Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

11 hours ago, drew39k said:

Dude, the issue isn't QB. You could put Pat Mahommes in this offense and it isn't doing much. 

The idea of a miracle QB cure all is the single biggest reason why this team continues to fail. Year in and year out fans clamor for some new QB, the team bends and uses all their capital on said QB, burning resources that could have been used to build a functional supporting team that would allow a QB the time and chances to flourish.

Repeating this same, dumb, ineffective process is only pushing any chance of stability further down the road. 

Until this team figures out a blocking scheme that actually works, finds an OC that lasts more than one season and some pass catchers that can catch the ball, the QB won't matter. Get that stuff in place, then draft a guy.

This off-season needs to be about making the offensive game easy for the QB. 

Nobody on this board has been posting more about this horrible O line than me, and that is a fact. Also, all the QB.s on our roster are pure bush, Wilson can't even throw a check down pass. When Rodgers leaves in a year and a half, which will be June of 2025, then what do we do, we still won't have a top QB. This Rodgers deal could be a major disaster for the Jets franchise. Right now, the coaching staff is fractured except for the DC.

Edited by doumeyer

Let's be clear here, there is enough blame to go around. From the HC to the GM. 

Let's be clear here, Its a poorly run organization, even with the successes of JD, he is equally at fault for penny pinching and terrible signings. 

He is after all even after 4 years, a 4 year GM. JD has spent 2 first round picks on OL only to have them miss numerous or is that humorous years back to back. 

We can't fault him for that, but the WR is clearly his fault, the RB room is clearly his fault, not addressing the QB room after Rodgers goes down is clearly his fault, and now its come back in spades and bit him on the butt like a pit bull dog.

Clearly he is a fault for signing over the hill OL, who haven't played in a year, and the year prior played injured and was ineffectual. 

This is a team, that can't afford to draft players who can develop, they need plug and play instant starters.

The Jets did not draft Izzy A. to learn how to block, and make the excuse that once he learns the nuances of that and special teams he will be ready.

B.S. the guy was drafted because he's a home run threat every time he gets the ball, Saleh seems to have no control over who plays. 

Ruckert is sure to get "a single pass each game" what a waste of talent, the same holds true for Conklin, the guy should be getting 20 passes a game, WHO ELSE DO THEY HAVE?

Darn get some guys on the field who are a threat, do some trick plays, think outside the box, play street ball.

But don't look like the world has fallen down, when you have pieces you can use. 

Saleh, and Douglas and Hackett may bet a pass because of Rodgers, but you can't deny the egg on their faces.

11 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Nobody on this board has been posting more about this horrible O line than me, and that is a fact. Also, all the QB.s on our roster are pure bush, Wilson can't even throw a check down pass. When Rodgers leaves in a year and a half, which will be June of 2025, then what do we do, we still won't have a top QB. This Rodgers deal could be a major disaster for the Jets franchise. Right now, the coaching staff is fractured except for the DC.

Wilson couldn't throw a check down prior to this season. He has a fairly significant improvement in that part of his game this year. 

The missing QB after Rodgers leaves part is unfortunate, sure. It's also receipts coming due. They mortgaged the future on Sam Darnold, then rolled that mortgage into another larger debt with Zach Wilson. Then they took the combined debt and refinanced at a super high interest rate to get Aaron Rodgers. 

All of that equity should have and would have been better used on the supporting cast, but because we have knee jerk fans, and a soft owner, who bends to their fickle demands, the team just flushes future potential down the drain, chasing magic cure alls. 

If you want a QB in this draft to sit behind Rodgers, it's going to have to be a mid to late round guy. The team should probably even trade out of their top pick, even if a top wr or tackle are available (definitely if a top QB is available) to recoup draft picks and try to infuse talent at multiple spots on this team. 

2 hours ago, drew39k said:

Wilson couldn't throw a check down prior to this season. He has a fairly significant improvement in that part of his game this year. 

The missing QB after Rodgers leaves part is unfortunate, sure. It's also receipts coming due. They mortgaged the future on Sam Darnold, then rolled that mortgage into another larger debt with Zach Wilson. Then they took the combined debt and refinanced at a super high interest rate to get Aaron Rodgers. 

All of that equity should have and would have been better used on the supporting cast, but because we have knee jerk fans, and a soft owner, who bends to their fickle demands, the team just flushes future potential down the drain, chasing magic cure alls. 

If you want a QB in this draft to sit behind Rodgers, it's going to have to be a mid to late round guy. The team should probably even trade out of their top pick, even if a top wr or tackle are available (definitely if a top QB is available) to recoup draft picks and try to infuse talent at multiple spots on this team. 

I'm hoping we can trade down and get one of the guys who fall to the second. In my opinion, the gap between Caleb, Maye and second rounders like Penix Jr and Bo Nix has lessened a lot since the start of the season. But I totally get not wanting to draft a QB top 5 again. We do have a starting QB on roster, and hopefully we can get a decent #2 in FA, but we still need a young QB in wait (though getting Justin Fields might fill both those needs).

23 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Say what you want about the nepotism, but Rodger's is a good teammate and locker room presence.

Rodger's insistent that we get all of his buddies is part of the reason the offense is what it is! Wasted roster spot on a back up QB and wasted WR depth positions. 

1 hour ago, Malik said:

Rodger's insistent that we get all of his buddies is part of the reason the offense is what it is! Wasted roster spot on a back up QB and wasted WR depth positions. 

Why Rodgers and our FO butted heads. He thought he was bigger than the team and wanted to influence over roster decisions

49 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Back to Zach. Don’t understand why they don’t give Siemian a start. We are 0-3 with one offensive touchdown (the Breece Hall dump off) in ZWs last three starts. But trying to understand the Jets logic is fruitless labor.

Did you see Siemian? There's nothing there man. 4 drives, three fumbles, no upside 

Playing Siemian at this stage is pointless not only can he not move the ball or protect the ball, but there's no room for growth there. He isn't going to suddenly become anything more than he is. 

Zach has shown some progress and he is by far the youngest QB on the roster. You start him, take the ropes off and tell him to sling it instead of telling him that he can't throw to anyone that isn't 100% open. He will probably suck, there's a chance that he could do something decent. Siemian and Boyle both looked WORSE than ZW and are older,less mobile and have weaker arms.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Did you see Siemian? There's nothing there man. 4 drives, three fumbles, no upside 

Playing Siemian at this stage is pointless not only can he not move the ball or protect the ball, but there's no room for growth there. He isn't going to suddenly become anything more than he is. 

Zach has shown some progress and he is by far the youngest QB on the roster. You start him, take the ropes off and tell him to sling it instead of telling him that he can't throw to anyone that isn't 100% open. He will probably suck, there's a chance that he could do something decent. Siemian and Boyle both looked WORSE than ZW and are older,less mobile and have weaker arms.

Yeah I'm all for the chaos. Rather watch Zach fire bombs each play and then Boyle noodle it for 3 plays and punt.

1 hour ago, Malik said:

Mailiks, that was one of the points in my post, I agree with you

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, drew39k said:

So much progress he was benched again for Tim Boyle lol I did and I’ve seen enough Zach Wilson that I’m willing to give the only other QB on the roster with starting experience one start after a week of reps and see what happens. None of them will be on the roster next year anyway. Personally I would have given Siemian one start. But the Jets and I hardly ever agree.

5 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

So much progress he was benched again for Tim Boyle lol I did and I’ve seen enough Zach Wilson that I’m willing to give the only other QB on the roster with starting experience one start after a week of reps and see what happens. None of them will be on the roster next year anyway. Personally I would have given Siemian one start. But the Jets and I hardly ever agree.

Let's be clear here. Zach was benched because the offense is broken. You can't replace the entire offense mid season but you can replace a QB since they can have the biggest single player impact. 

The jets tried replacing him as a desperate hope that maybe a change somewhere could spark something. The only thing the change did was make the offense WORSE because, as already mentioned, the offense is broken. 

I don't care if you are of watching Zach. Did watching Siemian fumble three times and fail to put up any points create a watchable experience for you? Putting Trevor Simian back out there doesn't make any sense. Not from an on field prospective, nor from a player development prospective.

The simplest fact is that if Lazard and company don't drop a million balls, or the offensive line didn't play like swiss cheese or Breece Hall didn't forget how to rush for more than a yard on first or second down, the offense would have been able to perform better, regardless of QB and in all likelihood, Zach wouldn't have been benched in the first place because he did show growth and improvement.

5 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Let's be clear here. Zach was benched because the offense is broken. You can't replace the entire offense mid season but you can replace a QB since they can have the biggest single player impact. 

The jets tried replacing him as a desperate hope that maybe a change somewhere could spark something. The only thing the change did was make the offense WORSE because, as already mentioned, the offense is broken. 

I don't care if you are of watching Zach. Did watching Siemian fumble three times and fail to put up any points create a watchable experience for you? Putting Trevor Simian back out there doesn't make any sense. Not from an on field prospective, nor from a player development prospective.

The simplest fact is that if Lazard and company don't drop a million balls, or the offensive line didn't play like swiss cheese or Breece Hall didn't forget how to rush for more than a yard on first or second down, the offense would have been able to perform better, regardless of QB and in all likelihood, Zach wouldn't have been benched in the first place because he did show growth and improvement.

LOL agree to disagree would be the best route to go here.

1 hour ago, NJerseypaint said:

Yeah I'm all for the chaos. Rather watch Zach fire bombs each play and then Boyle noodle it for 3 plays and punt.

Yup! That's see it. True chaos. I don't care if he throws 20 picks in the next few games. Just start bombing it everywhere.