Antonio Pierce named HC

NCOUGHMAN

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Raiders didn’t miss out on any good HC candidates this past offseason. Ben Johnson stayed. Bobby Slowik stayed. Vrabel will be available. Frank Smith as well. Raiders lost nothing in giving AP a chance. If it fails then you get rid of him and then go after someone else. This time you will have a high draft pick to take a QB. 

I think Pierce deserves Atleast a year and not a mid season fire. Unless he loses the locker room and becomes a prick. Even if he sucks as a coach, he would lead us to our QB of the future. If the team is like 2-15 , thanks tank commander Pierce. 

hire a Offensive guru to pair with the 1st round 

2 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Definitely agree with this.

he got outcoached by Harbaugh.. that’s going to happen to good coaches to.

week 1, against divisonal rival, this game was a coin flip. If you thought it was an easy win going into it, youre being a homer.

for as ugly as the O was, we were in the game, and the players were fighting

Season not over yet. But I do think we likely lose next week too 😭

Well, at least 1 or 2 were. 

This team isn't well coached, much less just getting outcoached. If a week 1 loss led to tempers flaring, it's going to go off the rails quick. I'm sure Hondo and Tashan will downplay it like they did with McDaniels, but my gut tells me guys start to check out by week 5. 

By the bye week, this experiment should be over, whether it's made official or not. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, G said:

AP deserves this season and I've had a feeling that Gruden will be brought back so I'm hoping AP does well enough to keep that from happening. lol

That would be one of the worst things we could do, but at the same time it just feels like a very Raiders thing and wouldn’t really shock me if it did happen.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Darbsk said:

By ‘time’, I’m not thinking three or four years to implement his vision, I’m saying don’t knee jerk and fire him after three weeks. See what he does this year, whether he learns from mistakes and if you feel he has improved and offers something moving into year two and beyond. That then gives us the opportunity, assuming we are able to pick a new QB, to align the QB with either AP or if you don’t think he’s the guy bring in a new guy simultaneous with the rookie QB to draft his guy.

I'm always a fan of being patient with coaches. I didn't want AP hired as my biggest concern was how he would construct an offensive staff and improve on a terrible 2023 offense. Outside Matt Canada in Pittsburg, he choose arguably the most criticized OC in the league last year. The QB coach is also a dud, but that's another story for another day and thankfully he's not hands on with a rookie. 

I hope we see some growth, but I've yet to see one decision from AP both on the field and in constructing the staff/roster that inspire much confidence.

Interim coaches don't work historically. They get an emotional burst simply not being the other guy, win some games but then fall flat when it's their turn to build it out. Week 1 was not a good audition. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Raiders didn’t miss out on any good HC candidates this past offseason. Ben Johnson stayed. Bobby Slowik stayed. Vrabel will be available. Frank Smith as well. Raiders lost nothing in giving AP a chance. If it fails then you get rid of him and then go after someone else. This time you will have a high draft pick to take a QB. 

Jim Harbaugh? Vrabel was available. I'd have taken either over AP.

The downside, let's say Davis agrees they need a QB so he can't judge the staff. They get another year, hand pick a QB and are not equipped to develop him. Do you really want Getsy and Scangarello developing your rookie QB?

• Like 3

Pierce had one very bad decision yesterday which was the 4th and 1 4Q decision. Can’t punt in that position. 

Other than that, I thought the defense played very well. The turnovers and missed FG was the main issues yesterday 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I'm always a fan of being patient with coaches. I didn't want AP hired as my biggest concern was how he would construct an offensive staff and improve on a terrible 2023 offense. Outside Matt Canada in Pittsburg, he choose arguably the most criticized OC in the league last year. The QB coach is also a dud, but that's another story for another day and thankfully he's not hands on with a rookie. 

I hope we see some growth, but I've yet to see one decision from AP both on the field and in constructing the staff/roster that inspire much confidence.

Interim coaches don't work historically. They get an emotional burst simply not being the other guy, win some games but then fall flat when it's their turn to build it out. Week 1 was not a good audition. 

Agree totally.

I really wanted Harbaugh as HC, thought he’d build a solid team from the inside out with a great run game and that would make it easier to ease a rookie QB in sometime in the future, plus he also used to be a QB himself and seems to put just enough on their plate. Did it with Kaepernick and McCarthy and just gets the best of them by building a complimentary and supportive team.

Hope Pierce improves and lives up to his talk, he’s still very young so plenty of improvement to be had. This will be telling to see how he responds and how the team responds.

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Agree totally.

I really wanted Harbaugh as HC, thought he’d build a solid team from the inside out with a great run game and that would make it easier to ease a rookie QB in sometime in the future, plus he also used to be a QB himself and seems to put just enough on their plate. Did it with Kaepernick and McCarthy and just gets the best of them by building a complimentary and supportive team.

Hope Pierce improves and lives up to his talk, he’s still very young so plenty of improvement to be had. This will be telling to see how he responds and how the team responds.

Issue I see for AP is if you're going be his style, you have to compliment it. Campbell in Detroit for example with Ben Johnson. Ryans and Slowik. He made a suspect hire in Getsy that could be his undoing. 

If you're a defensive HC, you're only going as far as your OC/QB take you. He needed a home run and he hit a single on both this offseason. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Issue I see for AP is if you're going be his style, you have to compliment it. Campbell in Detroit for example with Ben Johnson. Ryans and Slowik. He made a suspect hire in Getsy that could be his undoing. 

If you're a defensive HC, you're only going as far as your OC/QB take you. He needed a home run and he hit a single on both this offseason. 

Right! This is where I feel that he messed up(where do I start with this..)

• The first problem with the OC search(that most on here missed) was the fact that he took his sweet time to where the options were slim(causing the OC market to dry up fast). He said he was purposely going to take his sweet time and explore what he was looking for. This is a huge problem because it took forever. 
  • Then when the options were slim he went with kliff kingsbery(which I had no problem with) but once he backed out of the deal(which in and of itself was not APs fault) it created a situtiation where the options were slim 
  • This is when Luke Getsy was hired(Which at its best was not APs first choice & its worse was a desperation move). This was a big problem because A. He wasnt a good candidate to begin with(He was fired by a failed franchise). He has no redeeming qualities. He led the NFL in rushing because he had a running QB who was supposedly the cause of his failure in the first place. B. He wasnt the best OC for the Job. There were other OCs that werent crazy good but were still available at the time(Kelly, Bienamy) And one that was actually good(Klint). 

I wouldnt have had a problem with it had it worked but it hasnt. 

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I agree with the sentiment. Speaking personally, I simply don’t know enough about Luke Getsy to give an informed opinion on whether he was a good hire or not, there may be a few on here that really know their stuff but I suspect most on this forum are just parroting others’ opinions when it comes to coordinators and position coaches, I’ll simply have to wait and see with Getsy.

I think you can watch a players film and make a reasonable assessment of that player after a while, but judging coaches is so fraught with variables I don’t think the majority of us can. HC is a little different as he’s ultimately responsible but coaches and coordinators I need to see with us honestly. Nobody is giving Getsy a chance and whilst they may all be proven totally correct in the fullness of time I simply dont trust most posters opinions on coaches as I don’t think they’re in position or possession of the requisite knowledge to know. Saying that, there are a few here I really respect their opinions 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I agree with the sentiment. Speaking personally, I simply don’t know enough about Luke Getsy to give an informed opinion on whether he was a good hire or not, there may be a few on here that really know their stuff but I suspect most on this forum are just parroting others’ opinions when it comes to coordinators and position coaches, I’ll simply have to wait and see with Getsy.

I think you can watch a players film and make a reasonable assessment of that player after a while, but judging coaches is so fraught with variables I don’t think the majority of us can. HC is a little different as he’s ultimately responsible but coaches and coordinators I need to see with us honestly. Nobody is giving Getsy a chance and whilst they may all be proven totally correct in the fullness of time I simply dont trust most posters opinions on coaches as I don’t think they’re in position or possession of the requisite knowledge to know. Saying that, there are a few here I really respect their opinions 😉

Don't disagree. I saw a lot of breakdowns on Getsy's offense last year. A lot of issues with spacing. we saw a little bit of that yesterday. I will be interested to see how it progresses and some of the film that comes out. But always hard to judge an OC with a bad QB. But it is his job to elevate the players and play to their strengths. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Don't disagree. I saw a lot of breakdowns on Getsy's offense last year. A lot of issues with spacing. we saw a little bit of that yesterday. I will be interested to see how it progresses and some of the film that comes out. But always hard to judge an OC with a bad QB. But it is his job to elevate the players and play to their strengths. 

Nope because ultimately the staff with the Getsy on it picked Gardner Minshew. Therefore he is without excuse in that regard also

58 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Nope because ultimately the staff with the Getsy on it picked Gardner Minshew. Therefore he is without excuse in that regard also

This for me. 

I wasn't a fan of the objective lack of HC search and I wasn't a fan of the Telesco hire. 

The timeline I see looks like this:

Upon figuring out Harbaugh was going elsewhere, Chump Kelly who I am highly critical of, was largely left in charge of the HC search and went with his boy AP, probably so they can dance together in the locker room. No genuine coaching search was made. 

AP got gaga eyes for Jayden Daniels and locked in on the idea of getting him and helped get Kliff on board, tentatively. 

In the meantime Telesco gets hired because we couldn't attract a "name" candidate given the unpopular move of AP. Nobody wanted their first gig to be attached to a QB-less team picking near the mid 1st, a likely lameduck HC they didn't pick, and few resources. 

Things on the contract front take a turn when Telesco is announced and over the week it becomes apparent he's going to do his thing and not move up for Daniels (not going to get in the debate about whether it was possible or wise or not). Kliff pulls put. 

AP realizes he's not getting his golden boy and Telesco had no viable contacts from his Chargers days on offense (the good ones are HCs, Reich is retired, Frank Smith chose Miami, and  Whisenhunt is in college ball now. Only other option is Mike McCoy who has Sunshine down there in Jacksonville. 

At this point, they had to scramble amd settle for Luke Getsy. And here we are. 

This is what happens when you let an interim GM pick a HC and then hire a GM afterwards. There wasn't a hope of a cohesive plan until a GM was in place, and Lord knows what AP's vision was in the meantime and what the brass was promoting to potential staff. Much of it seemed to lean heavily on doing whatever it took to move up for Daniels (again, the viability of it is irrelevant here). Then we hired/settled for a GM that almost assuredly shut those pipe dreams down. By then, it's February and they now have to find staff amd come up with some sort of contingency plan on how to build, and I don't thing they were particularly close in ideas going into it. 

That's why you hire a GM before you grab your HC. The personnel plan gets laid out before brainstorming begins and you're not trying to build a foundation on sloppy seconds. We went the nepotism route from the start, and nothing went according to plan afterwards. Telesco was totally random, but it makes sense given the draft slot, our roster, and HC choice. Getsy was totally random. The draft was fairly random (not saying bad, but there was a good bit of "huh?" In it). It looks and feels all patchwork, because it has been all sorts of funky patchwork.

Every strange choice since then is the product of a fubar'd process, and they own it.