Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

12 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Imo the Falcons should be going for Slowik over Ben Johnson with how their team is constructed currently. You can essentially replicate exactly what the Niners are doing in Atlanta if you can move up to get your QB and look how much Slowik can unlock a young talent at QB. To me that seems like an obvious great fit with Bijan, Pitts, and London already in place on offense and a solid defensive core.

Honestly, either guy makes a ton of sense. 

Ben Johnson has Amon-Ra, LaPorta, Gibbs and Monty.

Slowik in SF had Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, McCaffrey, and Mitchell and in HOU has unlocked Schultz, Collins and Tank Dell. 

Either guy would have fun in Atlanta with London, Bijan, Pitts, Jonnu and Allgeier.

1 minute ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Is this going to be like a Shanahan situation where it's common knowledge that the Commanders will hire Johnson - but they have to wait until after the Super Bowl to confirm?

Teams can’t announce hiring a for coaches under contract and still playing  until the end of the season.    So yes that’s very much in play.    I’d be shocked at this stage if Johnson - WAS didn’t happen.    And I’m leaning way more to Slowik - ATL than a couple of days ago.  

https://theathletic.com/5191174/2024/01/10/nfl-coach-interview-rules/?amp=1

20 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Teams can’t announce hiring a for coaches under contract and still playing  until the end of the season.    So yes that’s very much in play.    I’d be shocked at this stage if Johnson - WAS didn’t happen.    And I’m leaning way more to Slowik - ATL than a couple of days ago.  

https://theathletic.com/5191174/2024/01/10/nfl-coach-interview-rules/?amp=1

I know the rules - I was just asking if Johnson is practically a certainty for the Commanders at this point. 

24 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I know the rules - I was just asking if Johnson is practically a certainty for the Commanders at this point. 

They want him for sure. But Johnson could very well decide to go to a different team.

20 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

He’s 72.

And he finished 1 game better than Arthur Smith has the last 3 seasons.

43 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/arthur-blank-is-panicking-in-total-disarray-over-falcons-hc-search/

Arthur Blank is ‘panicking, in total disarray’ over Falcons HC search

I'm listening to it now. He says that, but notes it's about whether or not the Falcons owner wants to completely get rid of McKay and Fontenot and how he's panicking about not wanting to do that. Not the HC search.

Edited by scar988
  • Like 1

Regarding the Atlanta Falcons. I think there might be a possibility here of them- and Scar/other Falcons fans, correct me if I'm wrong - Blank/et. al. might like Belichick but they don't want his entire band back together. 

To draw a parallel (and I know every situation is different), but in 2016 Gary Kubiak retired for health reasons from the Broncos. Joe Ellis, then the team CEO acting on behalf of the Pat Bowlen Trust, didn't want the Shanahans back in the building so we hired Vance instead of Kyle, despite Elway being "so blown away" by Kyle's interview, he had second thoughts even though Vance was his initial choice.

Fast forward a couple years after the Vance debacle and Elway wanted to hire Vic Fangio to run the defense and handle the other media/corporate/PR duties that come with being the HC but bring back Kubiak to run the offense. Problem was, Kubiak wanted to put his band back together on the offensive staff, which Elway himself found offensive as he didn't want the likes of Brian Pariani, Rick Dennison, Clancy Barone, et. al. back as he felt the game had passed them by and wanted position coaches filled out from the "new" Shanahan/McVay tree, and Kubes said no. 

I think BB wants to bring his band back together and Blank doesn't want the likes of McDaniels, Judge, Patricia, etc. in his building. Also, BB will want absolute control and it appears, at least to me, that Blank likes to be at least kept in the loop - not that he wants to be Jerry Jones, but he wants to be involved - and have McKay, who is extremely powerful in league circles, also involved. Bill likely wants to run his own show and have a boss whose job doesn't extend beyond signing the checks. 

I could be wrong.  

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Regarding the Atlanta Falcons. I think there might be a possibility here of them - and Scar/other Falcons fans, correct me if I'm wrong - but Blank/et. al. might like Belichick but they don't want his entire band back together. 

To draw a parallel (and I know every situation is different), but in 2016 Gary Kubiak retired for health reasons from the Broncos. Joe Ellis, then the team CEO acting on behalf of the Pat Bowlen Trust, didn't want the Shanahans back in the building so we hired Vance instead of Kyle, despite Elway being "so blown away" but Kyle's interview, he had second thoughts even though Vance was his initial choice.

Fast forward a couple years after the Vance debacle and Elway wanted to hire Vic Fangio to run the defense and handle the other media/corporate/PR duties that come with being the HC but bring back Kubiak to run the offense. Problem was, Kubiak wanted to put his band back together on the offensive staff, which Elway himself found offensive as he didn't want the likes of Brian Pariani, Rick Dennison, Clancy Barone, et. al. back as he felt the game had passed them by and wanted position coaches filled out from the "new" Shanahan/McVay tree, and Kubes said no. 

I think BB wants to bring his band back together and Blank doesn't want the likes of McDaniels, Judge, Patricia, etc. in his building. Also, BB will want absolute control and it appears, at least to me, that Blank likes to be at least kept in the loop - not that he wants to be Jerry Jones, but he wants to be involved - and have McKay, who is extremely powerful in league circles, also involved. Bill likely wants to run his own show and have a boss whose job doesn't extend beyond signing the checks. 

I could be wrong.  

This is broadly correct (to the extent any of us can know). The Falcons are way more 'corporate'  in operations than many other teams so Bill wanting to come in and go full 'old school' and blow it up is a hard pill to swallow. I'm sure Bill's icy relationship with Kraft was gossiped a lot within league circles for a while now and that likely doesn't help. Honestly I think there's enough quality candidates left that Belicheck loses out but you never know with these things.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Regarding the Atlanta Falcons. I think there might be a possibility here of them- and Scar/other Falcons fans, correct me if I'm wrong - Blank/et. al. might like Belichick but they don't want his entire band back together. 

To draw a parallel (and I know every situation is different), but in 2016 Gary Kubiak retired for health reasons from the Broncos. Joe Ellis, then the team CEO acting on behalf of the Pat Bowlen Trust, didn't want the Shanahans back in the building so we hired Vance instead of Kyle, despite Elway being "so blown away" by Kyle's interview, he had second thoughts even though Vance was his initial choice.

I could be wrong.  

This is exactly right. Blank likes his weekly progress meetings on Mondays. He likes having an open line with the coach. And he doesn't want McKay out of the building. 

Belichick wants total control, and the Falcons will not give that to him. IF they wouldn't give it to Parcells in 2008, why would they give it to Bill in 2024.

This is why Bill won't be here.

4 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

This is broadly correct (to the extent any of us can know). The Falcons are way more 'corporate'  in operations than many other teams so Bill wanting to come in and go full 'old school' and blow it up is a hard pill to swallow. I'm sure Bill's icy relationship with Kraft was gossiped a lot within league circles for a while now and that likely doesn't help. Honestly I think there's enough quality candidates left that Belicheck loses out but you never know with these things.

Absolutely. "Cooperative" is what I hear all the time in terms of how Blank runs the organization. Bill is a dictator. His way or the highway. Very clashing on a basic level.

• Like 3