Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

Jets activated Aaron Rodgers (Achilles) from injured reserve.
Rodgers will be placed on the team’s 53-player roster so he can continue practicing for some reason. Rodgers won’t return to the field after suffering an Achilles injury in Week 1 and pledging to play again in 2023. The Jets have been eliminated from postseason contention, forcing Rodgers to admit he’s not close to 100 percent recovered from the Achilles tear after months of saying otherwise. Rodgers said Tuesday that he plans to play well into his 40s, and that 2024 won’t be his final NFL season. Jets head coach Robert Saleh said Rodgers could play up to five more seasons in the NFL. Rodgers has advocated for his buddy Nathaniel Hackett to keep his job as Jets offensive coordinator, along with Saleh. Garrett Wilson should be a top-10 fantasy option next season if Rodgers returns at full health.

I had a feeling we will be running this same staff all over again. I don't think anyone gets fired and the Jets give everyone a free pass because AR went down early. I do think AR will be a Jet for 3 more years if his body can take it. I think the Jets spend big on OL guys and bank on AR being here for 2 if not 3 more years. 

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:
Jets activated Aaron Rodgers (Achilles) from injured reserve.
Rodgers will be placed on the team’s 53-player roster so he can continue practicing for some reason. Rodgers won’t return to the field after suffering an Achilles injury in Week 1 and pledging to play again in 2023. The Jets have been eliminated from postseason contention, forcing Rodgers to admit he’s not close to 100 percent recovered from the Achilles tear after months of saying otherwise. Rodgers said Tuesday that he plans to play well into his 40s, and that 2024 won’t be his final NFL season. Jets head coach Robert Saleh said Rodgers could play up to five more seasons in the NFL. Rodgers has advocated for his buddy Nathaniel Hackett to keep his job as Jets offensive coordinator, along with Saleh. Garrett Wilson should be a top-10 fantasy option next season if Rodgers returns at full health.

I had a feeling we will be running this same staff all over again. I don't think anyone gets fired and the Jets give everyone a free pass because AR went down early. I do think AR will be a Jet for 3 more years if his body can take it. I think the Jets spend big on OL guys and bank on AR being here for 2 if not 3 more years. 

Nope. I hope the OL coach gets fired though, he is garbage.  Rodgers made it clear that Douglas, Saleh, and Hackett will be back and that it'll look different when hes at QB next season. 

We need to land a franchise LT. 

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

Nope. I hope the OL coach gets fired though, he is garbage.  Rodgers made it clear that Douglas, Saleh, and Hackett will be back and that it'll look different when hes at QB next season. 

We need to land a franchise LT. 

I agree. I think Keith Carter is the OL coach and he should be fired. I would love to see Nick Mangold come in as the OL coach. :)

On 12/19/2023 at 12:08 PM, ekill08x said:

We probably get a 4 for him and a better coach has him playing decent ball. He definitively has issues processing and his pocket awareness is horrible but he can throw for sure. We have the worst OC in the game and the worst assembled OL I have ever seen. Taking Becton over Wirfs was such a whiff. That guy isn't playable. He also isnt a LT. His skill set is for RT at best and hes really a mediocre swing at this stage. He wont be back we will definitely move on. 

If we could get a FOURTH-round pick for Zach Wilson, that would be the steal of the century.

One thing NFL teams need to stop doing is drafting quarterbacks almost solely based on arm strength/arm ability. It is important, but it is also meaningless without some of the other things quarterbacks need to survive/thrive in the pros. You casually mentioned two of them: processing information and pocket awareness. Honestly, it really does not matter if you can throw like Michael Vick or Randell Cunningham if you have those two issues. And that is exactly what we are seeing play out in the NFL with our failed No. 2 overall pick.

Yes, we have a terrible OC. But let's stop drafting quarterbacks thinking we can correct their flaws. Hey, here is a novel idea: draft a quarterback without those critical flaws. You don't need a franchise QB to win. You don't need a HOFer. But you do need someone who knows what he is doing under center. Call it intangibles, call it football IQ, call it the mental aspect of the position, whatever. Our guy has none of that, so basically he is 100% dependent on his OC, his QB coach and the system for success. 

Why do you think Aaron Rodgers is so confident that next year will be different with Hackett? Because Aaron Rodgers does not need anyone to be great. And yes, I agree that there is a huge difference between a failed No. 2 overall pick and one of the greatest QBs of all time. But there are plenty of QBs who are not on Rodgers' level who can succeed regardless of who their OC is, or their offensive HC. They may be better with one, less great with another, but at least they are playable overall. Zach Wilson is not playable. 

Both Tua Taigovailoa and Brock Purdy have terrible arms if we compare them to Zach Wilson. But are the Dolphins and/or 49ers winning ANYTHING with Zach Wilson under center this season? 8-9, 7-10, maybe. Nothing close to what those two guys are doing. Because let's not forget, Wilson actually has a lot of things going for him with this team. Sure, the O-line has been a disaster. But many people have pointed out that many teams just keep going when they lose O-linemen. And people talk about how Purdy has weapons and Tua has the best WR duo in the NFL (maybe Purdy's is second), but Wilson's arm and Garrett Wilson's talent, Breece Hall's running ability and the team's defense (which in my opinion is on par with SF's, since it is essentially the same defense, and is better than Miami's IMO) should be enough to be able to score a few TDs here or there. If Zach Wilson could have generated one TD per game on average, this season would have been radically different.

So no, I am not too worried that we are going to trade Wilson and he will turn into a great quarterback. It would be very Jets-like if he did, but Sam Darnold is an NFL backup and Geno Smith (after a career year last season) is back to normal this year. He is a stopgap, but not Seattle's future at QB imo. Wilson has more natural arm talent than both of those guys, but his mental game is among the worst I have ever seen at the position. 

Send him to Minnesota or wherever and good riddance.

On the issue of Aaron Rodgers wanting to run everything back, unfortunately for him it is not really his call. Unless it was negotiated when the brass went to California that Rodgers has first say on management and coaching decisions, our owner can still decide to start over with a new regime. This regime has run its course. New thinkers and new blood is desperately needed within the organization. That would probably ruffle Rodgers' feathers, but who cares?

If we lose our next three, that would make 9 out of the last 10 games with a loss. AND, Saleh is starting to lose his case to remain the head coach too. Two of those losses in the last five weeks were against Miami, and we lost by a total score of 64-13. We also lost to Buffalo recently by a score of 32-6. It is one thing to lose 13-8 or 16-12. Those are not only normal for this group, but even expected. But when teams start putting up 30+ points on our defense, that starts to raise more questions. Especially when it is against divisional opponents. 

Look, do I believe that this team can compete with Miami and Buffalo with Aaron Rodgers? Yes. But am I confident that Robert Saleh can lead this team to a division title next season? Nope, I have lost all faith in him as the HC. And I have also lost faith in the GM, who has always been overrated by Jets fan in my humble opinion and whose blind spots at QB and the O-line are way too big to ignore further.

If I was owner of this team, I would call Aaron Rodgers' bluff. I would sit down and talk to him. I would tell him we are going to clean house and start over. If he wants to be part of it, he can quarterback this team for as long as he wants to keep playing. He can even have a say in who we hire. We just can't keep these guys. Douglas, Saleh, Hackett, Carter (O-line coach) and especially Zach Wilson all have to go. I am indifferent toward Ulbrich, the special teams and the rest of the staff.

But, at this point, I would almost prefer going back to the irrelevant Jets. Because a Jets team with sky-high expectations is somehow worse. At least the irrelevant Jets are not constantly in the news. Not constantly on prime time. And not as much as a joke. 

12 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

We can fire all the position coaches on offense. WR coach might be the only one with an argument only because our QBs couldn't get the ball out. lol 

I would even say that the WRs coach has done a nice job with a pair of undrafted free agents this season.

Lets just call it as it is, OC is only keeping his job because of A.R., same can be said of Saleh. J.D. for all the good he's done has had some colossal "non moves" and some terrible FA signings especially on the O. 

He keeps his job this year and is on the hot seat next year if he doesn't hit it out of the park with a rebuilt OL and perhaps another WR to compliment Wilson.

The OL coach worked with what he had, week in, week out, another new face, we can't put our finger on the scale in order to justify our disappointment in OL play.

WR coach to be fair had nothing to work with but a slow, cement handed WR in Lazard, and another A.R. buddy who couldn't even get on the field. The T.E.'s were not used effectively despite the fact that they are 2 of the better players when catching the ball and gaining YAC. 

So, should you like it, agree with it, or not, A.R. is calling the shots and the Jets ownership is all in. Let's all hope A.R. remains healthy next year, but should the fiasco which happened game one repeats itself.

Woody will be forced to blow it all up once again and bring in all new people, head to toe.

18 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

On the issue of Aaron Rodgers wanting to run everything back, unfortunately for him it is not really his call. Unless it was negotiated when the brass went to California that Rodgers has first say on management and coaching decisions, our owner can still decide to start over with a new regime. This regime has run its course. New thinkers and new blood is desperately needed within the organization. That would probably ruffle Rodgers' feathers, but who cares?

If we lose our next three, that would make 9 out of the last 10 games with a loss. AND, Saleh is starting to lose his case to remain the head coach too. Two of those losses in the last five weeks were against Miami, and we lost by a total score of 64-13. We also lost to Buffalo recently by a score of 32-6. It is one thing to lose 13-8 or 16-12. Those are not only normal for this group, but even expected. But when teams start putting up 30+ points on our defense, that starts to raise more questions. Especially when it is against divisional opponents. 

Look, do I believe that this team can compete with Miami and Buffalo with Aaron Rodgers? Yes. But am I confident that Robert Saleh can lead this team to a division title next season? Nope, I have lost all faith in him as the HC. And I have also lost faith in the GM, who has always been overrated by Jets fan in my humble opinion and whose blind spots at QB and the O-line are way too big to ignore further.

If I was owner of this team, I would call Aaron Rodgers' bluff. I would sit down and talk to him. I would tell him we are going to clean house and start over. If he wants to be part of it, he can quarterback this team for as long as he wants to keep playing. He can even have a say in who we hire. We just can't keep these guys. Douglas, Saleh, Hackett, Carter (O-line coach) and especially Zach Wilson all have to go. I am indifferent toward Ulbrich, the special teams and the rest of the staff.

But, at this point, I would almost prefer going back to the irrelevant Jets. Because a Jets team with sky-high expectations is somehow worse. At least the irrelevant Jets are not constantly in the news. Not constantly on prime time. And not as much as a joke. 

Oh God not again. I think this makes like 12 of the last 13 years now we have done this. What makes you think this will work again? I think you give these guys one more year because this team is down right terrible at rebuilds. I think you stick with AR no matter what because this team can't rebuild. If Saleh goes that means Hackett goes and we all know that will not happen. There are some rumors that Mike Tomlin might get fired or traded. I did read that him and AR have a good relationship together. So if something like that happens I can see AR going along with that. 

11 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Oh God not again. I think this makes like 12 of the last 13 years now we have done this. What makes you think this will work again? I think you give these guys one more year because this team is down right terrible at rebuilds. I think you stick with AR no matter what because this team can't rebuild. If Saleh goes that means Hackett goes and we all know that will not happen. There are some rumors that Mike Tomlin might get fired or traded. I did read that him and AR have a good relationship together. So if something like that happens I can see AR going along with that. 

I think the main point here is that a team that has underachieved as badly as this team has this season should have OPTIONS. I don't believe that Aaron Rodgers, as great as he is, should be enough reason to bring people back that have simply NOT done the job this year. 

Again, the Johnsons should speak to Rodgers. See what his "demands" actually are. Where is he flexible. If he says Hackett MUST be part of the Jets, demote him to QB coach. He still gets to spend every day with Rodgers. He still gets to work with Rodgers, etc. OR, fire Saleh, hire an offensive head coach who actually calls plays. Then Hackett can keep his job. Green Bay was successful because there was someone in between Rodgers and Hackett calling the plays.  

And I don't think Rodgers has said anything about Douglas, has he? We should look into finding new blood, someone with new ideas about building up this roster. And hire one of the top OCs with head coaching potential. Personally, I like Brian Johnson of the Eagles and Eric Bieniemy of Washington. There are others.

As far as Tomlin is concerned, he probably gets traded for a first round pick. I'm not doing that, because I don't even want to spend a first to get Davante Adams, and he is actually ON the field. At most, swapping firsts could work but I don't think it makes sense for either the Steelers or Raiders to swap firsts with us.

Bottom line, running it back with everybody is a TERRIBLE idea! And if Aaron Rodgers wants Zach Wilson back as his backup, then we should get rid of Rodgers too! 

We are in a dire need for a top WRs. Just to show you how bad that trade was with GB Packers

Lazard      23 catches for 311 yards 2 TD's in 13 games. For anybody who doesn't have a compute that is less than 2 catches a game.

Cobb         4 catches for 34 yards.

Hardman    1 catch for six yards   in six games. We shipped him back to K.C.

This is almost as bad as our O line

19 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I would even say that the WRs coach has done a nice job with a pair of undrafted free agents this season.

Yeah, his job can be debated. If he was let go, I don't think anyone would be mad about it. I wouldn't mind keeping him, but it doesn't matter to me at this point. We're likely going to add another good WR this offseason anyway. Wilson could hit 1,000 again with horrible QB play and no threat on the other side of him. That's amazing to me. I think he'll hit 1700+ if Rodgers is a top-12 QB next season.