HC McDaniels and GM Ziegler fired

NickButera

On 11/7/2023 at 9:54 PM, NYRaider said:

It's insane that we're going to pay DZ/JMD $85M combined over the next few years for what they did...

Imo it's insane we have to guarantee these contracts for those amounts to get a guy like Ziegler. Like really, he would only come if we would guarantee his contract? 

3 hours ago, Roninho said:

Imo it's insane we have to guarantee these contracts for those amounts to get a guy like Ziegler. Like really, he would only come if we would guarantee his contract? 

Pretty sure all coach and GM contract are guaranteed. Part of why players want that. 

3 hours ago, Roninho said:

its wild when you see the Dolphins got Mike McDaniels for 3.5 mil a year. . . Dan Campbell is making 2ish mil a year...

lets hire an up and coming coach to a reasonable contract, and make them show they are worht 10+ a year. 
we need to stop just throwing money at the hot coach. 

everyone has risks, everyone has the potential to fail. 
prove it, and we have an owner who has proven he is willing to pay top dollar for a coach, but you arent getting it until you prove you deserve it with the raiders. 

“Josh McDaniels was the decision maker and he was willing to [trade] for Bryce Young,” Hondo said on the Las Vegas Raiders Insider podcast.

“The interesting part was Dave Ziegler, the General Manager, thought height [and] durability were issues with Bryce. He liked him as a player and liked him as a guy, but didn’t think he was worthy there. He wanted to go up and get C.J. Stroud.”

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This all could have ended a heck of a lot worse than it did. 

DZ looks more competent by the day, just tied his career to the wrong guy. 

Agreed. Didn't want to sign Jimmy, preferred Stroud to Young but ultimately wasn't willing to leverage all of our future draft capital for either guy. 

Reportedly the players thought JMD lacked people skills and leadership. 

7 hours ago, Roninho said:

I don't give a c**p about him being more based and sensible of the two. The guy either was responsible for all these stupid moves, or he willingly accepted to be a yes-man to McDaniels. Guys like that are useless and the reason why the Raiders have been a sh*tshow for years.

As for his future, he has made his money but both scenario's basically will ensure that he will never get a shot as a GM again imo. 

Haha, you can feel how you want I guess 😄 but this is the problem when you employ the coach first or give them the power to choose the GM rather than get the GM in place first, and he picks his coach.

If you’re looking at it analytically I think you realise that McDaniels signed off on all those dumb moves whereas Ziegler certainly objected to some. Ultimately, he’ll have it on his record too, but I wouldn’t hold him wholly responsible. Ziegler didn’t want Garoppolo and preferred Stroud to Young, I think he had a better eye for talent than McDaniels but much like Mayock before him, as Gruden/McDaniels goes, so does his GM.

He is a kind of ‘yes man’ but I also think sometimes that is the only chance someone has of getting that role and maybe they take it thinking they can break out of the shadow. I think McDaniels is finished as a coach but Ziegler could succeed if he goes it alone.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 2

Fwiw, (and yes, there’s obviously recency bias) just read a poll on raiders wire asking who’s the biggest villain in Raiders history (coaches and players both) and it’s a runaway....47% mcdummy, second place went to AB with 17%.....roughly 540 votes....🤣🤣👍 yep, I’m an “old” guy, don’t know doodly about our team or fan base.....48yrs I’ve been a fan and there was no one close for me. Now, back to our regular scheduled programming 👍😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Have you seen Wilson the last 3-4 games?  He looks promising. This is the opinion of Wilson from September 

Mid season and all you can say about him is “promising” and that’s from a #7 pick considering the alternative choices. Not to mention he plays across from maxx.

8 hours ago, Roninho said:

I don't give a c**p about him being more based and sensible of the two. The guy either was responsible for all these stupid moves, or he willingly accepted to be a yes-man to McDaniels. Guys like that are useless and the reason why the Raiders have been a sh*tshow for years.

As for his future, he has made his money but both scenario's basically will ensure that he will never get a shot as a GM again imo. 

This. Preach bro. 🎯

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Agreed. Didn't want to sign Jimmy, preferred Stroud to Young but ultimately wasn't willing to leverage all of our future draft capital for either guy. 

Reportedly the players thought JMD lacked people skills and leadership. 

Any player that thinks Josh McDaniels doesn't lack people skills and leadership needs to be evaluated for a massive concussion lol. 

1 hour ago, Devilshark69 said:

Fwiw, (and yes, there’s obviously recency bias) just read a poll on raiders wire asking who’s the biggest villain in Raiders history (coaches and players both) and it’s a runaway....47% mcdummy, second place went to AB with 17%.....roughly 540 votes....🤣🤣👍 yep, I’m an “old” guy, don’t know doodly about our team or fan base.....48yrs I’ve been a fan and there was no one close for me. Now, back to our regular scheduled programming 👍😎

Surprised Mike Shanahan, Bill Callaghan or JaMarcus didn’t feature but as you say, recency bias I guess……..