Coach of the year

Steelersfan43

9 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

It goes back to expectations vs. reality. BAL was picked to win the division with double digit wins and they did just that. Therefore the 'impressivness' of their season doesnt shine as bright as others.

Its what happens with a established good coach and a capable roster

Incorrect - the Bengals were favored to win the AFC North at the start of the season. 

EDIT: Also, I'll add that the Ravens preseason win total was 10.5 and the Browns was 9.5. Thus far the Ravens are 1.5 games above the Browns, and therefore have exceeded expectation to a greater degree than the Browns. But if the Ravens lose Sunday they will be tied. 

Edited by AngusMcFife

11 hours ago, Soggust said:

I'm just trying to get to a 2x Harbaugh coty over a 2x Stefanski coty.

Unfortunately, I can't really argue the facts of the case, nor the letter of the law, against Stefanski this year.

So, I'm just pounding on the table and trying to confuse the jury with alternative ideas.

The only way Stefanski loses this award is if locker room audio is released of him praising Al Qaeda's organization and teamwork during 9/11.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, the two clearest coach of the year candidates are Sean McVay and DeMeco Ryans.

Both had preseason win over/unders of 6.5, and got 10 wins to make the playoffs. 

I'm not really sold on Stefanski simply because the Browns were projected to win 9.5 wins and be a wild card team. They outperformed their projection by 1.5 games. That's not even the best overachievement in the division. The Ravens were projected to be a wild card with an over/under of 10.5 wins, and they won 13 and were the most dominant team in the entire league and 1 seed. 

Just now, AngusMcFife said:

For me, the two clearest coach of the year candidates are Sean McVay and DeMeco Ryans.

Both had preseason win over/unders of 6.5, and got 10 wins to make the playoffs. 

I'm not really sold on Stefanski simply because the Browns were projected to win 9.5 wins and be a wild card team. They outperformed their projection by 1.5 games. That's not even the best overachievement in the division. The Ravens were projected to be a wild card with an over/under of 10.5 wins, and they won 13 and were the most dominant team in the entire league and 1 seed. 

Feel like you forgot a major piece the puzzle here. Stefanski wont be considered because the Browns won 11 games. He will be considered because they won 11 games with the highest % of salary cap on IR in the NFL and winning games with 4 different starters and playing 5 different QBs total. Thats averages to be a different QB every 3.5 games of the season.

He hit the grand slam

• Win a game with a rookie QB
  • Win a game with a XFL QB
  • Win a game with a overpaid creeper
  • Win a game with a dad off the couch

achievement-unlicked.gif

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Feel like you forgot a major piece the puzzle here. Stefanski wont be considered because the Browns won 11 games. He will be considered because they won 11 games with the highest % of salary cap on IR in the NFL and winning games with 4 different starters and playing 5 different QBs total. Thats averages to be a different QB every 3.5 games of the season.

He hit the grand slam

• Win a game with a rookie QB
  • Win a game with a XFL QB
  • Win a game with a overpaid creeper
  • Win a game with a dad off the couch

achievement-unlicked.gif

If Stefanski had taken a rag-tag group of offensive players and coached them up to an average unit, that would have been remarkable. 

But their offense was genuine garbage (28th in DVOA). Their success is due to having an awesome defense, which he doesn't coach. 

I'm just not going to credit him for with evaluating his backup QBs so poorly that he had to call up Flacco to save the season. 

If Stefanski had taken a rag-tag group of offensive players and coached them up to an average unit, that would have been remarkable. 

But their offense was genuine garbage (28th in DVOA). Their success is due to having an awesome defense, which he doesn't coach. 

I'm just not going to credit him for with evaluating his backup QBs so poorly that he had to call up Flacco to save the season. 

Yes, because the head coach isn't responsible for the team as a whole, right? Does he get no credit for hiring Schwartz? Lazy take.

Again, we get you don't like Stefanski. It's painfully obvious any time you post about him.

Th Ravens rotate their 3rd and 4th OTs in the game regularly with little drop off from the starters and had a top 5 offense. Am I supposed to be in awe of Cleveland using their 4th and 5th tackles on their way to a bottom 5 offense? 

Are we going to pretend rotating your backup OTs often is the same thing as having to start them and then also losing depth behind them? Cleveland also has historically used their backup OTs often under Stefanski. Big difference in starting your third string RT and a LT who was signed off the street midway through the season.

Another dumb take.