Week 10 MNF GDT : DEN @ BUF

broncos67

31 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

I'm happy for the fans that are enjoying the past month and I'm not going to rain on the parade like an *******, but just I hope Sean doesn't trick himself into believing that Russ is the answer after this year. Despite his stats, he's not playing anywhere close to his contract, and he's not getting any younger. I believe we have our coach. (don't let anyone tell you that trading for a coach isn't worth it, btw) However, I'm a bit frustrated that we're more than likely going to have a mediocre record and as a result, picking in the middle of the first round. I was highkey hoping for a teardown, but that's not happening now.

The fact Sean is limiting the pass calls tells me he knows full well what’s happening.  

Don’t forget that Payton was set to take Mahomes in 2017 even with Brees still there before KC moved up.    I don’t think for a moment he can’t see what we all do.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MontanaBronco said:

Anyone been paying particular attention to the Oline lately? From what I can tell Cushenberry has been holding up relatively well. Anyone seeing anything different? 

Cush is having the Garrett Bolles Walk Year. He’s been really really good, not getting lost in pass pro nearly as often. I wonder if it’s just a matter of him having a clearer understanding of his assignments, which would come from better coaching from the offensive staff. Either way, big improvement. I’m happy for the guy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

It’s a PITA but you need to do 3 steps: 

1.   Change the url link from x.com to Twitter.com 

2.  Copy the url. 

3.  Paste it as plain text (not rich text) and choose to have it embed instead of display as a link.  

See below: 

This is well known and feedback has been given to Webby in the Feedback Forum but that’s the solution for now.   

Testing with a random link

Boom. Thanks  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Cush is having the Garrett Bolles Walk Year. He’s been really really good, not getting lost in pass pro nearly as often. I wonder if it’s just a matter of him having a clearer understanding of his assignments, which would come from better coaching from the offensive staff. Either way, big improvement. I’m happy for the guy. 

That was what I was thinking. This could be just blowing smoke, but depsite Russ's flaws I think he has a much better understanding of this offense and seems more comfortable pre snap communicating with the line/making protection call outs. That could also be because he is not worried about having to rush to the line after the play comes in with 7 sec left on the play clock every play though.

2 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

I'm happy for the fans that are enjoying the past month and I'm not going to rain on the parade like an *******, but just I hope Sean doesn't trick himself into believing that Russ is the answer after this year. Despite his stats, he's not playing anywhere close to his contract, and he's not getting any younger. I believe we have our coach. (don't let anyone tell you that trading for a coach isn't worth it, btw) However, I'm a bit frustrated that we're more than likely going to have a mediocre record and as a result, picking in the middle of the first round. I was highkey hoping for a teardown, but that's not happening now.

I think the way Sean is coaching directly indicates he knows Russ isn't the answer.

We need a long term answer at QB and not picking at the very top of the draft is going to make finding one all the more difficult. That being said, I agree with you - Sean is the first real HC we've had since Kubiak. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think the way Sean is coaching directly indicates he knows Russ isn't the answer.

We need a long term answer at QB and not picking at the very top of the draft is going to make finding one all the more difficult. That being said, I agree with you - Sean is the first real HC we've had since Kubiak. 

I wouldn't mind the Broncos taking a few flyers on some QBs they could potentially develop in the later rounds.  I am not sure how long Bo Nix lasts; but if he is there in the 3rd, could be interesting.  J.J. McCarthy in the 1st or 2nd? Who knows.  Or, do you wait a year for Riley Leonard?

1 minute ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I wouldn't mind the Broncos taking a few flyers on some QBs they could potentially develop in the later rounds.  I am not sure how long Bo Nix lasts; but if he is there in the 3rd, could be interesting.  J.J. McCarthy in the 1st or 2nd? Who knows.  Or, do you wait a year for Riley Leonard?

JJ McCarthy isn't worth a 1st round pick IMO.   This is one of those cases where need is pushing ppl to think he could be that guy.    Given it's taken Bo Nix until age 22 to succeed in Oregon after a ton of time in Auburn, same deal.     

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

JJ McCarthy isn't worth a 1st round pick IMO.   This is one of those cases where need is pushing ppl to think he could be that guy.    Given it's taken Bo Nix until age 22 to succeed in Oregon after a ton of time in Auburn, same deal.     

Yeah, my point is that if they are going to keep Russ for another year, why not take one of these guys to develop?  I like that both QBs are leading winning programs. 

5 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Yeah, my point is that if they are going to keep Russ for another year, why not take one of these guys to develop?  I like that both QBs are leading winning programs. 

That type of thinking is how you end up spending R1 picks on Mac Jones or Kenny Pickett.   Late-success, early-career-very little success guys are basically never elite QB's (Joe Burrow was late-success, but literally never got the opportunity due to transfer rules  on redshirt years that don't exist now).   We should absolutely go down the QBOTF route, but taking guys who aren't R1 talents purely out of need is a recipe for failure.     

I have no doubt Payton will want to look for a guy to be the future, I just hope it's not a reach R1 pick.  

20 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

That type of thinking is how you end up spending R1 picks on Mac Jones or Kenny Pickett.   Late-success, early-career-very little success guys are basically never elite QB's (Joe Burrow was late-success, but literally never got the opportunity due to transfer rules  on redshirt years that don't exist now).   We should absolutely go down the QBOTF route, but taking guys who aren't R1 talents purely out of need is a recipe for failure.     

I have no doubt Payton will want to look for a guy to be the future, I just hope it's not a reach R1 pick.  

It could be a hilarious outcome where we trade up with our pick plus a 1st rounder we get by someone not doing their due diligence on Russ and leverage that into a true top tier prospect. Pipe dream I know...but hey teams like the Bears exist!

9 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

It could be a hilarious outcome where we trade up with our pick plus a 1st rounder we get by someone not doing their due diligence on Russ and leverage that into a true top tier prospect. Pipe dream I know...but hey teams like the Bears exist!

Bears will get 1 of the top 2 QB's, so they're not a match but the idea is correct.   TBH I'd take a day 2 pick and 22M in extra cap relief (we eat 46M in dead cap if we trade him, 68M if we cut him - but we're on the hook for 36M anyways if he stayed - but the kicker is his 37M salary for 2025 guarantees if we kept him beyond mid-March - HARD PASS lol).     

This is the last time we'll be on prime time (assuming NE-us gets flexed out), so I just want Russ to look serviceable.   Anything that gets a team to bite.  QB is pretty desperate, that works in our favor, even in a heavy QB draft class (I mean, Tommy Devito, Tyler Bagent, Mac Jones / Bailey Zappe, Taylor Heinecke & Gardner Minshew are all starting, not to mention Zach Wilson).  But it's still going to have to be one heck of a con job to get any draft capital, just clearing the salary cap relief and moving on is a W.

Edited by Broncofan

Meinerz has probably been our best player on offense this year.

Check out these clips:

He's been doing this all year. I think Cush is probably going to walk considering the money we've paid out to other (lesser) players on the line, but we have to find a way to keep Meinerz after next year.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BroncoSojia said:

Meinerz has probably been our best player on offense this year.

Check out these clips:

He's been doing this all year. I think Cush is probably going to walk considering the money we've paid out to other (lesser) players on the line, but we have to find a way to keep Meinerz after next year.

I wasn’t sold on the pick when we made it. I thought the belly thing at the senior bowl was a nobody trying to get noticed. But dang has he proven me wrong. He’s probably our best player on offence. 

Speaking of draft QB’s, do we all love Jayden Daniels out of LSU? He was mostly a check down guy before this season, but he’s pushing the ball deep down field in 2023 and has looked great doing so. He reminds me of a hybrid between Lamar Jackson’s passing traits (the short arm action, the tendency to make arm-only throws instead of driving with the lower body) and Josh Allen’s style of running (great athlete for a bigger guy, but takes unnecessary hits). I also really like how many big throws he makes down the middle of the field. 

The numbers are just wild though. 30 TD’s to 4 INT’S, 71.4 comp% while averaging over 11 yards per attempt, plus the 900+ yards and 8 TD’s on the ground. Playing in the SEC. He’s almost 2 years older than Caleb and Drake so he’s certainly not in that tier, but I think I’ve got him at the top of the next group of guys like McCarthy, Penix, Nix, and Shedeur (if he declares).