Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

Okay, we're (the Jets) a few months away from the 2024 NFL Draft, all our eggs are in one basket with A.R., not a bad place to be in.

But looking forward, looking to the future, what lies past A.R. and lets not ponder another year with A.R. out because of poor line play.

I don't believe in being a snake bit organization, but just having a poorly run organization dating back 10 years before J.D.

Granted J.D. hasn't hit it out of the park with every F.A. signing, or draft pick, but he has built a formidable defense that is enjoying an elite status.

Likewise he has missed on many draft choices, and yet historically he has had the greatest draft haul in history in what I call the Sauce draft.

So where does that leave us looking to the future? Lets be clear, the Jets need a future QB, OT, WR, NT, and not only that they need starters.

So then the question begs, can we win without adding a WR in round 1, and the answer would be yes, or NT or QB or OT.

Our most pressing need, and it has been a total failure over the past 4 years going on J.D.'s 5th year is an OT, I'm not even mentioning G/C positions. But lets be clear here, we need both of those as well.

I'm not going to go in how desperate we are to add a future QB to sit behind A.R. like Love did in G.B., so as desperately as the Jets need an OT and this would be my first choice going in by far.

The Jets need to address the future QB position even if it costs us a 1st round pick and have to wait until the second round or trade one of our vaunted D linemen to get back into the 1st round or at the least the second round. 

As far as our current roster the OL talent is not even adequate, you can't ask a boxer like Joe Frazer to fight like Mohammad Ali, one is a bulldozer the other floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee. Two different animals all together.

Likewise we can't expect OL to play faster if they are slow and clumsy or weak physically, and I'm sorry to say we have some big guys who are slow and clumsy and shouldn't even be on the team. But the dearth in the NFL of quality OL is staggering.

I don't see a win, win scenario with the Jets unless they can trade down if the top OL are gone, sign and trade Bryce Huff for some draft picks this year or mortgage next years draft capitol in order to do whatever it takes to win this year.

The entire Jets team including A.R. is on the clock and like evolution, its not winding up its winding down, the sun isn't getting stronger its getting weaker.

I don't know where or how the Jets go from here, but I do know this, stay away from all pro OT who are past their prime and have a history of being injured. Rather than go for a potential starting OT in FA, sign the best G in FA, begin to solidify the OL from within.

Signing McGovern as a back up C is a good signing, Mr. T should be the starter or at worse, move T to G along with a FA G and put McG back at C and AVT at T at the least you would have cohesiveness and 4 healthy bodies.

Then if you have to draft a T/G be it in round 1 or 2-7 you have a respectable OL as a base. The one thing I don't want to see is the Jets passing on a QB, Prescott, Mahommes or Wilson, or Watson, just to give you an insight on what we have passed on.

The Jets need to have a developmental QB in the wings, one who can pass, and run, and put the onus on opposing D's to have to play in a disadvantage

Having a multidimensional QB like Allen or L. Jackson put defenses on their toes, and in some sense make it difficult to completely shut down an Offense.

The Jets need to draft a QB this year, and not one in the 7th round. O Line and QB should be on the top of the Jets list of roster ad's.

1 hour ago, Big T said:

Okay, we're (the Jets) a few months away from the 2024 NFL Draft, all our eggs are in one basket with A.R., not a bad place to be in.

But looking forward, looking to the future, what lies past A.R. and lets not ponder another year with A.R. out because of poor line play.

I don't believe in being a snake bit organization, but just having a poorly run organization dating back 10 years before J.D.

Granted J.D. hasn't hit it out of the park with every F.A. signing, or draft pick, but he has built a formidable defense that is enjoying an elite status.

Likewise he has missed on many draft choices, and yet historically he has had the greatest draft haul in history in what I call the Sauce draft.

So where does that leave us looking to the future? Lets be clear, the Jets need a future QB, OT, WR, NT, and not only that they need starters.

So then the question begs, can we win without adding a WR in round 1, and the answer would be yes, or NT or QB or OT.

Our most pressing need, and it has been a total failure over the past 4 years going on J.D.'s 5th year is an OT, I'm not even mentioning G/C positions. But lets be clear here, we need both of those as well.

I'm not going to go in how desperate we are to add a future QB to sit behind A.R. like Love did in G.B., so as desperately as the Jets need an OT and this would be my first choice going in by far.

The Jets need to address the future QB position even if it costs us a 1st round pick and have to wait until the second round or trade one of our vaunted D linemen to get back into the 1st round or at the least the second round. 

As far as our current roster the OL talent is not even adequate, you can't ask a boxer like Joe Frazer to fight like Mohammad Ali, one is a bulldozer the other floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee. Two different animals all together.

Likewise we can't expect OL to play faster if they are slow and clumsy or weak physically, and I'm sorry to say we have some big guys who are slow and clumsy and shouldn't even be on the team. But the dearth in the NFL of quality OL is staggering.

I don't see a win, win scenario with the Jets unless they can trade down if the top OL are gone, sign and trade Bryce Huff for some draft picks this year or mortgage next years draft capitol in order to do whatever it takes to win this year.

The entire Jets team including A.R. is on the clock and like evolution, its not winding up its winding down, the sun isn't getting stronger its getting weaker.

I don't know where or how the Jets go from here, but I do know this, stay away from all pro OT who are past their prime and have a history of being injured. Rather than go for a potential starting OT in FA, sign the best G in FA, begin to solidify the OL from within.

Signing McGovern as a back up C is a good signing, Mr. T should be the starter or at worse, move T to G along with a FA G and put McG back at C and AVT at T at the least you would have cohesiveness and 4 healthy bodies.

Then if you have to draft a T/G be it in round 1 or 2-7 you have a respectable OL as a base. The one thing I don't want to see is the Jets passing on a QB, Prescott, Mahommes or Wilson, or Watson, just to give you an insight on what we have passed on.

The Jets need to have a developmental QB in the wings, one who can pass, and run, and put the onus on opposing D's to have to play in a disadvantage

Having a multidimensional QB like Allen or L. Jackson put defenses on their toes, and in some sense make it difficult to completely shut down an Offense.

The Jets need to draft a QB this year, and not one in the 7th round. O Line and QB should be on the top of the Jets list of roster ad's.

I agree here but if Bo Nix, Caleb Williams, Mays, or Daniels is there at 10 you have to take them. Let them sit for 2 years. I don't care what AR thinks. The packers did this to him and so will the Jets. I don't think the OL is that great of a need more than coaching and staying healthy. AVT coming back, Tippmann getting a year in the league, Warren getting starting time to be a soild back up and add a FA T and G would pretty much lock it in. You can't have good OL guys all around. That is just not a realistic goal. I would like to see this for OL next year. Go after Smith hard from Dallas. They can't afford him and he played on a 1 year 6 mill deal. I think a 1 year 8 mill would do it. Then go after Hunt from Miami as a G. The line would look like this Smith Hunt Tip Tomlinson AVT. Long story short give me a QB at 10. This is where Mahomes, Jackson and a lot of other great QB's where taken and sat behind a Vet. You have to make this move. 

6 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

I still can’t talk myself into the Will McDonald pick. He’s only a year younger than Huff. Should have just extended Huff and drafted a WR, but I guess that’s hindsight.

McD will be better than Huff. He has much better bend than Huff and is faster. They drafted him to pair with JJ for years down the road. Huff is a nice story but he was no superstar. He is pretty much at his max right now. The best move is to sign and trade him. I think a team will give up a 3rd for him. I would love to get a second round pick out of it if the Jets pair it say a 5th or 4th next year and Huff for a second round pick. Once McD starts getting time you will see why they drafted him. He should be a ten plus sack guy and maybe even a 15 plus sack guy. This pick reminds me of the Hugh Douglas pick. It came out of no where and people hated it but once he got on the field he was a beast. 

11 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

McD will be better than Huff. He has much better bend than Huff and is faster. They drafted him to pair with JJ for years down the road. Huff is a nice story but he was no superstar. He is pretty much at his max right now. The best move is to sign and trade him. I think a team will give up a 3rd for him. I would love to get a second round pick out of it if the Jets pair it say a 5th or 4th next year and Huff for a second round pick. Once McD starts getting time you will see why they drafted him. He should be a ten plus sack guy and maybe even a 15 plus sack guy. This pick reminds me of the Hugh Douglas pick. It came out of no where and people hated it but once he got on the field he was a beast. 

Agree with the first 3-4 sentences but I think trading Huff for a 3rd would be awful and he has a place in the defense as a rotational starter. There is plenty of room for him, JJ and IV. We need to get rid of JFM. 

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Agree with the first 3-4 sentences but I think trading Huff for a 3rd would be awful and he has a place in the defense as a rotational starter. There is plenty of room for him, JJ and IV. We need to get rid of JFM. 

I think the Jets have to sign and trade him. I don't think he will fit in the cap space. I would rather spend that money on a good LT in FA like Williams or Smith. 

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think the Jets have to sign and trade him. I don't think he will fit in the cap space. I would rather spend that money on a good LT in FA like Williams or Smith. 

I understand the argument and everyone has a price, but it would have to be a good 2nd plus a Day 3. 

What happened to we need to pay our homegrown players, get more guys one second contracts, build culture etc. All out the window in one fell swoop with Rodgers. 

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I understand the argument and everyone has a price, but it would have to be a good 2nd plus a Day 3. 

What happened to we need to pay our homegrown players, get more guys one second contracts, build culture etc. All out the window in one fell swoop with Rodgers. 

I think it has a lot to do with the McDanold pick, good teams draft replacements for players a year in advance and it probably has to do with that ideology 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I think it has a lot to do with the McDanold pick, good teams draft replacements for players a year in advance and it probably has to do with that ideology 

Yes but they just preached pass rushing in waves. IV should be replacing Lawson and JFM. We’re going to have to draft another pass rusher to replace Huff. 

On 1/24/2024 at 10:07 AM, jetfuel34 said:

I agree here but if Bo Nix, Caleb Williams, Mays, or Daniels is there at 10 you have to take them. Let them sit for 2 years. I don't care what AR thinks. The packers did this to him and so will the Jets. I don't think the OL is that great of a need more than coaching and staying healthy. AVT coming back, Tippmann getting a year in the league, Warren getting starting time to be a soild back up and add a FA T and G would pretty much lock it in. You can't have good OL guys all around. That is just not a realistic goal. I would like to see this for OL next year. Go after Smith hard from Dallas. They can't afford him and he played on a 1 year 6 mill deal. I think a 1 year 8 mill would do it. Then go after Hunt from Miami as a G. The line would look like this Smith Hunt Tip Tomlinson AVT. Long story short give me a QB at 10. This is where Mahomes, Jackson and a lot of other great QB's where taken and sat behind a Vet. You have to make this move. 

The love pick was 26th overall, not 10th. The packers also had a better team so they had the luxury of taking him. There's a reason they drafted 26th and not 10th. And even then, they probably would have won a Superbowl if they drafted tee Higgins or Michael Pittman in that spot.

We have far too many hugely important needs to be drafting a backup QB, that won't play for at least two years, at 10 overall. We also do not have a second round pick, which severely hurts our ability to build this team.

4 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Yes but they just preached pass rushing in waves. IV should be replacing Lawson and JFM. We’re going to have to draft another pass rusher to replace Huff. 

Think they view Johnson as the JFM replacement and McDonald as the Lawson Replacement, we’re probably gonna draft another DE in the Mid rounds