analysts love Fields. He has some of the most impressive highlights of any QB in history. Those guys aren't watching the Bears week after week. They see highlights and think outside factors (e.g. coaching, teammates) are holding him back. The guys in the division who gameplan for him all say the same thing. Make him play QB and he can't hurt you.

Playing QB requires a huge amount of skill that Fields simply does not have. Football players are gym rats. They tend to overrate athletic traits while brushing skills off as learnable. A common refrain throughout Fields' career is that he has all the traits but needs someone to develop him. As if all that's required for Fields to have better decision-making or better touch is the right coach.

To me it's a bit simplistic and cheapens how skilled elite QBs need to be. If it were that simple, the best QBs would be elite athletes. But if you ranked the top 10 QBs of all-time, not a single one is an elite athlete.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Have to say when I have been plotting mocks I have felt the depth in this draft is way lower than some others when you get into certain positions...this could be a draft we really target talent over need.

I think we’re going to see a crazy amount of non Power 5 players drafted on Day 3. Especially a bunch of DII guys who have some high end specific skills

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Have to say when I have been plotting mocks I have felt the depth in this draft is way lower than some others when you get into certain positions...this could be a draft we really target talent over need.

i saw this and started thinking about how we dont currently have a pick in rounds 6 or 7. wonder if poles saw that in his advance scouting when trading for feeney (obvi not the NE trade for harry from the prior year)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Mahomes was probably 2nd best prospect in his draft and so was CJ Stroud.

Therefore we should draft Drake Maye.  It follows.  

I just go where evidence leads me.  

TBF I have MHJ graded higher than Williams, and Williams is the 2nd best player in the draft for me. 

So you're making me double down on Williams. lol 

• Like 1