Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

First, the very first indication that there is a problem with the coaching is the lack of discipline. The Jets are a penalty machine. The Jets shoot themselves in the foot every game. 

Be it on offense, with off sides, holding, etc. The same holds true on defense, I should say especially on defense. 

Roughing the passer, unsportsmanlike contact, holding, offsides, fighting, it goes on and on, say what you will, but it's painfully obvious that there is a discipline problem hurting the Jets.

The thing is, the penalties occur at the most inopportune times, generally when they are moving the ball, or within scoring position and when the d has them pinned on the offensive side of the field.

So if you don't have the discipline, and you can only muster 2 FG's a game, the dysfunction of the team is magnified. 

Robert Saleh is a good motivator, but he coaches scared, and if your really watching, Saleh is being out coached.

There is enough blame to go around, 1 year removed from the greatest draft in Jets history, JD whom I absolutely think should not lose his job.

I have to admit has been asleep at the wheel, and much of the talent amassed this year has been dismal if not out and out terrible. But I lay part of that blame on the Rodgers effect, it is because of Rodgers that the Jets will get a pass this year. 

But be assured of this, when Rodgers returns, JD had better field a top OL, not to mention some real talent on offense. 

The Defense will be just fine.

7 hours ago, doumeyer said:

It was just 1 day ago i was talking about all the good and great young QB's who have come into the NFL the last five or six years, and what happen another young QB,shows up who the **** is Jake Browing, he was 32 for 37 for 354 yards 1 TD 0 int for the Bengals. And after our fifth straight lost, we score a total of 45 points in five games, for anybody who doesn't have a calculator that's 9 points a game. who are we going to beat scoring 9 points a game, maybe the Giants. And yet game after game year after year we keep parading the same collection of clowns at QB.

If I sound jealous you bet I am I was 14 years old when we drafted Joe Namath, and it has been 60 years since we drafted a QB who could take us to another SB.

Dude, the issue isn't QB. You could put Pat Mahommes in this offense and it isn't doing much. 

The idea of a miracle QB cure all is the single biggest reason why this team continues to fail. Year in and year out fans clamor for some new QB, the team bends and uses all their capital on said QB, burning resources that could have been used to build a functional supporting team that would allow a QB the time and chances to flourish.

Repeating this same, dumb, ineffective process is only pushing any chance of stability further down the road. 

Until this team figures out a blocking scheme that actually works, finds an OC that lasts more than one season and some pass catchers that can catch the ball, the QB won't matter. Get that stuff in place, then draft a guy.

This off-season needs to be about making the offensive game easy for the QB. 

14 minutes ago, Big T said:

First, the very first indication that there is a problem with the coaching is the lack of discipline. The Jets are a penalty machine. The Jets shoot themselves in the foot every game. 

Be it on offense, with off sides, holding, etc. The same holds true on defense, I should say especially on defense. 

Roughing the passer, unsportsmanlike contact, holding, offsides, fighting, it goes on and on, say what you will, but it's painfully obvious that there is a discipline problem hurting the Jets.

The thing is, the penalties occur at the most inopportune times, generally when they are moving the ball, or within scoring position and when the d has them pinned on the offensive side of the field.

The refs have been screwing us more than we've been actually committing penalties. Just last game, there were 3 calls in the first half that were complete BS, including one that took away an interception.

Also, this is the NFL. The players at the level shouldn't have to be reminded to not commit penalties.

33 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

The refs have been screwing us more than we've been actually committing penalties. Just last game, there were 3 calls in the first half that were complete BS, including one that took away an interception.

Also, this is the NFL. The players at the level shouldn't have to be reminded to not commit penalties.

And to piggy back onto this, losing creates sloppiness.  No amount of motivations will cure that.  Only winning will.

2 hours ago, Big T said:

So if you don't have the discipline, and you can only muster 2 FG's a game, the dysfunction of the team is magnified. 

Robert Saleh is a good motivator, but he coaches scared, and if your really watching, Saleh is being out coached.

There is enough blame to go around, 1 year removed from the greatest draft in Jets history, JD whom I absolutely think should not lose his job.

I have to admit has been asleep at the wheel, and much of the talent amassed this year has been dismal if not out and out terrible. But I lay part of that blame on the Rodgers effect, it is because of Rodgers that the Jets will get a pass this year. 

But be assured of this, when Rodgers returns, JD had better field a top OL, not to mention some real talent on offense. 

The Defense will be just fine.

No one is getting fired this year. They will go into 2024 as lame ducks and Douglas and Saleh will both be fired in about a years time 

Brett Rypien starting this week?

this team is so poorly run. We are now releasing the QB we benched Zach Wilson for (I assume to save the season) and chose to start over Siemian who has at least had some level of success and playing time in the NFL. These guys are clueless when it comes to QB. Probably why Rodgers was so attractive to them.

Edited by GangGreen420

31 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Say what you want about the nepotism, but Rodger's is a good teammate and locker room presence.

I agree. We need more Rodger type guys here. I heard a story that Marshan Lynch told. Lynch said when he went to Cal he was way down on the depth chart as a RB. Then one day as a freshman the coach yelled Lynch get in as RB1. Lynch got the ball and ran the wrong way causing Rodegrs to hand the ball off backwards. The coach got all over Lynch. Rodgers stepped in and said coach that was my fault, even tho it was not, he took the blame. That shows you what Rodgers is like. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I agree. We need more Rodger type guys here. I heard a story that Marshan Lynch told. Lynch said when he went to Cal he was way down on the depth chart as a RB. Then one day as a freshman the coach yelled Lynch get in as RB1. Lynch got the ball and ran the wrong way causing Rodegrs to hand the ball off backwards. The coach got all over Lynch. Rodgers stepped in and said coach that was my fault, even tho it was not, he took the blame. That shows you what Rodgers is like. 

Maybe they can sign Lynch and Sherman this offseason too. That will start to turn things around for them.

We can't run this thing back. This thing is beyond reparable. We have a head coach who is great at defense, clueless as a head man. We have a GM who leaves holes on the roster that cannot be fixed internally, who has drafted well except the most important position and whose overall record is awful. And we have an offensive coordinator who is in charge of a historically bad unit. I don't know who is in charge of the offensive line, but that guy has to go too. And our "saviour" of a QB is 40. So, running it back and hoping Rodgers can wear the cape is just foolish at best at this point. We have to assume something will go wrong because we are the Jets and something always goes wrong.

We still have to make people accountable. We are in the midst of a five-game losing streak with no end in sight. How can you NOT want change at this point? How can we run this thing back? We are already a laughingstock in this league. Don't make things even more meme-worthy than they already are.

I would rather start completely fresh even it meant Rodgers leaves. Besides, Rodgers has no leverage here. Where is he going to go (if we fire everybody including Hackett, and get rid of his boys)? Who in their right mind would hire Hackett to be anything more than a QB coach?

We can't continue down this path. If Rodgers wants to play for us, he can do so for the rest of his contract. His "boys" will be Wilson (the good one), Hall and Gardner. The offense will be competent (because we will be hiring someone smart). The defense may take a step back without Saleh, but maybe not. I don't know Ulbrich's status. He may stay, he might be part of the purge. Either way, we still have great defensive players. We should be OK there.

The offense needs major open-heart surgery, Rodgers or no Rodgers.

2 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

. So, running it back and hoping Rodgers can wear the cape is just foolish at best at this point. We have to assume something will go wrong because we are the Jets and something always goes wrong.

It’s completely the wrong thing to do because the coaches are bad and the roster isn’t as strong as everyone said it was. But they are definitely going to do it so I’ve just accepted it. They will scapegoat someone, the offensive line coach or someone like that, but Saleh, Douglas, and Rodgers will be in the twilight of their Jets careers this time next year. 

and I’ll laugh at the media as they try to build the hype around this team again in the offseason. This team wasn’t a contender this year even with Rodgers.