Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

Just now, GangGreen420 said:

Well the GM has a worse winning % than Mike Macagnan, probably a good place to start 

After 3 years, OL remains unresolved.    Enough is enough.

To add the insult to his woe, after he and his men leaving Eagles, Howie the cap guru had assembled the team really well.

10 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

We are a QB and OL away from a complete team. If Rodger's plays next season, we are pretty much there, if not, then we are only as close to competing as we are in having a capable QB - so 1, 2 or 20 years away.

We are fifty years away from having another Joe Namath for our QB, how much longer do you want me to wait, I am running out of time.

33 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Well the GM has a worse winning % than Mike Macagnan, probably a good place to start 

While I agree with you JD has had his fair share of blown opportunities, he has also made some great pickups in JFM and the "other" Williams brother, just to name a few, his FA pickups haven't worked out for the most part. But he has a good track record with UDFA.

He has used 2 number 1 draft picks on the OL, but when drafting who could know injuries could play such a big part in the OL woes, and Tippmann looks like and plays like the real deal.

If injuries don't set the OL back AR is still playing today. Becton sadly is a casualty going into next season, his health cannot be relied upon and lets hope AVT's injuries (2 years running now) are an anomaly.

Most of the guy's JD have drafted are still on the team or playing elsewhere, as for the Macagnan comparison, it actually goes back to Idzik between the two of them they set the Jets back a decade with their poor choices and terrible draft picks.

JD turned the Jets D into one of the most elite in football and on offense added a potential all pro in Wilson and Hall. 

So yes JD has made his mistakes, the greatest being not bringing in an established QB after AR went down.

Make no mistake about it, if JD is cut loose, he will be gobbled up by a team who can appreciate his process. 

The Jets need to add a OT in the draft, and as they continue to lose they will get one of the best of them, perhaps they have to double dip and bring in 2. 

But letting go of one of the better GM's is not the answer, granted he hired Saleh, and allowed Saleh a free hand to bring in his people. I believe that was a mistake and after 1 year the OC was let go. 

JD is trying to win and put together a winning team, he's hit it out of the part on D, but I believe 2023 JD listened too much to AR and brought in his people and all of them have been a disaster. From Lazard to Cobb, to Hackett and RB D.Cook.

All guy's AR wanted, he got them, and they have failed miserably. 

So given the state of the Jets, the OL, the WR room, the RB room, for the most part its the O that is killing the Jets. Will AR be the difference maker? No one knows, but obviously he will make them lightyears better on O.

So look for JD to get at least one more year to shore up the OL especially in the draft, cut the dead wood and lets see what this team can do with a healthy OL.

9 different combinations of practice squad players and vets don't cut it, that is why we have OTA's, and preseasons to build up chemistry. 

The OL has none.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ekill08x said:

We overrated this team. It was never a QB away from a super bowl contender. Something has to change here.

Everyone overrated this team including the media.  So many thought we were a QB away but failed to truly examine the rest of the O.  Many assumed the OL would be OK.  Many wanted to believe Becton would be a good OT and stay healthy.  Many wanted to believe Brown playing through an injury was the reason for his poor play.  Many wanted to believe Tomlinson would look like the 49's Tomlinson instead of how he has always looked.  Many wanted to believe AVT would stay healthy and play at an all-pro level.  Many wanted to believe Mitchell could make a leap and Tippmann would be an all-pro as a rookie.  Many wanted to believe Davis, Wilson and Hardman/Cobb/Lazard would make a formidable WR corp.

Reality is a *****.

39 minutes ago, xrade said:

Everyone overrated this team including the media.  So many thought we were a QB away but failed to truly examine the rest of the O.  Many assumed the OL would be OK.  Many wanted to believe Becton would be a good OT and stay healthy.  Many wanted to believe Brown playing through an injury was the reason for his poor play.  Many wanted to believe Tomlinson would look like the 49's Tomlinson instead of how he has always looked.  Many wanted to believe AVT would stay healthy and play at an all-pro level.  Many wanted to believe Mitchell could make a leap and Tippmann would be an all-pro as a rookie.  Many wanted to believe Davis, Wilson and Hardman/Cobb/Lazard would make a formidable WR corp.

Reality is a *****.

I think the most insane is we are playing with only one WR G Wilson. How did this happen, sure Mims & E. Moore both failed. I think we wasted too much time with this Rodgers, deal, this Pat Mcfee, and the GM from Green Bay, everything stop for over two months, when we should have tried to pick other players. All our money was also tied us is this Rodgers deal. The bottom line is we sold out in the Rodgers deal .

I don't have any proof but i feel the Johnson bros were the ones who were behind this Rodgers deal. 

Edited by doumeyer

5 hours ago, Big T said:

While I agree with you JD has had his fair share of blown opportunities, he has also made some great pickups in JFM and the "other" Williams brother, just to name a few, his FA pickups haven't worked out for the most part. But he has a good track record with UDFA.

He has used 2 number 1 draft picks on the OL, but when drafting who could know injuries could play such a big part in the OL woes, and Tippmann looks like and plays like the real deal.

If injuries don't set the OL back AR is still playing today. Becton sadly is a casualty going into next season, his health cannot be relied upon and lets hope AVT's injuries (2 years running now) are an anomaly.

Most of the guy's JD have drafted are still on the team or playing elsewhere, as for the Macagnan comparison, it actually goes back to Idzik between the two of them they set the Jets back a decade with their poor choices and terrible draft picks.

JD turned the Jets D into one of the most elite in football and on offense added a potential all pro in Wilson and Hall. 

So yes JD has made his mistakes, the greatest being not bringing in an established QB after AR went down.

Make no mistake about it, if JD is cut loose, he will be gobbled up by a team who can appreciate his process. 

The Jets need to add a OT in the draft, and as they continue to lose they will get one of the best of them, perhaps they have to double dip and bring in 2. 

But letting go of one of the better GM's is not the answer, granted he hired Saleh, and allowed Saleh a free hand to bring in his people. I believe that was a mistake and after 1 year the OC was let go. 

JD is trying to win and put together a winning team, he's hit it out of the part on D, but I believe 2023 JD listened too much to AR and brought in his people and all of them have been a disaster. From Lazard to Cobb, to Hackett and RB D.Cook.

So given the state of the Jets, the OL, the WR room, the RB room, for the most part its the O that is killing the Jets. Will AR be the difference maker? No one knows, but obviously he will make them lightyears better on O.

So look for JD to get at least one more year to shore up the OL especially in the draft, cut the dead wood and lets see what this team can do with a healthy OL.

9 different combinations of practice squad players and vets don't cut it, that is why we have OTA's, and preseasons to build up chemistry. 

The OL has none.

Thank you! While I don't agree Saleh is the problem here for many of the same reasons I don't think JD is, this is exactly how I've felt.

JD did address our lack of QB talent and has been addressing our OL early and often. Unfortunately, he can't anticipate injuries (6 different OL have hit IR this season) and the constant churn has meant there hasn't been a chance for any of these guys to gel. If not for the crappy MetLife turf, we'd probably have two all pro OL spearheading our OL with AR behind them and none of this is an issue.

Looks like we will have 30 million in cap space as of 2024 but like everything else that could change. The only thing that is for sure we need two offensive lineman & two WR's in the draft or FA's. How Joe Douglas does it don't know.

I sure don't want to waste more money on another Carl Lawson or M. Becton, we would have been better off buying 6 Taylor Swift tickets for her European tour.

On 11/28/2023 at 9:48 AM, doumeyer said:

How did this happen

To be fair, Davis was supposed to man the X with Lazard/Cobb/Hardman in the slot.  I think a lot of us thought with AR at QB and a starting WR corp of Wilson, Davis, and the other three we would be pretty good.  Coupled with Hall/Cook at RB we all thought the O would be good.

Lets face it, besides Wilson, the other WR's would not nearly as bad with AR under C.

On 11/28/2023 at 8:11 AM, Big T said:

The OL has none.

He whiffed hard on Zach Wilson. If he brought in Rodgers guys, that’s on him. He had to sacrifice a ton to correct his Zach Wilson mistake. It falls on him.

There are makeshift offensive lines all over the league. We need to stop with this excuse. It goes back to the Sam Darnold days. We have a poor depth and a slew of injuries but we aren’t even the worst offensive line in the league. Depth is important. Injuries suck, but every team has them.

Aaron Rodgers didn’t get hurt because of the offensive line. He got hurt because he passed on the open read and decided to scramble and held the ball too long. Brown did what the play called for.

These guys are all getting another year because Woody really has no choice but to run it back. Our questions will be answered about whether or not Rodgers is the savior in 2024 if he stays healthy. If they don’t make the playoffs next year all three of them will be out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xrade said:

To be fair, Davis was supposed to man the X with Lazard/Cobb/Hardman in the slot.  I think a lot of us thought with AR at QB and a starting WR corp of Wilson, Davis, and the other three we would be pretty good.  Coupled with Hall/Cook at RB we all thought the O would be good.

Lets face it, besides Wilson, the other WR's would not nearly as bad with AR under C.

I totally forgot about Davis. He's actually a solid #2.

2 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

He whiffed hard on Zach Wilson. If he brought in Rodgers guys, that’s on him. He had to sacrifice a ton to correct his Zach Wilson mistake. It falls on him.

There are makeshift offensive lines all over the league. We need to stop with this excuse. It goes back to the Sam Darnold days. We have a poor depth and a slew of injuries but we aren’t even the worst offensive line in the league. Depth is important. Injuries suck, but every team has them.

Aaron Rodgers didn’t get hurt because of the offensive line. He got hurt because he passed on the open read and decided to scramble and held the ball too long. Brown did what the play called for.

These guys are all getting another year because Woody really has no choice but to run it back. Our questions will be answered about whether or not Rodgers is the savior in 2024 if he stays healthy. If they don’t make the playoffs next year all three of them will be out.

I am with you. Zach Wilson is still here only because of the GM, no one else. Even the HC can't stand playing him anymore and prefers to literally pilfer through the very bottom of the QB barrel (Tim Boyle and Trevor Siemian) instead of going back to Douglas's shiny draft pick. That says something.

I'm taking next year off if Zach Wilson is still on this football roster. And he very well might if we keep Joe Douglas as GM. Even Wilson's family members are probably pro-Tim Boyle at this point. 

So, I really don't think we can say with a straight face that Joe Douglas "addressed our lack of QB talent." Douglas would have run everything back with Zach Wilson had Woody Johnson not intervened and gone hard after Aaron Rodgers. And, Douglas refused to bring in a quality No. 2 QB just in case Rodgers went down. So, we had to sit through awful preseason games with Wilson. And just when we thought we had seen the last of him, down goes Rodgers after four snaps of the regular season. Typical Jets. The trade deadline came and went and quarterbacks were moved. Douglas kept the status quo because Zach Wilson is his guy. Him and his guy can go to the CFL for all I care. Just not here.

So, while I suppose Woody Johnson has no choice but to bring everybody back, somebody in this organization better resolve the backup QB/heir apparent to Aaron Rodgers questions this off-season. 

If the solution is a 40-year-old Rodgers playing half the time at Metlife Stadium, and his understudy is No. 2, I'm out. The definition of insanity is doing things over and over and over again and expecting different results.

I do remeber rumors not long ago that JD and Saleh did not want Zach Wilson but Woody said you better take Zach because he has a big arm and will put butts in the seats. I did not know what JD and Saleh wanted to do but I assume they wanted to trade down. JD was getting a ton of calls for the second pick that year. I think Woody is about 90% at fault for this team by telling people what to do instaed of letting the pros do it. 

7 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I do remeber rumors not long ago that JD and Saleh did not want Zach Wilson but Woody said you better take Zach because he has a big arm and will put butts in the seats. I did not know what JD and Saleh wanted to do but I assume they wanted to trade down. JD was getting a ton of calls for the second pick that year. I think Woody is about 90% at fault for this team by telling people what to do instaed of letting the pros do it. 

I think your post is the real truth, I said the same thing last week, the only problem is how do we prove it.

Edited by doumeyer