Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

21 hours ago, Refugee said:

As a Packer fan I’m just hoping Vrabel is the odd man out in the musical chairs for the most desirable gigs, gets back with LaFluer as a top notch DC and uses the SB victory as a springboard to whatever young team he wants. Of course, in this scenario he also brings up a protégé to take over once he gets back to HC. 

8eaf757b-6b33-46dc-9446-03e2db36cb76_tex

• Like 3

On 1/22/2024 at 2:03 PM, notthatbluestuff said:

Serious question - is Telesco really that bad? As far back as I remember those Chargers kept being sexy preseason picks for all their talent on the roster. Doesn’t that suggest the GM was doing his job?

On 1/22/2024 at 2:06 PM, Xenos said:

I think he’s a conservative GM that can decently identify first round talent but has serious issues on day 2 and 3. I’m glad he stopped trading up but never traded down.

On 1/22/2024 at 2:23 PM, Nightmare said:

Also has a very sketchy record of hiring Head Coaches with the Chargers.

Not that he'd have to worry about that with the Raiders, who have Maxx Crosby deciding who we hire as HC.

Telesco also did a terrible job of team construction:

-Never getting the run stopping DL the Chargers desperately needed 

-Deciding that Kenneth Murray was fine as their ILB (spoiler:  he wasn't)

-Signing JC Jackson as a terrible fit for what the Chargers pass D was about

-Pulling the trigger on Quentin Johnston was the final killer draft mistake (over Zay Flowers & Jordan Addison)

Yes, he drafted Justin Herbert & Rashawn Slater in recent years, but those were auto-picks for where the Chargers were on the board.   Yes, he traded for Khalil Mack, but that's more on CHI cutting bait than it was on Telesco.    Keenan Allen might be his greatest value pick in R3.   Really, he's underwhelmed in a big way as GM.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Xenos said:

I think he’s a conservative GM that can decently identify first round talent but has serious issues on day 2 and 3. I’m glad he stopped trading up but never traded down.

Yup. His teams are poor man versions of the teams he helped build in Indy. A few star players at important positions (QB, pass-rusher, receiver etc.). But zero depth (especially in the trenches). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Telesco also did a terrible job of team construction:

-Never getting the run stopping DL the Chargers desperately needed 

-Deciding that Kenneth Murray was fine as their ILB (spoiler:  he wasn't)

-Signing JC Jackson as a terrible fit for what the Chargers pass D was about

-Pulling the trigger on Quentin Johnston was the final killer draft mistake (over Zay Flowers & Jordan Addison)

Yes, he drafted Justin Herbert & Rashawn Slater in recent years, but those were auto-picks for where the Chargers were on the board.   Yes, he traded for Khalil Mack, but that's more on CHI cutting bait than it was on Telesco.    Keenan Allen might be his greatest value pick in R3.   Really, he's underwhelmed in a big way as GM.  

Some of that was Staley’s decision rather than Telesco’s. I guess good or bad, Telesco also almost makes decisions based on what his HC wants.

8 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Some of that was Staley’s decision rather than Telesco’s. I guess good or bad, Telesco also almost makes decisions based on what his HC wants.

Fair but the lack of emphasis on run stopping DL & ILB goes back to his pre-Staley days too.    He really wasted the peak Phillip Rivers / Allen years ignoring the trenches.  

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

We riot.

Why would anyone interview this guy?! "Yeah, you know that guy who led the Bears to some of the worst offensive outputs in the NFL and also completely failed to develop Justin Fields even a little bit? Yeah, let's get that guy!"

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Why would anyone interview this guy?! "Yeah, you know that guy who led the Bears to some of the worst offensive outputs in the NFL and also completely failed to develop Justin Fields even a little bit? Yeah, let's get that guy!"

Might be doing some digging on Fields himself.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

It’s just weird that they seemed all in on Belichick but are now doing second interview requests for guys that won’t be available until next week.