Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

8 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Zach plays like this for the rest of the year the Jets should get an okay pick for him. I guess my question to the board is if Zach balls out and wins the rest of the games like this do you keep him?

I think it should be based on the offers we get. If we get offered something good, trade him. If not, we hold him. If this does happen, I can see us having a challenge with deciding how much we should resign him for. He has 1 more year on his contract and if he ends up sitting behind Rodgers, it will make it even tougher. 

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Zach plays like this for the rest of the year the Jets should get an okay pick for him. I guess my question to the board is if Zach balls out and wins the rest of the games like this do you keep him?

If he throws for 250+ per game with multiple TDS and no picks each week from here on our we probably finish 9-8. 

In that spot, you can't trade him. Not unless someone's offering a lot.

If he averages something like 225yd 68% 2td 1int the rest of the way and you can get a second for him it may be worth it depending on what guys like Rodgers and Saleh see daily. Did he turn a corner or is he just getting lucky?

Today he had some absolutely brilliant throws out there. But this Texans d is notorious for making QBs look good soooooo HUGE grain of salt.

I think this game (deservedly) saves JD. Garrett, Breece, Sauce, Huff, the Williams bros all showed up this game. Yeah our OL is in shambles and we whiffed on Zach, but he's not Nostradamus. Injuries happen and bringing on AR and friends tanked our depth - which wasn't a bad move because our season will always live or die by AR.

But back to my point, he's brought in some real young studs to build around which is more than any other GM has done for us in the last 10 years.

The problem is Zach will have a 4TO game in Cleveland on short rest. So even if he plays well and they beat Miami, the Cleveland game is not winnable barring 5 more injured Brown QBs. Even then, they’ll lose 3-0. You judge Zach based on the Miami and NE games. Win those games (and Commanders) and they may be able to get a Trey Lance type of deal.

19 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I go for the pick. Not going to work out long term with him and Saleh. I think Saleh has had his hands tied on quite a few things/decisions and isn’t coaching to his full ability. That’s a reason to keep him and hope he gets over the hump with Rodgers but I think that’s also a reason to get rid of him. Neither Saleh or Wilson will reach their potential with this situation. 

6 hours ago, doumeyer said:

yes

Zach closes out the season on. 5-0 streak averaging a 75% completion rate, 300 ypg 10 tds and zero picks and you are trading him?(I'm not suggesting he will finish with that, just that s how the question is framed).Dare I ask what return you'd be basing that decision on?

1 hour ago, drew39k said:

Zach closes out the season on. 5-0 streak averaging a 75% completion rate, 300 ypg 10 tds and zero picks and you are trading him?(I'm not suggesting he will finish with that, just that s how the question is framed).Dare I ask what return you'd be basing that decision on?

Does he fetch a first in that case?

But really, I definitely say keep him at the point - and whoever was whispering into his ear for those games.

You have to trade Zach because they are not going to resign him unless Rogers gets injured again and he takes over in '24 and delivers. This is the stretch. Win the Miami game. Win the Commanders game... roll the dice with Rogers in Cleveland? I don't think you want to feature Zach in that Cleveland game, but a mobile QB could be an upgrade over Rogers.

If Zach beats Miami and Wash, things get really, REALLY interesting, if Rogers is healthy. It's unfortunate the Miami game is this week and not next week as BT stated on WFAN yesterday. 

Zach can ball out, throw 50 TD's with no INT's the rest of the season and the Jets make the playoffs.

His clock has run out in N.Y., rumor has it, that a trade is already in place and he is gone for a 5th rounder. 

The Jets are not going to pay 23 million dollars to a back up to A.R., there are FA QB's that will be available when you consider what will have to be paid who can be had for on the cheaper end of the pay scale.

Zach is a likable individual and could develop into a very good qb, we have all seen the flashes, but the Jets have attached themselves to the A.R. train for better or for worse. So far its been a train wreck.

So the real question is can the Jets afford to close their eyes to the QB's coming out, hang all their hopes on a 40 yr old QB without considering the future going into the draft?

A.R. goes down again, even with a capable back up QB, do the Jets want to go down that road?

I say no, if the franchise believes that they can get a QB, something they haven't had in decades, then they have to go for it. The Jets are in a precarious position of having guys under the first year contracts, they are a win now team. 

If they are to make any noise with or without A.R. they cannot squander a 1st rounder on an OT, YES, YES, YES, they need an OT desperately. But what good is an OT even a pro bowl calibre one on a team with no QB?

This years draft is deep in OT, even going into the 3rd round, but if you pass on a qb and he turns out, like Mahomes, Wilson, and Prescott, then its on the team, and our GM's in times past have done just that.

So if we're moving on from Zach, and we are, there had better be a plan in place for the future that doesn't include A.R.

45 minutes ago, Big T said:

Zach can ball out, throw 50 TD's with no INT's the rest of the season and the Jets make the playoffs.

His clock has run out in N.Y., rumor has it, that a trade is already in place and he is gone for a 5th rounder. 

The Jets are not going to pay 23 million dollars to a back up to A.R., there are FA QB's that will be available when you consider what will have to be paid who can be had for on the cheaper end of the pay scale.

I'm sorry but this take is absolutely absurd for a whole litany of reasons. 

If ZW were to catch fire and throw for even 5 TDS(20 tds, 29 td 8 int season) a game to close out the season on a 5 game win streak the Jets aren't trading him for a 5th round pick.

At even the 5 td a game mark let alone 50 tds, you'd have no choice but to tell Rodgers he is riding the pine as it would suggest that not only did Zach turn a corner but blossomed into SUPER Mahommes. You can't trade that. 

More realistically, the Texans game was an outlier and he goes back to struggling to hit 200 yds a game with a 1/1 TD int ratio. That's the kind of production that makes him easy to cut bait and trade for nothing. 

Also, the rumour that they already worked out a trade is, well, a bad rumour. Maybe this is a case of telephone, but teams don't work out trades midseason for the off season. The only part of that rumor that could have any validity is that the jets told Wilson they intended to trade him during the discussion about benching and demoting him to third string. This would have come up because Zach would have asked for his release and the team would have declined the release due to the belief they COULD get a 5th for him in the off-season. Not that they already worked out and agreed to a trade months before the off-season even begins.

8 hours ago, drew39k said:

I'm sorry but this take is absolutely absurd for a whole litany of reasons. 

If ZW were to catch fire and throw for even 5 TDS(20 tds, 29 td 8 int season) a game to close out the season on a 5 game win streak the Jets aren't trading him for a 5th round pick.

At even the 5 td a game mark let alone 50 tds, you'd have no choice but to tell Rodgers he is riding the pine as it would suggest that not only did Zach turn a corner but blossomed into SUPER Mahommes. You can't trade that. 

More realistically, the Texans game was an outlier and he goes back to struggling to hit 200 yds a game with a 1/1 TD int ratio. That's the kind of production that makes him easy to cut bait and trade for nothing. 

Also, the rumour that they already worked out a trade is, well, a bad rumour. Maybe this is a case of telephone, but teams don't work out trades midseason for the off season. The only part of that rumor that could have any validity is that the jets told Wilson they intended to trade him during the discussion about benching and demoting him to third string. This would have come up because Zach would have asked for his release and the team would have declined the release due to the belief they COULD get a 5th for him in the off-season. Not that they already worked out and agreed to a trade months before the off-season even begins.

23 million to ride the bench, sorry, but you're on another plane all together. Saleh is an open book, someone is leaking info. Otherwise AR would not have said anything, leaks have been on going, and AR for one doesn't like it. 

Zach will not be a Jet next year WHATEVER the draft capitol the Jets receive in return.

15 hours ago, Big T said:

23 million to ride the bench, sorry, but you're on another plane all together. Saleh is an open book, someone is leaking info. Otherwise AR would not have said anything, leaks have been on going, and AR for one doesn't like it. 

Zach will not be a Jet next year WHATEVER the draft capitol the Jets receive in return.

23 million to ride the bench?  Next year is his 4th year. It's like 11 million.  If he rolled of 5 straight 300 yd 5 TD games(would never happen but it's the bar you set) they are keeping him if a team doesn't way overpay in trade. 

I think you are trying to refer to the cost of the 5th year option. They wouldn't pick that up unless something like 5 300 yd three td games or better happened. 

Realistically, if he performed well as the initial question stated, the correct move would be to decline the option and give him the Jordan Love deal as a bridge contract. Nothing close to 23 million per year. 

It's all pretty moot since he isn't going to put up 300 yds and 2+ tds the rest of the way but I'm so tired of rash illogical arguments that accomplish nothing other than set the franchise back time and time again. Cutting bait on a guy that throws "50 yds and zero ints" in 4 games is beyond illogical. If Mike white did that you'd be pushing him to Canton....