2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

5 minutes ago, anonymousGM said:

Tough choice between DE and WR at #9. Dallas Turner lit it up he may actually go higher than I thought along with Trice

Turner going before 9 potentially helps a WR fall to us

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Well that’s an interesting approach.  Can’t say I’ve heard of a prospect doing that before.  Do they allow Medicals at pro days?

I don't like this.... especially since I did have a medical related question mark about him (his throwing hand was taped up most of the year)

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Turner going before 9 potentially helps a WR fall to us

They showed a clip of the Arizona GM looking pretty impressed after Turner's 40. Then when the guy saw he saw on t.v. he stopped celebrating thinking to himself "damn, better put on my poker face" 😂

Laiatu Latu just isn't my guy. Reminds me of Tyree Wilson last season and Leonard Floyd in the past. Gets a lot of sacks/pressures on his size/physical advantages alone. Older prospect. best fit for a 3-4. I don't think the Bears draft him unless there is a trade back or change in philosophies with Eric Washington at DC.

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

I don't like this.... especially since I did have a medical related question mark about him (his throwing hand was taped up most of the year)

He said teams he meets with will get to do medical, he’s just not doing blanket medical for all 32 teams. Honestly I think it’s a content driving nothing burger. Deion Sanders famously didn’t take meetings with teams picking outside the top few picks because he wasn’t gonna make it to their pick.

Does anyone outside a handful of teams at most even need to see Williams’ medical? He’s going 1st or maybe 2nd, so CHI, WSH and maybe like 1-2 other teams actually need his medical. What does it matter if BUF or KC or BAL or PHI get to examine him? They’re not drafting him. I get that it’s unconventional, but at the same time to give those exams to teams who have no chance of drafting him in actuality is a waste of his time and energy.

Doing what he’s doing in this regard only makes sense for the absolute, unquestioned top of the top prospects, of which there may not even be one in some draft classes. CW and MHJ have draft floors inside the top 5 picks. That’s really unique. I’m surprised more guys haven’t done this before tbh. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

He said teams he meets with will get to do medical, he’s just not doing blanket medical for all 32 teams. Honestly I think it’s a content driving nothing burger. Deion Sanders famously didn’t take meetings with teams picking outside the top few picks because he wasn’t gonna make it to their pick.

Does anyone outside a handful of teams at most even need to see Williams’ medical? He’s going 1st or maybe 2nd, so CHI, WSH and maybe like 1-2 other teams actually need his medical. What does it matter if BUF or KC or BAL or PHI get to examine him? They’re not drafting him. I get that it’s unconventional, but at the same time to give those exams to teams who have no chance of drafting him in actuality is a waste of his time and energy.

Doing what he’s doing in this regard only makes sense for the absolute, unquestioned top of the top prospects, of which there may not even be one in some draft classes. CW and MHJ have draft floors inside the top 5 picks. That’s really unique. I’m surprised more guys haven’t done this before tbh. 

Hands off our heisman-winning #1 overall pick QB. You want an MRI on his shoulder? contact his agent or Ryan Poles!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, anonymousGM said:

Hands off our heisman-winning #1 overall pick QB. You want an MRI on his shoulder? contact his agent or Ryan Poles!!!

Basically.

But seriously - unless the Bears do the highly unexpected thing and trade the pick to someone outside the top 3 there’s really no reason for him to give any medical info to anyone but the Bears and Commanders. He’s ending up on one of those teams. 

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Verse was my DE target going into today and him running 4.58 at 255 lb only further entrenched that for me. I’d take him at 9 without thinking twice. My guy this year on defense. 

Nice to have good options at 9.   I haven’t watched him play yet.  His workouts were awesome.  

Really cool that we already got such a stud in Sweat for a 2nd.  Go back and watch his workouts.   That guy is coming into his own.   

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I just woke up and saw this all over X.   Really pissed me off because it was purposely worded initially that he wasn’t doing medicals.  Which was to provoke a reaction which they got.  

It is lying by omission and context.   He will do medicals for whoever may draft him which is a smaller list for him.    Huge difference.

No reason for him to submit to 32 team doctors. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I just woke up and saw this all over X.   Really pissed me off because it was purposely worded initially that he wasn’t doing medicals.  Which was to provoke a reaction which they got.  

It is lying by omission and context.   He will do medicals for whoever may draft him which is a smaller list for him.    Huge difference.

No reason for him to submit to 32 team doctors. 

I still like Caleb despite this horrifying scandal, but aren't the medical tests for top prospects only shared with the top 10 teams anyway? 

Personally don't think this is a big deal but I feel like the whole Caleb experience is going to be be lots of little tests of the system and attempting to control things usually out of a players hands.  Might be beneficial to players in the long run but it's going to rankle many traditionally minded people. 

It sure does seem like there's going to be a lot of noise around everything he does, for good or ill.  Hope the Bears are buckled up.  Fans are going to be absolutely spastic for the duration of his career.  Wheee!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I still like Caleb despite this horrifying scandal, but aren't the medical tests for top prospects only shared with the top 10 teams anyway? 

Personally don't think this is a big deal but I feel like the whole Caleb experience is going to be be lots of little tests of the system and attempting to control things usually out of a players hands.  Might be beneficial to players in the long run but it's going to rankle many traditionally minded people. 

It sure does seem like there's going to be a lot of noise around everything he does, for good or ill.  Hope the Bears are buckled up.  Fans are going to be absolutely spastic for the duration of his career.  Wheee!

I always thought the whole idea was tests done collectively in an Indy hospital with MRIs and all that and everybody shares info.  That made sense to me.

I am now reading there is that, but also each team doctor gets to do their own thing in addition to that.  I didn’t know that.  

A lot of players complain about length and redundancy of it all.  Doing same thing again and again in already long and strenuous week.  It is a very tedious process it sounds like.  

If you ever had a job or been part of something that has lots of endless seemingly pointless long meetings you know the frustration of it. 

You submit if you have to.  But once you get some power you are often like to I need to be at this meeting?  Is a meeting really necessary?  Most men I know are like this.  I am like this.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

As the father of two teenagers I can safely say that this generation has no problem with challenging traditionally accepted norms where they make no sense. Williams seems to embody that quite a bit. That’s not a bad thing! Doing things the way they’ve been done for a long time just because that’s how they’ve been done for a long time is how people fall behind the times. Evolution is important. Hell, it’s only taken 105 years but we seem to be finally almost done with the chain gang on the sidelines! That progressive approach may rub older generations *cough* Greg Gabriel *cough* the wrong way but players in the locker room won’t care in the least that Williams didn’t do full medical for everyone at the combine (how many won’t even know?) or that he paints his nails as a h/t to his mother. They’ll care about how he handles himself as a football player when it’s time to prepare and to play, and how he conducts himself as a leader of the football team in that locker room. That’s it. 

• Like 1