First attempt at a "Human Head Transplant" scheduled to occur this month

Danger

2 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Informed that their chances of success are 90%?   That is a straight up lie.

Informed of risks, such as death obviously.  I don’t recall the details, but the participants aren’t two all American athletes in their 20’s, this is a last ditch effort for one of them, the other is essentially dead.

It doesn’t really matter what percentage the MD puts on procedure that’s never been done before, it’s obviously a hypothetical.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Informed of risks, such as death obviously.  I don’t recall the details, but the participants aren’t two all American athletes in their 20’s, this is a last ditch effort for one of them, the other is essentially dead.

It doesn’t really matter what percentage the MD puts on procedure that’s never been done before, it’s obviously a hypothetical.

Yea it does matter, people don't know better and take doctors seriously.  If he informs the patient it's very low chance of success(which it is) and they still want to go through with it, fine I got no problem with that, I probably would do the same thing.  If he's telling them they have a 90% chance of success, he's straight up lying to their face.

Define success anyway.  Re-attaching a cadaver's head is not even close to reattaching a living head.  Three year survival rate on heart transplant is close to 75%.  And we think a freaking brain transplant is higher chance of success?  Or are we defining success as a reattached head that never regains consciousness and dies 8 hours later?

Im all for researching the subject, but lets tell the freaking truth.  Lying to a patient to increase the chance that they choose to go through a dangerous procedure is criminal.

32 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Yea it does matter, people don't know better and take doctors seriously.  If he informs the patient it's very low chance of success(which it is) and they still want to go through with it, fine I got no problem with that, I probably would do the same thing.  If he's telling them they have a 90% chance of success, he's straight up lying to their face.

Define success anyway.  Re-attaching a cadaver's head is not even close to reattaching a living head.  Three year survival rate on heart transplant is close to 75%.  And we think a freaking brain transplant is higher chance of success?  Or are we defining success as a reattached head that never regains consciousness and dies 8 hours later?

Im all for researching the subject, but lets tell the freaking truth.  Lying to a patient to increase the chance that they choose to go through a dangerous procedure is criminal.

There's no truth to tell, no percentages to give, this is literally the first time it's ever been attempted.  You are just as right about the odds as he is.

If anyone is dumb enough to believe there is minimal risk in cutting your damned head off, literally, we're trying to save a world class moron here.

Working in the medical field I'm certain the patient has had both a mental eval and is fully aware of the risks.

28 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Working in the medical field I'm certain the patient has had both a mental eval and is fully aware of the risks.

Somewhere, @Tyty is sitting in a doctors waiting room with a line from a permanent marker dotted all the way around his neck, reading a 2 year old printing of Better Homes and Gardens. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

There's no truth to tell, no percentages to give, this is literally the first time it's ever been attempted.  You are just as right about the odds as he is.

If anyone is dumb enough to believe there is minimal risk in cutting your damned head off, literally, we're trying to save a world class moron here.

You're right, we both know the chances of success are extremely slim.  The difference is that he is lying about it.

Since when has it been ok for a doctor to lie about chances of success on a dangerous surgery just because it's never been done before?  It's ok to claim 90% because "we don't know"?  This is called a lie.

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

You're right, we both know the chances of success are extremely slim.  The difference is that he is lying about it.

Since when has it been ok for a doctor to lie about chances of success on a dangerous surgery just because it's never been done before?  It's ok to claim 90% because "we don't know"?  This is called a lie.

Where does the 90% come from though?

Clincal trials on rats?  If it works 90% of the time then, his estimate isn't a lie.  Hopeful, yeah, but not a lie.

There is no way he can accurately give a percentage, this has never been done before.  He's not lying, he's guessing/estimating/speculating.

I’m imagining the movie of this doctor’s life. Some humiliating experience in med school and someone telling him “you’ll never be a doctor” and everyone laughing. He finds out about this surgery and says “I’ll show them.” Everyone including his dad says “you’re insane, you’ll kill someone.” Then he befriends this sick person who turns out to be rich and funds his research. Then a montage of him cutting the heads off monkeys in his lab to You’re the Best by Joe Esposito and him dancing in celebration when he finally succeeds. Then the night before the surgery his dad apologizes and says I’m proud of you son. And right before the Anesthesia kicks in the patient says “I believe in you”

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Where does the 90% come from though?

Clincal trials on rats?  If it works 90% of the time then, his estimate isn't a lie.  Hopeful, yeah, but not a lie.

There is no way he can accurately give a percentage, this has never been done before.  He's not lying, he's guessing/estimating/speculating.

Then it is an extremely poor estimation.  As recently as May, all I found is partial recovery of motor function in some mice with severed spinal cords.  Successfully repairing severed spinal cords in humans should be accomplished long before any head transplant takes place.

And even then, mice are a completely different story.  You can remove the entire frontal lobe of a mouse and still be left with a creature that crawls around and sniffs out food.

Im not the only one skeptical of these two doctors, there are plenty of people a lot smarter than me that don't even think this is a legitimate medical procedure.

Im no expert, but I have not seen any scientific peer reviewed papers that suggest this operation is close to becoming feasible, much less carry a 90% success rate.  If you have access to some, then please share them with me because I am very interested in reading them.

Archived